The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Daniel Bryan going to AEW is exciting, because he's a guy that puts on consistently great matches, but more than that is someone who works to bring the best out of his opponent, and always tries to have his opponent's match. That kind of wrestler in AEW would be a godsend, and potentially could curb some of the roster's worst habits. Not to mention that there's a ton of people on that roster he's either never faced, or faced long before he was in WWE, so a match with them now would be a completely different animal. That's before you even get into the prospect of him being able to work NJPW and outside bookings too, and just the general excitement around what Bryan Danielson at this stage in his career with full creative freedom looks like.

CM Punk I'm less excited by. The appeal of CM Punk in WWE was that he was an "indie guy", the kind of wrestler that just never made it to the top of WWE back in the day. But since him we've had an influx of indie stars into WWE, and even moreso into AEW. His style wouldn't stand out any more, nor would he seem unique. The appeal of wrestlers from WWE going to AEW is that we get to see them granted new creative freedom and possibility, and I just don't get that from CM Punk - he had pretty much unprecedented creative freedom in WWE, is he really going to bring anything to the table that he hasn't already done? I also think that he'll be exposed as a poorer worker than many of those who have came along after him now that he's not a stand-out "indie guy" in WWE (though he may well have adapted his style to something different, there's no way of knowing), and I just struggle to envision any dream matches or ideal stories for him in AEW. 

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd go Bryan over Punk all day long. I think CM Punk would be good for some buzz and some short-term gains, but Bryan would be a much bigger signing in the long-term. In fact, in the short-term I think a surprise Daniel Bryan appearance would do just as good numbers as a CM Punk surprise appearance - I think Punk doing that WWE Backstage show and not improving the numbers really hurt the idea of him as a major draw, and I suspect that most people who would tune in to something just because CM Punk was there are likely watching AEW already. I also question whether people will take CM Punk's "muay thai" strikes and offence seriously after seeing him get murked in the UFC. 

• Paid Members

I'd be content and excited by a 2-3 month CM Punk run building up to a title match and then he fucks off which I think is probably what he would want to do to. I imagine he's after either a one and done gig or a Brock Lesnar part time contract. Bryan though has so much to offer as a full timer in AEW. Bryan vs Fenix, Orange Cassidy, Darby Allin, MJF, Jungle Boy, Pac, Hangman Page...just an almost endless list of incredibly exciting matches.

Nick Fucking Gage has done such a good job with his character and reputation that people really believe he'll try to end Jericho, even if you've never followed deathmatches you likely know of him like some kind of wrestling boogeyman (without the worms). Sounded like that Mikey Rukus guy has made a "For Whom The Bell Tolls" rip-off theme for him too, so likely it'll be more than a one and done deal.

The women's world title match was a wild one, so good yet so so close to just falling apart. It almost felt like they were trying too hard to make it a classic that they fucked up some of the simplest things but I liked how rough it was.

Edited by Merzbow

Re pats point, was Daniel Bryan’s appeal not that anti “who wwe want to headline as we know better” side of the fans a large part of that? He’s never seemed to appeal to anyone mainstream, see little of his merch worn publicly, I tend to think anyone who is a fan of his is watching already. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Re pats point, was Daniel Bryan’s appeal not that anti “who wwe want to headline as we know better” side of the fans a large part of that? He’s never seemed to appeal to anyone mainstream, see little of his merch worn publicly, I tend to think anyone who is a fan of his is watching already. 

I think there's an element of that - there's probably a huge crossover between AEW viewers and Daniel Bryan fans, and a lot of the WWE die-hards were turning on him when he got slotted into the Wrestlemania main event.

I think the "Yes Movement" stuff transcended just being the contrarian fanbase, though - he was getting huge reactions everywhere, and the "YES" chants were being picked up at other sporting events and getting mainstream coverage. If AEW can tap into something like that again, they're on to a good thing. 

You also can't downplay the fact that the last time we saw Daniel Bryan, he was in a feud with Roman Reigns and main eventing Wrestlemania. For someone in that position to jump ship sends a serious message. Whereas with CM Punk, the appeal is that he's been gone for a long time - so you get curiosity seekers because he's been gone, but also if you buy into the old adage that wrestling works in seven year cycles, that means there's a huge part of the fanbase that have never seen CM Punk wrestle, and so in terms of interest it could go either way.

Generally, though, I think the appeal of Bryan is far bigger than of Punk in the long-term. Both will pop a buyrate or a good rating - and I don't think there'd be much difference between them in that regard - but if Bryan becomes a full-time member of the roster, he'll be bringing a lot more to the table than Punk. If he's prepared to see this as a long-term arrangement, he might be the most important signing they ever make.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Nick Fucking Gage has done such a good job with his character and reputation that people really believe he'll try to end Jericho, even if you've never followed deathmatches you likely know of him like some kind of wrestling boogeyman

Spot on. Gage coming out had me marking out never in a million years did i think he would get on a national level tv show. 

