-
Posts
7,413 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by FLips
-
I should really rewatch The Mummy.
-
I’d eat just about any of the breakfasts posted in this thread but it’s a good laugh to have a dig isn’t it.
-
Mushrooms et al.
-
It sounds like daft praise to give, but the first ever live wrestling show me and my mates ever went to was one of the 3CW ones he was on, and knowing nothing about British Wrestling assumed the lad called Pac was just going to be an X Pac tribute. Obviously you only had to see him once to know how far from true that was.
-
Absolutely awful news. I mentioned briefly in the UKFF anniversary thread I was minorly involved in Britwres as a trainee back around 2005-2007 and this was around the time PAC, while still having matches at working men’s clubs like Billingham Synthonia, was starting to get bookings for Dragon Gate, PWG and ROH. He was the example of someone who made it. As a young lad from the Northeast not much older than me, he had a quality even way back then that stood out amongst everyone else and it was no surprise he was the one making it to greener pastures out the other side. It was very little surprise to see him make it to WWE and AEW. 40 years old is no age to go at all. His friends and family have my condolences.
-
You just reminded me we watched this a couple of weeks ago and you have the same thoughts as me mostly. The bit you have in spoiler tags went on way too long to remain funny, and then the end stretch felt rushed and all over the place.
-
Resident Evil (2026) 90 fast paced minutes of slapstick comedy and gore. Like a violent Mr Bean. Don’t care if it wasn’t related to any of the games, I felt it fit into the universe absolutely perfectly and the games nearly all have confusing shit plots anyway so this did it a service ignoring them. Blockers Was worried this wasn’t going to be that good but it ended up being really funny. A lot better than expected. Feels like it’s going to be a Superbad knockoff but comes into it’s own. The Departed Had high expectations of this but it’s a slow slog, even by Scorcese standards. Everyone has mental BAWSTON accents. Turned it off maybe just over an hour in. Might go back to it. The Heat Felt like for a while Melissa McCarthy was in everything and thank god she’s not anymore. Sandra Bullock does not have the charisma to keep up so it’s a one man show. Moonstruck Cemented now as one of my favourite films. A real comfort watch. Smart, funny, a little odd. Despite it being mostly about cheating it has a real romance to it.
-
To think in another timeline we’d all be celebrating 20 years of OTTER Forum
-
I’ve always been keen to know this too as whenever I donate I worry it might be a drop in the ocean.
-
Been posting here since I was a teenager after TAFKA Marky B Kraze introduced me to it while watching Misawa tapes after a training session. I have inadvertently met probably a few of you at shows when I was a trainee, and some of you may possibly remember me once as a crowd plant Dragon Aisu and Magik “attacked” at some random show in Coventry back in like 2005. I also worked the merch stand at the 1PW show where Kid Kash assaulted a camerawoman. I never stuck with the wrestling training and thankfully to be honest as nearly everyone I met during my brief period in BritWres got either publicly or privately outed during the #MeToo movement. Early days of this place I was no good. Childish, immature, posted just real braindead shit and made enemies out of the likes of Mr Seven, Kendal Mintcake and probably a few others. Thankfully I did a lot of growing up and I do remember getting a genuinely nice feeling when Devon Malcolm and Butch off-handedly said I was a decent poster. Really felt like I’d shaken the shit reputation I had. Eventually became a bit more vocal when it came to off-topic and after all these years got voted Poster of the Year which is bonkers when you think of how I started on here. I’ve debated leaving a a few times lately, not in a stroppy “won a tenner on the horses” way but more that I’m almost entirely detoxed from the internet these days and this is the last consistent website I visit other than BBC Sport. Couldn’t bring myself to do it though, it’s a very comforting place to know is always around.
- 116 replies
-
- 10
-
-
Completed Shadow of The Beast II for the first time ever today. Only took me 30+ years to manage it and now I can do it on Easier Mode in 11 minutes. More a lesson in memory than actual skill but I’ve always had a soft spot for the series.
-
Yeah this is the fella. My wife watches a lot of 90 Day Fiance bollocks and despite being a cretin this little neckless chode seems to show up every season because he’s a nightmare that gets people talking. Really horrible little goblin man.
