The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

4 hours ago, garynysmon said:

The joke is that Omega is about the most versatile wrestler of the current generation and would have gone down a treat in Cornette's day as an NWA champion.

Fuck, he's even got an old school heel mouthpiece!

If he took the blinkers off, Cornette could also see that.

Omega's certainly made a fan out of me, despite 18 months ago being more than willing to dismiss him as an overrated Meltzer darling previously.

It wasn't my usual cup of tea, but his Impact Slammiversary match against Sami Callihan on Saturday just reinforced how he can turn his hand to, and basically excel, in any kind of match. 

I don’t believe at all that Cornette doesn’t get it or enjoy what he sees. But his audience are anti anything new and he plays to that market. He watches and reviews aew as that market don’t like anything new. He could be watching and reviewing old shows on network and seeing things he “enjoys”. He’s not as no market for him there. His podcast is all character work so I’d give it little credence 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, LCJ said:

Cornette seems very unforgiving. He refused to watch any of Britt Baker’s matches for a while after the Tooth and Nail match as it thought it was a load of “comedy bullshit” (in fairness, it was pretty crap but Britt has been brilliant lately so he’s missing out). I think the fact that Kenny Omega (“Kenny Olivier” or “Twinkletoes McFingerbang” as he likes to call him) had a match with a blow up doll and a Japanese Schoolgirl all those years ago means he’s banned for life. Probably also hates Joey Janella for wrestling the Invisible Man on an Indy Show too. 

Yeah, he hates "Jelly Janela". 

• Paid Members

With reports stating Punk is a done deal, I can't imagine him coming in without creative control and with Bryan also having creative control in some reports, could this be a slippery slop to the lofty days of WCW and the Hogan / Nash / Hall? 

I would imagine Tony Khan is smarter than that, but if everyone coming in is getting creative control, there is a huge risk of it spiralling. At the moment, it seems to be working slendidly with Khan having final sign off.

The only concern I would have is if they hire too much top tier talent and some become restless because there's too many there. But if you've got guys like Bryan who just want to wrestle certain guys, and others who are happy to just slot in wherever, then hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. A lot of them are probably just far happier with the freedom they now have.

We'll see. There seems to be a mostly happy ship where teamwork is high on the list. So it'll be as much about dropping egos and working together than anything. Will that last? You'd hope so. They should all realise that it's working well and they're building something special together.

8 hours ago, Nick James said:

With reports stating Punk is a done deal, I can't imagine him coming in without creative control and with Bryan also having creative control in some reports, could this be a slippery slop to the lofty days of WCW and the Hogan / Nash / Hall? 

Short answer no, because the industry is completely different now.

While I’m not aware of anything being specifically reported about it, I would imagine that Jericho and Moxley have some form of creative control in their contracts and they’ve been there for the for over 2 years already, Christian most likely does too although he’s only come in this year.

I’m not saying give everyone creative control, but just because someone has it doesn’t mean they’re automatically going to say “no that doesn’t work for me, brother”. It depends on the individual and whether or not they abuse it that it becomes a problem. 
Tony Khan isn’t Eric Bischoff. He was a fan in that era, he knows the stories of WCW political manoeuvring as much as anyone does that’s ever devolved into it. He’s unlikely to make those same mistakes

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Also, they're not reliant in the way that WCW were. While Bischoff clearly talks a lot of shit, the pressures from the network at the time sound ridiculous. And they saw Hogan and a handful of others as stars (as did Bischoff, actually). So they had more control because them not appearing meant more.

Khan has set up enough stars and enough main (or near main) eventers that if a Punk or Moxley tried to put him over a barrel, they don't have the same leverage.

• Paid Members

I still can't buy into Spears as anything other than making up the numbers in the Pinnacle. He was allowed to use a chair, had a lot of the offence, and still ostensibly jobbed to the Judas Effect from Jericho in that match. I wonder whether Danielson (and possibly Punk) will be brought in as part of the Labors of Jericho? I know it wouldn't be the best of starts for one or both of them to lose to Jericho, but Danielson would be more than capable of coming back from it.

That Elite/Dark Order segment was good. Can;t wait for the match next week.

Has Wheeler Yuta been winning on Dark  & Elevation? I like what he does. I loved the bit with Sting & Cassidy. I wonder whether Darby's reaction is going to lead to tension and a match between him and Sting. I thought Sting Vs Darby may be on the cards. It'd be a good one for him to go out on, passing the torch ostensibly.

Women's title was alright. I bet they're looking forward to be able to build to Baker Vs Rosa.

FTR Vs Proud & Powerful could be a heck of a match. It still feels weird that Blood & Guts is what set all the feuds into motion.

Hopefully Chavo will do his own thing rather than the Poundshop Eddie stuff that people hated when he was in TNA. Will we get Andrade & Chavo Vs Penta & Fenix at some point? That could be good.

Cassidy & Blade was a decent match.

Presumably that guy Archer threw at Moxley was a plant. The "Texas Death Match" was ostensibly last man standing, because I always thought a Texas Death Match had a pinfall before the count. Is the fork stuff building to a match with somewhere down the line with Nick Gage? It'd be weird if he comes in to have a match with Jericho and then heads off. That chokeslam onto the backs of the chairs looked dangerous. Would it not have made sense to have this match before Moxley went on his Paternity leave? Hikuleo's a big lad, and he doesn't half look like his daddy. Next week could be a good big man match.

.Was a decent show. Next week's looks like a loaded card.

• Paid Members

Has there ever been a more loveable bunch of rogues than The Dark Order? I would happily watch a sitcom involving those lot. 

Is there a cut of all of their BTE segments anywhere? 

1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Has there ever been a more loveable bunch of rogues than The Dark Order? I would happily watch a sitcom involving those lot. 

Is there a cut of all of their BTE segments anywhere? 

Go nuts. Six parts so far. 

3 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

The band Living Colour are now following AEW on Insta and Twitter 🤔

I’m trying not to get my hopes up, but if Punk debuts at All Out I’m going to be ecstatic. I’d love for Page to win the title, have just enough time for a proper, emotional celebration, then Cult of Personality hits and the Punk has a face-off with the hard drinking new AEW champion.

I think it’s more likely (if Punk does sign) that we’ll see The Young Bucks vs Punk/Bryan, perhaps at the Arthur Ashe show, and while I’m completely up for seeing that, a heel Punk vs Page is nothing short of a dream match for me. 

If he has signed I liked who ever suggested Punk leading The Elite. The Bucks are teetotal and Punk has history with Gallows. Page winning the belt only for Punk to strut out would be great but where do you go from there?

Does Punk take the belt from Hangman and would that damage the Page too much? It is all very intriguing. 

I do hope Bryan is coming in though over Punk.