The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Another fun, if a bit messy, episode of Dynamite. 

Chavo with Andrade is probably a better fit than Vickie, but I’m not entirely sure what they were going for with that dynamic. I hope Chavo is deliberately being insincere to try and lure Fenix and Penta on side, rather than this being an odd mix of a babyface manager with a heel wrestler. 

I’m a bit frightened of the Gage/Jericho match. I don’t enjoy gorefests, and I do worry that uncomfortable lines will be crossed. We’ll see, I suppose. 

I’m a bit surprised to see the Cody/Black match take place so soon, and I hope this isn’t a case of Cody rushing past an interesting opponent much as he did Penta, in order to do something less interesting. I wonder if they were spooked by the booing last week and wanted to get it out of the way before the feud did damage to Cody as a babyface?

Archer/Moxley was a bit much for me at times, and the fork spot just made me cringe. Not my scene, although I appreciate that some people enjoy that kind of thing. I’d never heard of Hikuleo though, is he any good?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’d never heard of Hikuleo though, is he any good?

I'm sure the members of the forum who are more au fait with NJPW Strong will be able to give more recent update, but when I last saw him in NJPW proper he was green as grass and didn't really stand out as anything special beyond being Haku's son. That said, I previously thought Tanga Loa had nothing much about him and he's been steadily improving, so maybe Hikuleo has come on leaps and bounds in the past year or so.  

17 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’d never heard of Hikuleo though, is he any good?

Trained at Team 3D before heading to the NJPW Dojo. Had a bad injury in 2018 which kept him out for a year and then went on excursion to RevPro.

Still needs a lot of work, but Archer should be able to do something with him

What was the fork spot ?

Seen Moxley taking the chokeslam on the chairs….

Man, dunno if it’s a sign of getting older but these kinda spots i just din’t enjoy.

I think AEW would be better off with less violence/blood but what do i know.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I’m a bit surprised to see the Cody/Black match take place so soon, and I hope this isn’t a case of Cody rushing past an interesting opponent much as he did Penta, in order to do something less interesting. I wonder if they were spooked by the booing last week and wanted to get it out of the way before the feud did damage to Cody as a babyface?

Ticket sales for that Jacksonville show are pretty bad so I imagine it's been pushed forward to boost sales.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

What was the fork spot ?

The old Abdullah the Butcher spot. I didn't mind it, was obvious Mox was holding the fork in his palm and just rubbing his fist all over Lance's head. I can live with an obviously safe spot like that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

Nick Gage is one of the strangest looking chaps in wrestling. He looks like a silverback gorilla, but even though I don't know too much about him, he seems to have that New Jack style vibe to him that you genuinely believe he could fuck you up if you step out of line.

I saw the Darkside of the Ring episode. Guys an absolute nutter. He also almost killed David Arquette. I worry about next week because “We’re live Pal” and he’s as unpredictable as they come.

12 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Fair few places now reporting that Bryan has signed. Fucking hell can I allow myself to believe this is true?

It just feels too good to be true, doesn’t it? I allowed myself to get my hopes up about Samoa Joe, so until Bryan actually turns up in an AEW ring, I’m not going to do the same here...having said that, Darby has no obvious opponent for All Out, Cody and Black may be looking for new opponents soon, Miro’s All Out opponent is TBD; same with Moxley (actually, Miro/Moxley would be a tremendous combination for that show) - there’s room for it to happen…

6 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

What was the fork spot ?

Moxley and Archer stabbing the fuck out of one another with a fork. It wasn’t dangerous or anything like that, and it’s probably relatively tame in the grand scheme of things, but the fact I was squeamish about that probably gives you an idea about my comfort level with that kind of thing. I feel similarly about thumbtacks and barbed wire.

2 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I worry about next week because “We’re live Pal” and he’s as unpredictable as they come.

Yeah, me too. Him running around with a pizza cutter filled me with dread. As I’ve mentioned, I’m squeamish. My tolerance levels for gore are pretty low. 

Nothing would shock me anymore. Punk. Bryan. Any of it. It all feels possible now. AEW are in such a strong position now to attract talent and give them what they want. And I feel like a guy like Bryan at this point in his career is motivated by wanting the right opponents and ticking off a few things that are left on his wish list. And I can't blame him for that. He's always been one of those where you genuinely believe when he says he just loves wrestling. And I feel like he might regret not taking the chance when he can.

Look at me talking like I know the bloke. Fuck knows really.

I do think there's not really anything else for Bryan to do in WWE.
If he re-signs who does he work with that he hasn't worked before?
As David says, I don't know the guy but, if reports are accurate he seems like he is at that stage of his life where he wants more creative freedom and AEW would give him that. I don't really follow AEW so I don't know who would fit in terms of him working with but if he has signed it would be a truly big deal and [we can hope] give WWE a kick up the arse to sort themselves out. It won't, obviously, but a guy can dream. 

• Paid Members

Pretty good show this week but a few dull points too. 

- Kazarian/Gallows was boring because Gallows is a boring wrestler. And the Elite Hunter losing twice to members of the Elite is not a good look. The angle after was perfectly fine stuff.

- Enjoyed Spears/Jericho a lot. Even Shawn Spears has managed to turn it around and become entertaining now. Now he's dropped all the dumb shit and just gone all in on the Chairman gimmick and started acting like an anime henchman he's a lot of fun.

- NICK FUCKING GAGE. Nick Gage vs Chris Jericho is a match that I never comprehended ever happening. AEW is the best. For those worried this will go too far and Gage will lose it I wouldn't worry about it. Gage is a professional and he's going nowhere near Jericho with glass or genuinely cutting him with a real pizza cutter. Jericho isn't going to do that shit. The Painmaker is ridiculously shit but I can't wait for this because it's so genuinely unpredictable and mental that such a match is happening.

- All the Darby Allin, Orange Cassidy, Butcher stuff this week felt fairly pointless. It felt like there were too many singles matches on this show. I think throwing in The Acclaimed in a tag match would have given the show a bit more variety.

- Not really feeling Baker as a babyface and glad this Nyla story is over. I'm really hoping they turn Baker back heel.

- The Andrade/Death Triangle stuff was all really good stuff. Surprised how happy I was to see all of Death Triangle back together again. The three of them together just looks fucking cool. Chavo was good in this but part of me wishes that AEW had brought it Dario Cueto from Lucha Underground and put him with Andrade. They would be perfect together. Andrade looks and acts like a big deal and it's 100% believable.

- That main event was fucking great. There's something incredibly satisfying watching Mox live his best life. He wrestled like a heel without changing his character in this getting Archer over and not damaging his own popularity - the guy is a top class worker. Loved the brutality and violence of this, felt like a real battle. Couldn't help but laugh at JR's clear excitement about how tall that lad was at the end.

- NICK FUCKING GAGE.

1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

quick question, when will last nights episode be available on the ITV Hub?

It's being broadcast at 11:50pm on Friday night. I'm not sure how quick it's up to watch after but it's usually there the Saturday morning when I've looked.