The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Thunder Rosa is alive!

It's been a rocky road with Kenny but I can't get enough of his promo from a couple of weeks back. My line of the year . .

"I'll get an extra measure of pleasure when Cowboy Shit turns into . . . Belt Collector! Belt Collector! Belt Collector!"

Hilarious, and felt completely off the cuff, yet is was still lame enough to take the air out of the room and get a shit ton of boos. Loved it.

19 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Legitimately feels like a pay per view.

The craziest thing is that I've actually lost count of how many times we've been able to say that about a Dynamite show and genuinely mean it. They've managed to do it a good number of times and keep doing it!

• Paid Members

That lineup looks fantastic, doesn't really need the announcement of an announcement though, that's out of the Dixie Carter playbook. Jericho looks such a twat in that gimmick.

I'm not a death match or Hardcore fan, but I'm really interested in the Jericho / Gage match, especially with it being live. Proud and Powerful / FTR will be a banger for sure.

Both teams of FTR and Santana/Ortiz are wrestling their first televised 2-versus-2 tag match tonight since mid-February.

In that same time the Young Bucks have wrestled NINE televised 2-versus-2 tag matches.

I've seen a lot of "No other team is on the Young Bucks' level right now" tweets recently, and that's what prompted me to look that up. 

I had no idea about the Tony Khan announcement! That's exciting, I really do hope it's a UK tour or PPV, although I'm not sure they'd be allowed to do that any time soon under US Covid rules. It must be something pretty significant if Tony Khan's actually going to appear on the show, though. 

• Paid Members

I'm hoping the TK announcement is some sort of big annual tournament. Something like a BOLA or TPI, or even their own version of a round-robin G1. They're gonna have a lot of programming to fill with Rampage and quarterly specials so they'll need to fill that time with something. It'll be a great way for the younger talent to get their reps in, as well as being a good vehicle to get some mid/upper-carders to the next level.

On the Gage/Jericho front, for anyone who isn't familiar with Gage (and even those of you who are), please don't get your hopes too high tonight. Nick Gage works best in smaller, intimate environments where he can take the lead and has no restrictions to work around. You're not going to have that same energy from his entrance and pro-longed ring announcement on an episode of Dynamite, and his flaws will be on show. I think at best, the match will fall a little flat, and at worse it'll stink up the joint. He's not going to win over anybody who isn't already a fan (like myself) but it's still going to be really cool to see and I really fucking hope that both he and Jericho prove me wrong on all those points.

MDK! ALL FUCKING DAY!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I had no idea about the Tony Khan announcement! That's exciting, I really do hope it's a UK tour or PPV, although I'm not sure they'd be allowed to do that any time soon under US Covid rules. It must be something pretty significant if Tony Khan's actually going to appear on the show, though. 

If I had to take a punt, didn't they recently trademark Battle of the Belts?

Probably an annual PPV featuring NWA, AAA, New Japan, Impact etc.

Edited by garynysmon

Anyone expecting the usual Nick Gage bloodbath needs their heads checking.

Im sure that Jericho will be willing to work, but he isn’t fucking daft*. They can tease the Pizza Cutter throughout the match, but he ain’t going to get major blood from it.

* Political outlook aside

Been watching the first night of Fyter Fest. 

Can't believe in 2021 they got away with Hardy vs Christian. Fully expected the fans to audibly groan. 

Then again the same fans chanted "this is awesome" for a match where two wrestlers nearly fucked up a hip toss (I'm not asking for the return of "you fucked up" chants but fuck off was the FTW match "awesome"). 

Also, I know that Jake Roberts is a bit of a rambling mess but fuck letting Archer talk. 

Props for doing a deliciously lame backstage wrestling segment between Jericho, MJF and Shawn Speares though. People underestimate the joy of lame backstage wrestling segments. The show needs more people trying to act surprised as someone who's clearly been in the room all along comes into shot and less people I haven't given a toss about for 10 years wrestling against each other in meaningless matches. 

The thing that drives me up the wall with AEW is when they do things that are bad when WWE do them. Like, if WWE offered me Christian vs. Matt in 2021 I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd still think "fuck right off." When AEW does it I think "fuck right off" and "seriously, that's your alternative?"