The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

You know a show is good when hardly anyone has mentioned Miro's new gorgeous white belt! Probably God's favourite belt.

Do you bring CJ Perry in when you can? Originally I'd have said yes. She's a great performer when she's not wrestling, and Lana with Rusev was an amazing act that they never should've broken up. But now? I think Miro's act is good enough to where he doesn't need her.

• Paid Members

The way Kenny said 5 of my guys vs 5 of your guys has me thinking Hangman and Kenny are not active in the match. So Elite vs Dark Order, essentially. With the stipulation being if Dark Order win they get a shot at the Tag Titles and the World Title, but if they lose they get nothing even though Hangman wasn't in the match.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Supremo said:

You know a show is good when hardly anyone has mentioned Miro's new gorgeous white belt! Probably God's favourite belt.

Do you bring CJ Perry in when you can? Originally I'd have said yes. She's a great performer when she's not wrestling, and Lana with Rusev was an amazing act that they never should've broken up. But now? I think Miro's act is good enough to where he doesn't need her.

Nah, Miro is better on his own. Lana adds nothing at this point. Miro is so much more unhinged and terrifying raging on his own. Is the new belt the colours of the Bulgarian flag?

Also; Scorpio Skys job for the past few months has been getting paid to be beaten up by Sting every week. Best job in the world.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I think she could really add to his character, and make him feel like an even bigger star. Something as simple as the signifier for a Miro appearance being Perry walking out, and announcing that "God's favourite champion" was about to arrive. He's so fucking terrifying and psychotic that anticipation would be high as to what he might actually do. 

The relationship between a manager and a wrestler in AEW rarely seems to be one in which the manager does all, or even much of, the talking for their client, so I'm not massively worried about any major shift in his presentation if she was to be introduced. 

Love seeing them back in a full arena. Absolutely great show and the crowd just sent it over the top. I wish Rampage was 2 hours as well, instead of 1, as the roster can easily fill that out. 

And for all the criticism that AEW signs too many ex-WWE wrestlers, I thought this tweet was pretty interesting:

Just coming off a really horrible anxiety freak out so sorry if these notes seem unreadable or scatty.

Anyway, fucking hell, weekly wrestling TV eh. Pure sweet 1997 vibes out of this. EVERYONE IS OVER, or a bit over. It's a total cliche to be saying this was probably their best episode of TV in ages, but it was. Nothing felt out of place in this, everything seemed to point to some purpose, even vague. The biggest issue AEW have sometimes is the flow of the show can get squiffy, this week the balance was note perfect. 

*Mox/Anderson was absolutely great for an opener. Nothing too flashy, snug, good stuff back and forth. Anderson looked really tidy and Mox is Mox. No idea where the Lance Archer match goes. I would happily see either bloke win, though maybe Archer does really need it more. It's going to be a proper fun brawl that. Really enjoyed their last clash in October.

*Andrade and the Death Triangle. Vague as anything, but I'm down for it. Maybe Andrade has his own boys ready to pop up. Re the Vickie Guerrero thing, she brought Andrade in and will probably be there for his matches and some of his promos, but Andrade will probably handle most of his own stuff too. I guess they just like the loose Latin association. It doesn't harm him personally, not like he's macking her face off is he. Bonus points for Alex Abrahantes dressing like a 1930's Chicago press reporter for reasons unknown.

*Ricky 'COME ON MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRRR' Starks. I think he's lives right near where Dynamite was held, which is why he got that mega reception, and also because he's a joy, with his little smug prick face. Brian Cage was really good too and they worked with the crowd to style the match. Liked the finish a lot, a classic little screw job. Cage will be the face in this still. But there was no way this crowd was booing Starks this week. Didn't think much of it going in, but it was surprisingly really fun and the crowd helped this too. Some amazing near falls that got me going. Taz on commentary was gang busters again. Also if anyone is going to do air guitaring a belt justice, it's AEW Starks.

*Go on. One of you. Slag off the Cody promo. Jesus he needed that. None of this slowww, well versed, PONTIFICATING Cody promo. Pure Dusty, marching out to the table, looking at the camera and spitting fire. Cody Rhodes. Bang average, but an amazing quality of reminding you he's a star. Love the the Black/White contrast that @chokeoutmentioned. Black's promos are a touch too cute, but fine. The face off was brilliant and Cody has something he can actually really get into. Good arrows.

*Where do you even begin with the Hangman/Dark Order/Elite segment? Just a perfect wrestling segment. 10 MINUTES. Top to bottom this entire who segment clocked in at just around that time. None of it felt rushed, it was natural for the characters. Just hearing that POP for Hangman coming out was comforting. They are not going to start being contrarian twats and boo him just to be different. The Elite are a great pack of wankers. Like the nWo but they've got about half a dozen Sting's after them. The crowd losing their shit at the hint of a Dark Order Tag Title shot was brilliant too. Special mention to Matt Jackson. As soon as he started sauntering to the ring I was absolutely paying attention to this. Stood in the ring, dressed like a pure fucking arsehole, tearing into Hangman exactly like a little prick in school with back-up would. I actually punched the air and shouted 'FUCK OFF YOU PRICK' when Hangman just had enough and absolutely floored him. What a bloody satisfying smack in the face that was. As much as I'm All In on Hangman and Kenny. I WANT Matt Jackson getting his smug, stupid, twatty clothes wearing head to get a Buckshot, and he can Jannetty bump off into space. Just take his head off mate, I'd probably lose my voice cheering it.