AEW continues to drag me back into wrestling. They add Punk and or Bryan? Im all in. 

• Paid Members

Could a good character for Punk these days be the guy who just comes in to get paid? A la, everything he used to complain about? It's not a secret that he has said it would take a huge amount to get him back wrestling, so could he lean in to that maybe? 

His character from when he left wouldn't work anymore, as he was the pissed off guy who was constantly getting shafted in favour of overpaid part time stars. 

I've never been a huge fan of Punk, however I can see his appeal. For me, Punk would be better back under WWE than AEW, that's where the intrigue is.

Daniel Bryan, though? Would be an absolute HUGE get for AEW and could potentially start to tip the balance with his knowledge and backstage attributes along with his in ring talent. I think he could sway quite a few folk to jump ship when their contracts come up etc.

In short:

Punk, nay.....Bryan, yay.

24 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

If I had to choose between one or the other, I'd go Bryan over Punk all day long. I think CM Punk would be good for some buzz and some short-term gains, but Bryan would be a much bigger signing in the long-term. In fact, in the short-term I think a surprise Daniel Bryan appearance would do just as good numbers as a CM Punk surprise appearance - I think Punk doing that WWE Backstage show and not improving the numbers really hurt the idea of him as a major draw, and I suspect that most people who would tune in to something just because CM Punk was there are likely watching AEW already. I also question whether people will take CM Punk's "muay thai" strikes and offence seriously after seeing him get murked in the UFC. 

I’d like to see both in AEW, but if I had to choose, I might be in the minority on this board in that I’d go for Punk. 

As far as WWE Backstage goes, I don’t think that’s a fair indication of Punk’s drawing power in 2021 - that’s Punk the pundit versus Punk the wrestler. I mean, it’s a big ask to watch anyone talk about WWE these days, no matter how interesting they as individuals might be.

As for the UFC stuff, I’d completely forgotten about that, but it would be fantastic ammunition for someone like MJF, who would really benefit as a character from working with a guy like Punk.

In the long term, a heel Punk in AEW could be tremendous. Punk/Moxley and Punk/Page, for example, have the potential to be fantastic storylines. Punk/Darby would also be really interesting.

But heck, I’d be delighted to see either of them show up.

I love AEW right now, it feels like a permanent wrestling Christmas.

• Paid Members

Haven't finished watching the show yet, but would like to register that Wheeler Yuta is my new favourite wrester. His dirty jobber gear and the way he turns into a pencil when being backdropped put him at the top of the pile all the moment. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

In the long term, a heel Punk in AEW could be tremendous. Punk/Moxley and Punk/Page, for example, have the potential to be fantastic storylines. Punk/Darby would also be really interesting.

He's such a natural heel that while he'd clearly come in as a babyface, given the pop, turning him heel should be the aim relatively soon. 

I adored Punk's run as a sarky cunt on commentary and given his age, they should be looking at a spot in the announce booth as a longer term move. JR isn't going to be around forever is he?

With Bryan, other than the awkwardness with his wife's TV show, surely its a no brainer if he wants to continue wrestling. While the WWE would probably offer him more money, I can't imagine his AEW deal would be for a pittance either. Plus what has he got left to achieve in the WWE? He's already main evented Wrestlemania etc.

• Paid Members

Bryan full time (and letting him off to do Japan and Mexico and whatever else he wants to do) and Punk in for a Lesnar style contract of popping up when needed for a high profile feud then going away, would be the perfect scenario. I can't help but think its a total waste of money getting them both in at the same time. A Venn diagram of casual / WWE fans that they would attract would have a massive overlap between the 2 of them. You'd at least want a 6 month gap between the 2 of them coming in, if not more

• Paid Members
Just now, chokeout said:

You'd at least want a 6 month gap between the 2 of them coming in, if not more

I 100% agree with this, though did just imagine the prospect of a Punk & Bryan vs. Young Bucks match that might change my mind. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

Even if that's true, at the height of Bryan's WWE run, Raw was watched by 3x as many people as watch AEW. Everyone focuses on the 8m lapsed fans from 20 years ago but there are a couple of million from 2 years ago and plenty more if you only go back 5/6/7 years. Not to mention the people who don't cross over between Raw & SD and AEW. He might only have wrestling fan appeal but there are enough of them out there.

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I 100% agree with this, though did just imagine the prospect of a Punk & Bryan vs. Young Bucks match that might change my mind. 

I think in an ideal world you want one of them advertised for Rampage on August 13th and the other on the big show at Arthur Ashe stadium.