The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

AEW do a pretty good job putting together balanced cards with the right mix of results. I'd be amazed if Eddie loses in NYC. Obviously you always want your faves to win, but booking-wise, It feels much more likely that he gets the raucous feel-good win so there can be an upset or high-profile heel win elsewhere on the card.

Sting vs OC is the greatest thing the Stinger's done in years. AEW have got little moments and feuds built on subtleties and characters dead on. On this show, you had a blow-off to a feud built on a punch, and in the run-up, a fun mid-match "What if...?" skit played out based solely on two guys looking a bit serious all the time. How OC kept a straight face when Sting pounded his chest, I'll never know.

Loved the rollercoaster of the Andrade vs Death Triangle segment. PAC must feel like he's being attacked from all sides. First Eddie tries to drive a wedge between them all, and still maintains him and Penta are best friends, and now Andrade is trying to woo his lucha buddies away.

I've no idea what happened in the middle of Baker vs Rose, but Nyla limply rolling out of covers and landing awkwardly seemed like she got knocked silly at some point or got blown up/panicked. It was no surprise that the reactions and quality picked up in the final stretch with character work. Nyla is frustratingly not as strong as she should be, and the way her opponents always seem to take the powerbomb on their lower back makes me wince.

Page vs Elite was an okay rehash but felt kind of off. The Good Brothers seemed to react to their buddy Omega's music hitting as if it were any other run-in by an enemy. Then Callis very loudly called them all the "Olite". Then Page came out and all was well again. I'd've made more of John Silver busting out moves after his injury, but hey ho.

Spears is a perfectly solid non-threatening villain. I enjoyed the stip and they did well, but despite the weapon shots, Shawn's natural goofiness and clowning just took the dramatic edge off. For an angle involving a sustained assault on an already-busted arm, Jericho could do with selling that thing once in a while. I've never seen a Gage match, but he looks like the missing link got cholo'ed up, so that's good. I get that AEW have a 90s/2000s vibe so the ECW-esque match mix is good, but having Jericho vs Gage just a week after Mox vs Archer seems a bit much.

Really enjoyed Mox vs Archer. Mox put in such a shift and the crowd were so on board with Lance that I'd forgotten Archer's middling stop-start face run entirely once he hit motherfucking Mox with another motherfucker. I actually thought the fork spots were really well done. Archers bin-lid punch made me laugh out loud, and I really liked the tease and execution of the chairs spot. Finish was a standard TV stunt spot, but I like that the commentators emphasise that, with barbed wire, it's not just the pain, but the fact you get tangled up in it that stops you getting up. Hopefully now Mox has a couple of weeks off, and Archer gets to do a side thing with the IWGP US belt, rebuilding his rep.

Edited by CavemanLynn

7 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm hoping this QT Marshall/Schiavone stuff is leading to Paul Wight vs Ogogo somewhere down the line. I'd be well up for that.

I'd love that. Use QT being a dick to get his charges into some fun little feuds. QT's clearly going to find an excuse to dump loads of protein shakes all over Big Tone again, leading to Wight making the save but Ogogo cold-cocking the giant. OK, it might mean Show has to take a few weeks off Elevation, but it'll be worth it for a fun gimmick match/angle down the line to put the shine back on Ogogo.

My mate, who seems to have gone full Cornette* over everything wrestling does nowadays, blew an absolute gasket over that Sting/OC spot saying it was stupid and why would Sting agree to something like that.

I just said to him “because he’s fucking Sting. What does he have to prove at this point in his career? He can do whatever he fucking well wants to”

Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page have bumping for Sting for the better part of 3 months, OC got to do a spot with him, but not him doing Sting’s routine, The Stinger was doing his schtick, that’s got to a great feeling for OC and a wonderful endorsement from one of the biggest names in the history of the business.

My mate hasn’t spoken to me for nearly 2 days now.

*He keeps referring to OC as “Pockets”, which I’m sure is a Cornette-ism

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Yeah Sting, the man who fought side-by-side with Robocop, threw himself off a TitanTron whilst set on fire and became a Poundlound Joker cosplay act, but THAT little sequence with Orange Cassidy is what is getting people's knickers in a twist? Honest to Christ. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Yeah Sting, the man who fought side-by-side with Robocop, threw himself off a TitanTron whilst set on fire and became a Poundlound Joker cosplay act, but THAT little sequence with Orange Cassidy is what is getting people's knickers in a twist? Honest to Christ. 

They said the same thing about Sting doing cinematic wrestling. Sting invented cinematic wrestling through several different eras, whether it was the WCW mini movies or the Graveyard match with Vampiro. Still is a professional pisser abouter. He really doesnt give a fuck.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

My mate, who seems to have gone full Cornette* over everything wrestling does nowadays, blew an absolute gasket over that Sting/OC spot saying it was stupid and why would Sting agree to something like that.

I just said to him “because he’s fucking Sting. What does he have to prove at this point in his career? He can do whatever he fucking well wants to”

Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page have bumping for Sting for the better part of 3 months, OC got to do a spot with him, but not him doing Sting’s routine, The Stinger was doing his schtick, that’s got to a great feeling for OC and a wonderful endorsement from one of the biggest names in the history of the business.

My mate hasn’t spoken to me for nearly 2 days now.

*He keeps referring to OC as “Pockets”, which I’m sure is a Cornette-ism

Yeah, Cornette calls OC "My Little Dog Pockets". I've been watching his Dynamite reviews on Youtube. He generally shits all over most of it, except FTR. HE pisses and moans that they're underutilised. It's quite sad, really. He refuses to watch Impact because of the Sami Callihan/Eddie Edwards baseball bat thing from a few years back and isn't a particularly big fan of WWE. Apart from Charlotte.

Cornette seems very unforgiving. He refused to watch any of Britt Baker’s matches for a while after the Tooth and Nail match as it thought it was a load of “comedy bullshit” (in fairness, it was pretty crap but Britt has been brilliant lately so he’s missing out). I think the fact that Kenny Omega (“Kenny Olivier” or “Twinkletoes McFingerbang” as he likes to call him) had a match with a blow up doll and a Japanese Schoolgirl all those years ago means he’s banned for life. Probably also hates Joey Janella for wrestling the Invisible Man on an Indy Show too. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LCJ said:

Cornette seems very unforgiving. He refused to watch any of Britt Baker’s matches for a while after the Tooth and Nail match as it thought it was a load of “comedy bullshit” (in fairness, it was pretty crap but Britt has been brilliant lately so he’s missing out). I think the fact that Kenny Omega (“Kenny Olivier” or “Twinkletoes McFingerbang” as he likes to call him) had a match with a blow up doll and a Japanese Schoolgirl all those years ago means he’s banned for life. Probably also hates Joey Janella for wrestling the Invisible Man on an Indy Show too. 

The joke is that Omega is about the most versatile wrestler of the current generation and would have gone down a treat in Cornette's day as an NWA champion.

Fuck, he's even got an old school heel mouthpiece!

If he took the blinkers off, Cornette could also see that.

Omega's certainly made a fan out of me, despite 18 months ago being more than willing to dismiss him as an overrated Meltzer darling previously.

It wasn't my usual cup of tea, but his Impact Slammiversary match against Sami Callihan on Saturday just reinforced how he can turn his hand to, and basically excel, in any kind of match. 

Edited by garynysmon