The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I could see Jericho vs Paul Wight because of their history.

That wouldn't make sense. MJF is bringing in these mercenaries to do his dirty work, the affable commentator off Dark Elevation wouldn't be anywhere near that. It'd be a bit disappointing.

9 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

That wouldn't make sense. MJF is bringing in these mercenaries to do his dirty work, the affable commentator off Dark Elevation wouldn't be anywhere near that. It'd be a bit disappointing.

Same as suggestions of Daniel Bryan I think. I just don't see how it would work in that context.

5 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I could see the final trial being Jericho being put in a handicap tag match against FTR (and perhaps Wardlow) as the final trial, with the stipulation being that Jericho's partner can't be a member of the Inner Circle. MJF can say "good luck finding a partner who'll wrestle in a handicap match", assuming everyone is as selfish as he is, and the mystery partner ends up being Wight, reuniting Jerishow. The whole idea behind this from a booking perspective seems to be to put Jericho in some fun matches, and it would certainly be fun to see that tag team back together. It might underplay Wight's return to the ring, though. 

Only thing that really irritated me about the elimination match was how quickly they cut away to the next segment instead of lingering on a defeated Hangman a little. 

Though tbh that's been a consistent annoyance I've had with Dynamite for a good while. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

17 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

On the Tanahashi/Mox stuff, I'm assuming that they'll wrestle in Japan and the promos were AEW throwing New Japan a bone. 

Sure I could do without it but it isn't a really big problem imo. 

Excalibur kept saying Archer will go over to Japan to defend against Tanahashi but then New Japan announced the match will take place on New Japan Strong on 14th of August in LA so I could see Tana staying round for a few weeks for All Out before the G1 starts on the 18th of September.

Oh man. Genuinely gutted for the Hangman. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. If it's another bump in the road before Page gets crowned at All Out it's fucking brilliant. If it's a pivot to allow Punk/Bryan into the title picture? I'll be very cross. I don't think I can handle another rising babyface story crashing off the tracks.

Still, it's proper on the edge of my seat stuff. The potential rivalry's coming up are dream world. Everyman Page feuding with heel Corporate Cody? The Cowboy vs straight edge CM Punk? Get it in my veins. 

There was a lot of bad on this show. JR at his worst, pulling me out of the action during the opener by bringing attention to the gaps. The weird Brian Cage babyface push that nobody cares about. Andrade being boring and a bit rubbish. The insulting WWE style stubbornness of Britt's "you people at home are waiting for me to fail" line and current direction. Janky wrestling and an overreliance on dives and gore (please, no more death matches until at least six months).

But still. When you're hot you're hot. And it all falls to the wayside when the show is so mad, wild and electrifying. Fucking love it. Already itching to re-watch that opener.

So... who said they wouldn't do all that deathmatch shit?

A mixed bag of a show but the good far made up for the bad, Page losing is obviously deflating as it's meant to be but so far we've been taught that he just won't stay down and I'm 100% sure he's getting the title at All Out, ending the show in the best way possible with big hugs all round from the Dark Order. There's absolutely no fucking way they shove Punk in there, I don't think he'd even want that himself.

Loved seeing Tanahashi, hated how vague they kept it with making it seem like it could be a match in NJPW which I have zero interest in watching anymore even if it is my man Mox showing up.

Da Juice is back! But yeah, he's likely to kill Chris more than Gage. Hearing him on the Konnan podcast when I used to listen to it and he's definitely a nutcase.

Edited by Merzbow

I'm not convinced that Page is taking the belt at All Out. 

Maybe they are thinking Bryan and Punk might overshadow his big moment and are holding off for a bit longer? 

I wouldn't be surprised if Christian Cage steps in as a filler defence for Omega. 

• Paid Members

I can’t figure out how Page gets back into the Title match at All Out, but surely it has to be him? They can’t shoot those amazing angles in the lead up to tickets going on sale, only to go with Omega vs. Christian instead, can they?

Does Hangman go on a mad run where he defeats everyone in the top five one after the other in time for the PPV? Does he offer to put his career on the line? Does he end up going on a crazy bender and needs a heart to heart with Negative One to get back on track? I trust they must have something up their sleeve, and of every storyline in the history of the business I’ve never had more faith that people know what they’re doing, but right now it feels like such a weird, unnecessary mis-step.