The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The idea that Punk was only successful and popular during one short period of his career is pretty crazy. He's exactly the kind of guy that AEW's audience loves. He was one of the main guys in ROH. He managed to translate that to ECW and WWE pretty damn well. And he's fully capable of performing as a top face or heel.

Is he as good in-ring as Bryan? No. But does that mean he's not worth picking up? The guy is absolute fire on the mic and would be an asset to any company even in 2021.

• Paid Members

I'd say most of CM Punk's WWE run was good and he usually seemed to have something going on. The guy wrestled The Rock twice, John Cena and The Undertaker in high profile matches in one single 3 month stretch. To act like he's a glorified indie darling with one flash in the pan and not a genuine top WWE act for years is massively selling him short.

They need the rights to "Cult Of Personality" because the second that hits for the first time everyone in attendance's head will explode. I always enjoyed Punk, he can talk, had decent matches and had one of my favourite Rumble stints ever, if he's coming in he's going to shift a lot of tickets and PPV buys.

22 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

IMO they'd be pissing money away if they brought Punk in. [...] Punk hasn't wrestled in 7 years, and when he did hit it big, it was a lightning in a bottle moment of being the right guy in the right place at the right time. He somehow managed to parlay his superior attitude from his best work as an evangelical heel into an evangelical Indie (tm) face, while being just as goofy and routine as the regime he was supposedly opposed to. He may have been an pioneer of that and the current style, but if he turns up now, beyond an initial pop, everything he does is done better by everyone else. Using the pipe bomb and Summer of Punk as reason to get excited about Punk in 2021 is nonsense.

Punk's UFC debut doubled the number of buys for UFC 203, such that he appears to be the biggest UFC draw ever outside of McGregor, Rousey and Lesnar. He's a proper star with mainstream cache. This isn't just a bunch of indie fans fapping over a hot month in 2011. He's a needle mover.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:29 AM, Statto said:

Judging by Andrade's social media, Charlotte was traveling to join him at a lot of (non-AEW) shows during the Thunderdome era. With WWE going back on the road for TV (and house shows presumably soon to follow) you'd think that won't be possible any more, so I could definitely envisage a future where they decide they'd like to be able to tour together again.

Just imagine how much Cody would mark out about bringing a Flair in?

Charlotte v Brandi would headline a ppv, they would literally call it 'Rhodes v Flair'

• Paid Members

I think we can start to believe. Here’s Meltzer from today’s Observer Radio. Giving it to us straight, like a pear cider made from one hundred percent pears.

“Unless something falls apart, they're both coming in...there are signs that both are done. There are moves that I know of that are being made that would only be made if CM Punk was coming in.”

All those words when he could’ve just said, “they’ve bought the rights to Cult of Personality.”

I’m buzzing. Fuck all logic and sense. Just debut them both at All Out. Let it be the greatest Pay Per View of all time.

1 hour ago, Pinc said:

Punk's UFC debut doubled the number of buys for UFC 203, such that he appears to be the biggest UFC draw ever outside of McGregor, Rousey and Lesnar. He's a proper star with mainstream cache. This isn't just a bunch of indie fans fapping over a hot month in 2011. He's a needle mover.

I don't disagree with your general point that he's about as big a name as they could realistically bring in, but the actual number that UFC PPV sold was about 475k, which is a slightly higher than a fairly standard UFC buyrate.

Usman vs Masvidal did about 1.3m last year. Rampage Jackson vs Rashad Evans did over 1m in 2010.

Edited by Marshmallo

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I don't disagree with your general point that he's about as big a name as they could realistically bring in, but the actual number that UFC PPV sold was about 475k, which is a slightly higher than a fairly standard UFC buyrate

And featured two big Heavyweight division fights, one of which was a title defence.

I don’t doubt that Punk’s presence added buys that night (and he got paid handsomely for doing just that), but let’s not pretend that he drew that number on his own

All jokes aside, now there's where I'll draw my line on the whole "I don't even care about the creative for this" stance! 

AEW's audience may know who he is, but I only want Punk rubbing shoulders with the top boys, not journeyman gunk like Cabana. They can do their reconciling behind the curtain. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

I still reckon it's be good to bring in Danielson as one of the labours of Jericho. He can recover from a loss on his debut, especially if somebody gets involved. Maybe the Pinnacle are getting frustrated and try to foil Jericho but it backfires and they get Danielson instead. That can then create a program for Danielson and the Pinnacle once MJF beats Jericho and sends him off on tour with Fozzy.

Punk & Cabana burying the hatchet in the ring at All Out or on Dynamite could be a heck of a moment.