The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

They Have put two years into omega vs hangman. They ain’t taking it away this close to all out. Far too much WWE scar tissue in how they misuse current roster vs part timers in the knee jerking here 

1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

I reckon they are keeping plans open in case they have to move All Out back to Dailys place.

If it's in Chicago, I reckon it will be Omega/Punk, if not it'll be Omega/Hangman.

As much as we all love Hangman and this incredible story they have played out with him and Omega, I reckon AEW see Punk winning the title in Chicago as to big a chance to turn down.

I mean I wouldn't do it, I'd have Darby and Punk start a little build on that Chicago Rampage for them to face off at the PPV, and keep the Omega/Hangman main event as it is.

I suppose the problem with that though is, Hangman will seem so second rate if he follows Punk on that Chicago PPV and I can see the crowd not really giving a shit.

I disagree with almost all of this. 

Suddenly pivoting to Omega/Punk would almost certainly cause the majority of fans to resent Punk. Perhaps not in Chicago that one night, but outside of that it would really leave people deflated. 

What would make Hangman seem second rate is being snubbed for a title shot in favour of a guy who will have barely wrestled for the company by the time the show comes around, not following Punk on All Out. Open the show with CM Punk, close the show with Hangman winning the title. Easy. 

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Absolutely wild show. That Dark Order entrance was beautiful and almost seemed wasted on a TV match they were going to lose.

I've rewatched that entrance over and over. Genuine goosebumps. I loved that they used it for this match, it made the whole thing feel huge, and you just wouldn't see WWE use an entrance like that on a Raw or Smackdown. It's this kind of thing that makes each and every Dynamite feel special for me, and has me buzzing for the next show. 

The only segment that didn't really land for me was the Ricky Starks title celebration. The Gage match was a bit much, but it kept me watching. 

No one has mentioned it yet, but it sounded to me that Cody was quite heavily booed? I doubt he will be in Jacksonville, but it's been interesting to hear the reactions he's been getting outside of that venue. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

No one has mentioned it yet, but it sounded to me that Cody was quite heavily booed? I doubt he will be in Jacksonville, but it's been interesting to hear the reactions he's been getting outside of that venue. 

I thought that too. Obviously there have been great reactions for the debuting Black, that's always going to happen, but that's the first time I thought the crowd actively booed Cody. After the cheers when they realised they were heading their way, they definitely seemed to be booing Cody's offence.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Suddenly pivoting to Omega/Punk would almost certainly cause the majority of fans to resent Punk. Perhaps not in Chicago that one night, but outside of that it would really leave people deflated. 

I don't think they should do it - Hangman needs the win, especially if Omega is working hurt as rumoured and needs to take some time off - but if they did, I wonder how well they could weaponise resentment of CM Punk and segue into a Punk/Hangman feud, with Punk belittling Hangman for being a drunk who can't get it done. 

It's one of those things that probably sounds much better on paper, though, because in the early going people are going to want to cheer Punk before they get a heel run out of him, and Hangman's not established enough yet to have people necessarily root for him against someone like Punk without doing a bit more legwork. 

I have faith they'll get to the right place.

I can't believe there are people who just want Punk after 7 years to waltz in and win the title after the storyline we're currently into. Wrestling deserves itself if that happens. 

I can't get over how good this was. 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

“A cowboy isn’t too busy to lend a hand to a partner. Not too proud to take one, either. And when they get knocked in the dirt, bloodied and trampled, a cowboy dusts themselves off and gets back up.”

It’s madness how much pro-wrestling had lost its way that something as simple as a pure, wholesome babyface feels so ridiculously fresh and exciting. I’ve already gone from being crushingly disappointed with last night’s result to already hoping Hangman somehow turns it around. I’m rooting for him more than ever.

But yeah. I don’t think there’s ever been a better opening five minutes to a pro-wrestling TV show. Dark Order’s incredible entrance. The Elite being the world’s greatest dickheads. And then Schiavone exclaiming, “Jesus Don! Would you cover up those legs!” Had me grinning from ear to ear.

Also - reason #312 why I love this company - they’re making it clear as day that Punk’s coming in without ever actually saying it. Love that style of letting the fans feel like they’re figuring stuff out themselves. Makes the show a thousand times more engaging and exciting. Alex Marvez’s knowing glance to the camera when Darby referenced him was a thing of beauty.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

On the Gage/Jericho front, for anyone who isn't familiar with Gage (and even those of you who are), please don't get your hopes too high tonight. Nick Gage works best in smaller, intimate environments where he can take the lead and has no restrictions to work around. You're not going to have that same energy from his entrance and pro-longed ring announcement on an episode of Dynamite, and his flaws will be on show. I think at best, the match will fall a little flat, and at worse it'll stink up the joint. He's not going to win over anybody who isn't already a fan (like myself) but it's still going to be really cool to see and I really fucking hope that both he and Jericho prove me wrong on all those points.