-
I’m not someone that cares much about internet drama, and I care even less about Ed Sheeran. That being said Ed Sheeran’s entire public persona collapsing has been a blast to explain to my wife who loves the gossip, and he’s now the third most talked about Ed in our house, behind Big Ed and ED-209.
-
Practical Magic My wife made me watch this ahead of her going to see the new one. It’s not Hamilton levels of rubbish but I wouldn’t say it’s a good film. Thankfully she was going to see the new one with her Mam and Sister so it means last night I was home alone with the dog. I bought a spatchcock chicken, a bottle of red and put How The West Was Won on, which is much more on my level. Loved the presentation of it with the intermissions and overtures, thought the narrative thread of the one family going through all the individual stories kept things interesting too. It’s got a cast to end all casts but it’s Gregory Peck and James Stewart that really stand out in their respective segments. It was filmed in some sort of Panavision I think it’s called? But basically 3 screens taped together almost like a big curved widescreen monitor. At times you can see the lines where the screens connected but thankfully the DVD seems to be restored to the point this is barely visible for the most part, but you do get some weird shots clearly made for that screen, similar to when you watch a 3D film in 2D.
-
I’m the opposite in that it’s exactly what I wanted. The original game but it looks better, plays better and has a load of QoL improvements. I enjoyed FFVII Remake but it padded it with so much bollocks and turned an already convoluted story into more of a mess. Rebirth I’ve tried and gave up on twice now because it’s such a long paint by numbers slog, it may as well be a Ubisoft game. Stretching it over 3 games in the space of 7 years is criminal to retell the story of a PS1 game as well.
-
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across The 8th Dimension I really didn’t get this on my first viewing a while back, but like I did the first time I saw Napoleon Dynamite and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou I came away knowing I’d missed the joke so watched it again and loved it. This is the 3rd time watching this weird cult sci-fi rock and roll comedy comic book adventure thing and I’m fully on board with it now. Just a load of mental ideas that the cast throw themselves into with full commitment and it somehow works. Inside Man Bank job thriller directed by Spike Lee, starring Denzel Washington, Jody Foster and Clive Owen and somehow manages to waste the talents of all of them including the director. A bank heist film with next to no stakes and even less payoff. Denzel works his socks off as usual but has very little to do. Training Day If you want Denzel at his best then this one is for you. Plays a right bastard corrupt cop who sets up rookie Ethan Hawke something rotten. Thought this was top shelf stuff from start to finish. Street Kings Name me a worse actor that’s somehow had such a huge career as Keanu Reeves. I’m sure he’s the nicest man on the planet but christ. At least this one has the benefit of being a film that wouldn’t necessarily have been any better if he wasn’t in it. The Sting I didn’t think much of the plot as the stakes never feel as high as the film tries to make it out to be and not enough is shown of Shaw to really push him as the ruthless mob boss he’s meant to be rather than a complete mark that gets outwitted at every step, but I’d be hard pressed to name another film with three main players that ooze as much class and charisma as Redford, Shaw and Newman do in this. I also had a moment of confusion too as to how James Earl Jones looked so old this long ago but it turns out his Dad was an actor who looked and sounded exactly like him. The Entertainer is going to be stuck in my head for days now too.
-
The Harder They Fall It was so-so. The twist at the end humanises Idris Elba’s bad guy to the point the revenge plot that’s fuelled the film means nothing. There’s nothing wrong with a straight up revenge plot, especially in a Western. Just commit to it. Edge of Tomorrow Thought this was really good but yet again had a deflating ending that tried to wrap things up a bit too nicely. Tom Cruise just never ages does he? I didn’t even realise there was an age gap between him and Emily Blunt. Field of Dreams Just a great film isn’t it? Had a nice happy cry at it. He played catch with his Dad! The Godfather 1-3 First two are nearly flawless and this time I watched the Coda edited version of 3 which felt less of a slog but omits Michael’s actual death which I think was better in there than the ending they do here. It’s uncanny how the story beats of this match The Sopranos (or probably not that coincidental I imagine), especially in how the first film starts with this huge ensemble of characters, everyone riding high and they by the end all of the main characters family hates him, his closest friends are all dead and he’s just a misery guts remembering the good old days.
