Nick Gage hitting Chris Jericho with light tubes in a TV main event in the year of The Lord 2021, what the actual fuck. I love AEW.
I thought the overall show was a mixed bag with some very high highs and some shite in it too.
- From a business standpoint, the past few weeks AEW has had sponsorship from Street Fighter, Kong vs Godzilla and now Space Jam. This can only be seen as a really good thing. There's a big, modern and current sponsorships which show that AEW is getting the right kind of attention. Very promising!
- Two of the greatest entrances in wrestling history right there. Heartwarming, lovely and badass babyfaces and hilarious, utter dickhead heels. Love it. The tag match was really fucking great too with a perfect finish. There's over a month till All Out, they have to throw more obstacles in Hangman's way till then so a loss here makes sense and doesn't hurt the story.
- The Starks celebration was ok but I felt like they didn't really go big enough with it. Hard to really get behind Cage as a babyface so I think this story might be a bit of a struggle.
- FTR vs PnP just didn't work. I think the crowd were pretty knackered after the 10 men so putting on another fast paced tag straight after wasn't a good idea. The Archer match would have been better placed here. I don't really know what they were going for here. They should have done a textbook cut the ring in half babyface in peril leading to a Santana hot tag at the end match, instead they just did a 50/50 bunch of random shit match. I'm guessing they also cut it short because of Cash bleeding to death at ringside. A weird match and not a good one. I felt a bit deflated by this.
- That Chicago tease, fuck me. Brilliant. They did just enough to say it without saying it. Then Darby on top. Genius.
- I've never seen Pac in normal clothes. Ever. He's worse than Randy Orton.
- I enjoyed the Archer match a lot and the fans got into it too. It was a few minutes too long but a strong showcase for Archer. Big lads smashing each other was a nice change of pace and I'd like to see more of it in AEW. Also love Haku getting involved.
- Didn't give a shit about that 6 man tag and barely paid any attention to it.
- A good promo from Britt Baker but I'm still not sure whether she's heel or babyface. Hopefully they decide soon.
- Rosa vs Julia was what it was. Julia is green as grass so can't really do much.
- The Cody/Malakai angle had a bit of that WWE stink of wrestler magically appears from off camera and no one sees them before but overall I liked it. Malakai looked like a killer and Cody is back to being the fiery babyface which is what he does best.
- MJF coming out with popcorn and his entrance tagline saying "Loving Life" made me burst out laughing. He was great on commentary too.
- Good God that main event. At first it was pretty terrible, Gage looked like shite. His offence was weak as hell and he seemed lost. Luckily it picked up when all the gimmicks came out and got absolutely crazy. Just bizarre to see this in mainstream wrestling but I loved it. I didn't expect much going in so Jericho getting blasted with light tubes was incredible. I loved it by the end. Massive props to Jericho who doesn't need to do any of this shit but is doing it anyway. I didn't even know Juvie was still wrestling, I'm intrigued to see how that turns out. This Labors of Jericho storyline has been fucking great so far.
- Can't say I care about this Tanahashi/New Japan stuff very much and I wish they'd just give Moxley a fresh feud with an AEW guy. I could massively get into a big Moxley vs Miro programme.