MDK! ALL FUCKING DAY!

Mission accomplished! The match surpassed my every expectation and, despite the wobbly start, had the crowd going wild. An absolute triumph.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Nick Gage hitting Chris Jericho with light tubes in a TV main event in the year of The Lord 2021, what the actual fuck. I love AEW.

I thought the overall show was a mixed bag with some very high highs and some shite in it too.

- From a business standpoint, the past few weeks AEW has had sponsorship from Street Fighter, Kong vs Godzilla and now Space Jam. This can only be seen as a really good thing. There's a big, modern and current sponsorships which show that AEW is getting the right kind of attention. Very promising!

- Two of the greatest entrances in wrestling history right there. Heartwarming, lovely and badass babyfaces and hilarious, utter dickhead heels. Love it. The tag match was really fucking great too with a perfect finish. There's over a month till All Out, they have to throw more obstacles in Hangman's way till then so a loss here makes sense and doesn't hurt the story.

- The Starks celebration was ok but I felt like they didn't really go big enough with it. Hard to really get behind Cage as a babyface so I think this story might be a bit of a struggle.

- FTR vs PnP just didn't work. I think the crowd were pretty knackered after the 10 men so putting on another fast paced tag straight after wasn't a good idea. The Archer match would have been better placed here. I don't really know what they were going for here. They should have done a textbook cut the ring in half babyface in peril leading to a Santana hot tag at the end match, instead they just did a 50/50 bunch of random shit match. I'm guessing they also cut it short because of Cash bleeding to death at ringside. A weird match and not a good one. I felt a bit deflated by this.

- That Chicago tease, fuck me. Brilliant. They did just enough to say it without saying it. Then Darby on top. Genius.

- I've never seen Pac in normal clothes. Ever. He's worse than Randy Orton. 

- I enjoyed the Archer match a lot and the fans got into it too. It was a few minutes too long but a strong showcase for Archer. Big lads smashing each other was a nice change of pace and I'd like to see more of it in AEW. Also love Haku getting involved.

- Didn't give a shit about that 6 man tag and barely paid any attention to it.

- A good promo from Britt Baker but I'm still not sure whether she's heel or babyface. Hopefully they decide soon.

- Rosa vs Julia was what it was. Julia is green as grass so can't really do much.

- The Cody/Malakai angle had a bit of that WWE stink of wrestler magically appears from off camera and no one sees them before but overall I liked it. Malakai looked like a killer and Cody is back to being the fiery babyface which is what he does best.

- MJF coming out with popcorn and his entrance tagline saying "Loving Life" made me burst out laughing. He was great on commentary too.

- Good God that main event. At first it was pretty terrible, Gage looked like shite. His offence was weak as hell and he seemed lost. Luckily it picked up when all the gimmicks came out and got absolutely crazy. Just bizarre to see this in mainstream wrestling but I loved it. I didn't expect much going in so Jericho getting blasted with light tubes was incredible. I loved it by the end. Massive props to Jericho who doesn't need to do any of this shit but is doing it anyway. I didn't even know Juvie was still wrestling, I'm intrigued to see how that turns out. This Labors of Jericho storyline has been fucking great so far.

- Can't say I care about this Tanahashi/New Japan stuff very much and I wish they'd just give Moxley a fresh feud with an AEW guy. I could massively get into a big Moxley vs Miro programme.

Edited by LaGoosh

Bollocks to the loss. What we're looking at here is that video package and entrance. That's road to X-Seven level shit. Even my fiancée - who just glances at it every now and then out the corner of her eyes - knows they're putting the belt on Hangman just because it's so innate to the visual language of story building on television. You look at that narrated package and the way he does the entrance and you don't really need to know anything about wrestling to know that the handsome guy in the middle with the likeable expressions is on a one way elevator straight to the top. Fuck wrestling, that's how television drama as a wider genre works. You sort of tell people without telling them, so that when it happens you self high five and get that rush of satisfaction and happiness. We're all theoretically running the risk of giving them too much credit when speaking like this, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway. They get this stuff like WWE don't.

The loss has just sown a seed of doubt over if he can do it or not. Great. That's storytelling. Beyond that it means fuck all. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Gay as FOOK said:

The loss has just sown a seed of doubt over if he can do it or not. Great. That's storytelling. Beyond that it means fuck all. You know why? Because

spacer.png

Just checking but you do know that Max Landis is a disgusting woman abusing rapist, right?