*Jericho skit. Fine. Like the greek tie in just to give it something different. Bring on the weird and wonderful matches. In the promo last week I thought Jericho had to face all his opponents in a gauntlet like Kofi Kingston did. Thank god I was wrong, he'd have literally died.

*Christian/Matt Hardy was a blast too. Perfectly fine match, crowd again really helped this. Surprise ending and even a hint of something a bit off as noted by JR with Jungle Boy curious look at Luchasaurus picking up Christian. Reckon Christian is going to turn on Jungle Boy down the line or something where Christian is revealed to be some sort of shithead. I like the idea that no matter what happened in that battle royal, it was two old villains at heart with a point to prove, and battering the new hot kid on the block is a great idea. It's all in my head but I love the idea of Christian being Christian as a character to remain relevant in wrestling. 

*SHOWTIME SAMMY. God, he's even better when he slows down. Guevara did about a quarter of the mad stuff he usually does and was absolutely over last night. Wheeler Yuta is pretty nifty isn't he. Really liked having another guy hanging with the Best Friends to plug the Trent? gap for a bit.

*Yeah it's QT Marshall. But, BUT, he was a prize shit pouring a protein shake over poor Tony. Plus, he asked if Tony was going to hit him. Now, whilst I mentioned prior that I'd love, love, LOVE for Tony Schiavone to slug Don Callis, the idea of QT Marshall being a proper little bully and Tony Schiavone just does a Partridge and pops him, leading to whoever saves him coming out or whatever fine. If not just keep QT and the lads on the b-shows.

*I really like Penelope Ford, I can't exactly figure out why, but she has something about her that she hasn't really tapped into. Yuka Sakazaki I've seen bits of and she's got some really fun stuff, that Magic splash she does just looks a laugh. Her entrance music though I'm sorry is one of the worst things I've ever heard. It sounds like one of those horrible songs you go on your phone.

*Miro. GOD'S CHAMPION. Lovely Bulgarian colours on the belt, the side plates are also some sort of crest. Do you bring CJ Perry in? Maybe, honestly I'm not really arsed. I know he mentions having a hot wife, but we know anyway, and to casuals, well why shouldn't this bad handsome lad not have a 10 on his arm. Lovely Rusev, get him murking someone on telly soon please. Fight for the Fallen would be a good place for the next defence.

*Darby Allin, you lovely nutter. His matches just have me wincing. Ethan Page as well is someone I've really warmed too. Cocky, good looking sod with a proper sociopath vibe about him. Set of stones of both of them taking that mad bump at the end. I'd have been absolutely shitting the bed in that Coffin waiting for that spot. Surely we are getting Scorpio Vs Sting soon, and have the Scorpions play Sting out, just because.

Brilliant show, made me forget all the horrid shit going on for a bit. Same time next week lads?

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Cody vs Malakai Black is giving me Good Omens vibes.

YMAME3nPjQYiqGEbi38Cd4.jpg

I really liked the white suit / black suit visual of Cody and Black, and maybe this is why. Can’t have been intentional but if it was, I give it bonus points.

Great show this week. Loved loved loved the Hangman/Kenny segment. Goosebumps at the reaction to Hangman. That 10 Man is going to be a belter, with proper high stakes.

Main event was a ton of fun too. Mad mad Darby.

The Starks reaction might need a change in the plans if it carries over to other towns. Could they do a switch back with team Tazz Helping Cage again as they think Ricky is too cocky and doesn’t appreciate their work? 

AEW 2021 may be the most I’ve ever enjoyed wrestling ever. 

That felt like a 1997 crowd! Into absolutely everything, not trying to sabotage anything or take matters into their own hands to get people over.  And you know why? Because they don’t feel like their intelligence is being insulted and they feel like AEW gives them what they want. 

I honestly think AEW could get me to pay £100 for Omega vs Page. 

Man the pop is going to be next level when Hangman takes Kenny's head off with the Buckshot to finally win the title, I'm presuming the DO team is going to be Stu and Uno that will challenge the Bucks if and when they win the 10 man tag. Question is do you do the 10 man as the All Out main event and have the title match for the big Dynamite at Flushing Meadows or do it as a Dynamite main event in the next couple of weeks and have the title match in Chicago?

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Chili said:

*Go on. One of you. Slag off the Cody promo. 

I couldn't fault it, until he called him Tommy End and I was a bit like, really? However, the polar opposite of the Cody Express promo he cut before the last PPV. I rate him much higher than some on here. I just feel like he's not done himself many favours with his work at times, but I can see something in him that I just like.

22 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Credit where credit is due, taking JR out of Jacksonville seems to be one of the best things for the show. He's been great the past two weeks. A live crowd and new environments seems to put a spark up his arse.

Agree. But he still seems a bit like he doesn't like the product at times. Think it was half way through the Christian / Hardy match but the JR comment "I'm so glad we have time limits" seemed very sarcastic and snide. It was met with complete silence by Excalibur and Tony Schiavone.