The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Just checking but you do know that Max Landis is a disgusting woman abusing rapist, right? 

Completely passed me by. Thanks for the heads up. 

We could all try and write a Dynamite at the moment and none of us would get over 50% on what actually happens. It’s unpredictable without being aimless. If Khan has 5 years of this in him while he trains up a successor then we are all good 

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

- I've never seen Pac in normal clothes. Ever. He's worse than Randy Orton.

In a rare bit of self-awareness, they actually acknowledge this on WWE TV, think I saw Riddle say "Randy hates pants" or something which was pretty amusing.

- A good promo from Britt Baker but I'm still not sure whether she's heel or babyface. Hopefully they decide soon.

I think she's a heel and always has been. The only person she isn't a dick to is Skiavone. Saw someone on here recently suggest a face turn but I'm not seeing it.

- Can't say I care about this Tanahashi/New Japan stuff very much and I wish they'd just give Moxley a fresh feud with an AEW guy. I could massively get into a big Moxley vs Miro programme.

Amen, get rid of this stuff. You liked the Archer match far more than me but it's the same result. Bin off this US Title shit now it's not on Moxley, stop talking about the forbidden door like you're fucking Meltzer and get Moxley and Eddie into something useful. I wouldn't do Miro though, I don't wanna see either guy lose at the moment. I could go Mox & Eddie against FTR to drag them away and let P&P go after the tag titles.

I find it strange that the match with Gage was the second of Jericho’s matches. Surely a death match against wrestling’s most dangerous lunatic would be the final boss. Especially as they didn’t hold back and went all in with the light tubes etc.

Im worried that going from that to a match with a 46 year old, past their prime, luchador will be a bit deflating and ruin the momentum of this series of matches. 

Im hoping that if a death match with Nick Gage was only the second of five, then they must have something exciting up their sleeve for the final one. 

1 minute ago, wordsfromlee said:

I find it strange that the match with Gage was the second of Jericho’s matches. Surely a death match against wrestling’s most dangerous lunatic would be the final boss. Especially as they didn’t hold back and went all in with the light tubes etc.

Im worried that going from that to a match with a 46 year old, past their prime, luchador will be a bit deflating and ruin the momentum of this series of matches. 

Im hoping that if a death match with Nick Gage was only the second of five, then they must have something exciting up their sleeve for the final one. 

He'll have to beat Austin and The Rock in the same night.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

He'll have to beat Austin and The Rock in the same night.

Would anyone really rule this out at the moment? 😂

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

- From a business standpoint, the past few weeks AEW has had sponsorship from Street Fighter, Kong vs Godzilla and now Space Jam. This can only be seen as a really good thing. There's a big, modern and current sponsorships which show that AEW is getting the right kind of attention. Very promising!

Just in general, they seem to have a much more open, less adversarial relationship with media and the outside world than WWE ever had. Partly that comes from having a boss who's existed in the real world at some point in his life and doesn't see everything as a wrestling angle, or as the world out to get him, and partly from having people making creative decisions that at least have some sense of what's going on in pop culture, but it goes beyond that as a marketing/promotional strategy.

More than anything else, that's what's going to keep them in a decent position, because it's what allows them to get photospreads in Forbes, and to get big cross-promotional deals. That makes them look like a major player, and it has a similar effect as ECW using real music as entrance themes - it makes it feel like AEW exists in the real world, not some weird wrestling micro-dimension.

16 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The story of the next match could be interesting - Jericho having to win with a top rope move means the psychology of the match will differ from his usual stuff. That's what he said he wanted from the "labours of Jericho", and his babyface run in general, teaching the roster some old-fashioned babyface stuff that doesn't get done any more - to that end, it reminds me of the Nick Bockwinkel/Jerry Lawler angle where Lawler would be fined $1000 for every punch thrown, after Bock accused him of not being a real wrestler because he relied too much on punches.

So the other labours could fall into the same kind of category - having to win under certain conditions, or with certain moves barred. I could see the next one being, for example, a Submission match against Lance Storm, but with the Walls of Jericho banned. Otherwise - MMA fight with Hager, or a boxing match with Ogogo?

25 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

See, I don't mind the logic of Gage being the second. Unless I've missed something and it's a case of "if Jericho loses any of the matches, game over" then sending a nutter like Gage in as match two makes sense from MJF's point of view, try and dispatch him early doors. I do hope the fifth is something special though.

• Paid Members

Might be something as simple as scheduling, but it did seem pretty funny to see him covered in blood, ostensibly gone through hell to be told "now you're going to have to face JUVENTUD GUERRERA"

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

See, I don't mind the logic of Gage being the second. Unless I've missed something and it's a case of "if Jericho loses any of the matches, game over" then sending a nutter like Gage in as match two makes sense from MJF's point of view, try and dispatch him early doors. I do hope the fifth is something special though.

I like the idea of Jericho turning up to that final match with MJF just absolutely exhausted, beaten up and wrecked from doing all these weird matches 5 weeks straight.

• Paid Members

given the Forbidden Door and all that, now that the thought's occurred to me I'm really holding out hope for one of the matches to be with Minoru Suzuki. But it could be absolutely anyone at this point, which is brilliant.