The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

25 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Interesting. I've actually never thought any of those names would have any interest in jumping ship. Not at the moment anyway. In terms of the men I get it. But why would any of those women want to? I'm not sure I see the AEW women's division as that appealing right now. Maybe Charlotte if she gets bored and wants to move over with the boyfriend. But unless they royally fuck up Becky's return or Sasha loses her smile again, I just don't see it. They've got a lot of work to do to make the division as appealing as they have done with the guys.

If they manage to sign one of these wrestlers, it would very much be a statement of intent - you’re not going to bring in a Sasha, Charlotte or Becky and relegate them to Dark/Elevation. They’d come in with the kind of reputation and the kind of pay packet (and, I assume, certain guarantees) that would force AEW to use them well. Heck, I’m sure they could even negotiate a level of input over the entire division. 

I’m hoping that the creation of Rampage will give more of the female wrestlers featured spots each week. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Maybe Charlotte if she gets bored and wants to move over with the boyfriend.

Judging by Andrade's social media, Charlotte was traveling to join him at a lot of (non-AEW) shows during the Thunderdome era. With WWE going back on the road for TV (and house shows presumably soon to follow) you'd think that won't be possible any more, so I could definitely envisage a future where they decide they'd like to be able to tour together again.

I'm giddy with this. I know people will argue about their worth to business metrics, how times have changed, what to do with the creative etc but if Punk and Bryan (or should that be back to Danielson now?) both come into AEW then to me personally as a viewer it feels like the most seismic thing to happen in the industry since 2001. 

Bring it on! Wrestling is hot. 

13 hours ago, RedRooster said:

If they manage to sign one of these wrestlers, it would very much be a statement of intent - you’re not going to bring in a Sasha, Charlotte or Becky and relegate them to Dark/Elevation. They’d come in with the kind of reputation and the kind of pay packet (and, I assume, certain guarantees) that would force AEW to use them well. Heck, I’m sure they could even negotiate a level of input over the entire division. 

I’m hoping that the creation of Rampage will give more of the female wrestlers featured spots each week. 

I was listening to Omega's interview with Meltzer from a couple of days ago and he talked about how they were going to use Rampage to highlight their womens division more and how he didn't want the likes of himself, Jericho etc being on it every week when you can see them on Dynamite 

Edited by Kamaras-Tash

• Paid Members

I nearly cry thinking about the amount of fresh matches for Bryan Danielson. After what felt like six months of him exclusively wrestling Jey Uso, I can’t wait to see him wrestling different matches every week. I’d be half tempted to have him beat Miro for the TNT Title just so he can defend it every week against someone new.

When was the last time Jim Cornette actually performed somewhere, rather than just being an online grifter? Does he still have it in him? I hate to admit it but he’d be perfect coming in with CM Punk as the anti-AEW heels.

Edited by Supremo

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’d be half tempted to have him beat Miro for the TNT Title just so he can defend it every week against someone new.

Even better, have him come in and hype the match, bigging up that winning the title means this is what he'd get to do, then have Miro beat him handily. What better way to send the message that AEW is NOT the place for ex WWE stars to come and 'play', than to have someone espousing that be beaten by a guy wasted by WWE and languished in lower/midcard purgatory who came in to AEW, completely reinvented himself, is focused on proving he's the best, not riding on past achievements to cheerily work through his bucket list? A harsh reduction, I know, but a meaty AEW-centric angle that's much more intriguing than having a guy do ten counts with kicks against a conveyor belt of faces.

3 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

In regards to the women’s division discussion Emi Sakura has tweeted she’ll be back in AEW for the time being.

I hope she reinvents herself. Her Freddie Mercury inspired gimmick was nothing short of horrendous. The division improved significantly during her absence and that wasn’t a mere coincidence.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’d be half tempted to have him beat Miro for the TNT Title just so he can defend it every week against someone new.

Nah, I don’t want Danielson to defeat Miro. I really want to see Page vs Miro in AEW’s first Champion vs Champion match, and as far as dropping the TNT title goes, I’d love to see him lose to either Jungle Boy or Wardlow. 

Danielson doesn’t need the title to wrestle a wide range of exciting opponents. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Perry said:

That's a hell of a coup for AEW.  What are the chances of Punk lacing up his boots again?  

Well I doubt they're bringing him in to work in catering. If they're spending the big bucks it's to get him in the ring. 

IMO they'd be pissing money away if they brought Punk in. At least Bryan has proven he can still go in the ring, has turned his hand to serious angles and goofy feelgood stuff on a dime ("I'm gonna toss so many guys off!"), has remained a distinct style that actually intrigues both in terms of the wrestling itself and the character interplay, and has actual experience to impart to up and comers. Punk hasn't wrestled in 7 years, and when he did hit it big, it was a lightning in a bottle moment of being the right guy in the right place at the right time. He somehow managed to parlay his superior attitude from his best work as an evangelical heel into an evangelical Indie (tm) face, while being just as goofy and routine as the regime he was supposedly opposed to. He may have been an pioneer of that and the current style, but if he turns up now, beyond an initial pop, everything he does is done better by everyone else. Using the pipe bomb and Summer of Punk as reason to get excited about Punk in 2021 is nonsense.

29 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Using the pipe bomb and Summer of Punk as reason to get excited about Punk in 2021 is nonsense.

Punk is a legitimate star to the current audience. I'm the current audience. Ergo I'm excited and rightly so. There's nothing nonsensical about it. In fact this is the exact kind of excitement that wrestling does so well. Maybe some people are losing sight of that, constantly talking about wrestling as a product that's just a constant work in progress to try and get back the couple of million people that got on with their lives in the early 2000s.

Most of the rest of your post is just sort of predicated on your own historical summation of the guy. Which is fair, but that's just yours. I've always liked him, always perceived him as a top guy and so I'm happy to see him back. And yes, a lot of that stems from his 2011/2012 run. So what? I'm not splitting the atom over what the needle movement is going to be for AEW. I'm just preparing my balls for the sheer fucking joy of a proper big time live wrestling moment.