The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

This popped up on my Facebook feed…

B6FE8806-50B5-47EB-9C4A-0F58934DDF16.jpeg

That's hilarious! When I saw his Painmaker promo yesterday it made me laugh because it's not something he's particularly well known for. Not sure I'm buying an extreme Chris Jericho but we'll see how it plays out.

• Paid Members

This Jericho vs Gage match is the most interesting match in ages. There's no way that Jericho is taking even half of Gage's usual stuff and most of Gage's stuff he probably can't do on TV anyway. I know TNT have let AEW do a lot of blood and hardcore spots but surely even they aren't going to be happy with Gage ramming a pizza cutter in Jericho's mouth or whatever. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Edited by LaGoosh

Dynamite's been a blast.

It's great to see wrestling again. Out of bloody Florida, proper crowds and proper arenas. A molten hot atmosphere with organic promos, a feeling that anything can happen and over babyfaces you don't feel like a for mug rooting for. All with that outlaw rebel vibe. Like proper wrestling. I love seeing things like Moxley spitting gum and shoving fans and Cody appearing in the booth and cutting promos down the camera. And Nick Jackson doing something exciting and different every week. And pop after pop after pop. It feels alive.

AEW's match quality is completely secondary to me at this point, it's everything else. It's the inverse of WWE to me actually. Their 'PPV' matches are practically the only chance their wrestlers get to drag themselves out of the dogshit they're in. Everything else is meaningless time filler. There's none of this energy and excitement that you get when you're actually invested in the characters and the storylines. Fucking hell. It shouldn't be that hard!

Even the fairly throwaway OC vs Blade match had a nice character building moment with Cassidy pocketing the brass knucks. I thought he was knackered after being heavily featured without fans but I love him as much as ever.

But, yeah, I'm really feeling the Hangman stuff now. For ages it felt like one of them things I'd have to watch the Youtube shows to really 'get it', but it's all clicking now. I've watched the last few Page/Omega segments countless times. Feels like bloody magic. A universally liked babyface on the rise against a detestable, uncool group of heels that need flattening. I've been wanting an AEW Survivor Series style match for ages so I can't fucking wait until the main event this week.

CM Punk AND Bryan Danielson coming in as well? Jesus. Talk about gaining momentum.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, deathrey said:

So I gave up on wrestling years ago but the prospect of a CM Punk return is enough to make me watch again. When is he likely to show up? 

After Meltzer reveals that Colt Cabana's been released.

• Paid Members

This week's show looks fantastic on paper. I'm stupidly excited for the ten man tag match. Nick Gage however, I can completely leave that. Not my bag whatsoever. I don't know loads about him, but he sounds to me like somebody you should try to actively avoid having anywhere near you. 

• Paid Members

Seeing reports of internal discussions about maybe returning to Daily’s Place if the rise of the Delta variant causes another shutdown.

I just can’t. I need my CM Punk debut in Chicago. I need my Daniel Bryan debut in New York. I need that New York pop for Kingston. I need a sold out arena melting when Hangman wins the big one.

Get vaccinated and wear your fucking masks!

Edited by Supremo

They're running towns too that are going to be a bit more proactive ane less politicised about things like mask mandates, caps on large gatherings etc. I hope they can sneak all of that goodness in at least before returning to Daily's Place, which is at least definitively the best live arena in wrestling for pandemic compromises. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

This week's show looks fantastic on paper. I'm stupidly excited for the ten man tag match. Nick Gage however, I can completely leave that. Not my bag whatsoever. I don't know loads about him, but he sounds to me like somebody you should try to actively avoid having anywhere near you.

By all accounts Nick Gage the man is an absolutely lovely bloke who no one has a bad word about. Plenty of genuinely heart warming stories about him from wrestlers and fans.

As for returning to Dailys Place I really genuinely can't see the US going back into lockdown. Not in their political environment. Dailys Place is a last resort backup plan for AEW but I really can't see them needing to use it.

7 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

By all accounts Nick Gage the man is an absolutely lovely bloke who no one has a bad word about. Plenty of genuinely heart warming stories about him from wrestlers and fans.

Nick Gage has also worked with Bryan Alvarez, and does anyone honestly think Alvarez is getting in the ring with someone unsafe, untrustworthy, likely to go against the script, likely to go into business for themself?  Not a chance.