The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

37 minutes ago, Doog said:

Meltzer is reporting Page is out of the All Out main event, was originally planned apparently but now it's been changed. Interesting.

I hope that's not true, or if it is, there's a good reason (ie. requested time-off, injury) for it. Genuinely gutted at that. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

if it's a case of Page being ditched for an incoming WWE-er, it's a terrible, TNA level decision. 

There's mileage in Page rebuilding and chasing CM Punk as champion, if that's the direction they're going, but it doesn't have the satisfying arc or emotional investment of him beating Omega given how much has been built up into that. 

I'm still pretty certain that Kenny is working through some serious injuries - it's been reported for a while, and he barely bumped in that match. It might be that they're looking at ways to get the title off him without him having to work the kind of match that would be expected of him against Hangman - that's the problem with building your identity around being A Great Wrestler, at some point that starts to fall apart and you need something else - or even to get the title off him sooner than All Out. 

If the decision's because Page has got a kid on the way, though, fair play to them for accommodating that. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Any ratings talk for this week is surely a moot point due to the Olympics being on around the same time right?

On the contrary, the fact that they managed to maintain their ratings and get a good number against the Olympics is a massive positive for the company. TNT must be very happy with it.

3 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

if it's a case of Page being ditched for an incoming WWE-er, it's a terrible, TNA level decision. 

There's mileage in Page rebuilding and chasing CM Punk as champion, if that's the direction they're going, but it doesn't have the satisfying arc or emotional investment of him beating Omega given how much has been built up into that. 

I'm still pretty certain that Kenny is working through some serious injuries - it's been reported for a while, and he barely bumped in that match. It might be that they're looking at ways to get the title off him without him having to work the kind of match that would be expected of him against Hangman - that's the problem with building your identity around being A Great Wrestler, at some point that starts to fall apart and you need something else - or even to get the title off him sooner than All Out. 

If the decision's because Page has got a kid on the way, though, fair play to them for accommodating that. 

You could simply have Omega being real fucking cocky because he's beat Adam twice already and a surprise Buckshot just takes him out. No 5 star match but the pop will be insane still.

I suppose there's a chance they're saving it for Dynamite to pop a rating, perhaps for the Arthur Ashe show. Given the strength of the All Out card, they may think they can get away with something else, and perhaps run a match in which Adam Page is getting one last chance for a title shot. 

• Paid Members

Why does the story have to end at All Out, (all) out of interest? Why couldn't they extend it, have Omega beat Punk and Bryan, then have Page beat Omega in a few months? There's plenty of interest and milage in it I reckon. 

• Paid Members

There's no guarantee that the Hangman Page angle could be reheated at a future date. The time to strike is now.

Neither Punk or Bryan need to be inserted into the title picture right away.

God almighty, they're really going to fuck this up aren't they?

• Paid Members

Obviously we won’t be able to truly judge the Hangman storyline until it plays out in full. Maybe postponing it even further will only add to the end result. But right now, given what’s happened and where things currently stand, not pulling the trigger feels like one of those WWE moments where they fail to read the room, their timing is massively off and they miss their window to truly capitalise on something.

I’ve seen a lot of people say that anyone complaining is just equating, “my favourite lost,” to, “bad booking,” but it’s not that at all. The arc of Hangman feels complete. We should be in the end game now. Lost loner crippled with self-doubt found support and started to believe. Motherfuckers had matching gear and the best entrance of the last decade. Crowds are at fever pitch. They’re a cohesive unit of heroes who are set to make everything right in this world. This should be it. For none of it to make a difference and for them to just fail anyway feels like one cock tease too many. Like the Avengers all returning through the portals only for Thanos and his army to win regardless.

Edited by Supremo

If this is true it’s taking a massive amount of goodwill away from those of us who have invested in this story. the crowds are all going crazy for it, you edge someone this long and things flop in all uses of the phrase. One thing AEW have been great at is doing the obvious when it was right to do so, and not swerving for swerving sake. Don’t see it being due to Hangman’s wife expecting, that’s been known for ages and they didn’t need to flick this story switch now and then cuc him for some short order cook 

The Omega “ injuries” story was started by him and parroted by Meltzer. He’s not lost any size, and you rarely see the cup marks on him he had for ages when he first said it. I don’t see anything in his multi company schedule that he’s as banged up as he worked a crowd to say at a q&a to turn them against him in character 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I know it sounds a tad petulant but if they've really ditched Adam for the ex-WWE star them I'm out.

Is it though?

One of the reasons I stopped watching WWE and TNA was because of how often they'd get me invested in a story and then fuck it up. I'm not saying I'll stop watching but, this is one of my favourite stories ever, and a bad ending would leave an awful taste in my mouth.

I'm really hoping it's a work. Regardless of whatever else is going on, Omega needs to drop the belt to Page clean. Hangman can drop the title on the very next Dynamite if need be. We just need to see a satisfying ending to THIS part of the story first before we move on.

3 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Why does the story have to end at All Out, (all) out of interest? Why couldn't they extend it, have Omega beat Punk and Bryan, then have Page beat Omega in a few months? There's plenty of interest and milage in it I reckon. 

I think they've come too far to turn back now. There's a real risk of Lugering Hangman here. The story that "Hangman is amazing but he doesn't believe in himself and had friends who wouldn't support him" is kind of fucked if he resolves all that and still fucking loses.

I mean you don't even need Punk in a match at All Out, fucking hell. You get your massive return pop, surely, and then a few weeks of Sting-like "But what's he going to do, why's he here?" intrigue. There's so long to build up to this stuff. Punk and Danielson are 'draws' without them needing to go straight to the main event of the first supercard they're on. So not only would it kill this no alarms and no surprises, "Just give us the hero's ending" stuff they're getting us built up on with Page, it also seems pointless from both a creative and business perspective. 

The only thing I can think of is signing outside deals with media/sponsorship etc where they're selling the event as a big Punk title fight or something because these third parties don't understand that you can be an event on a wrestling card just by showing up. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I think there's a real symmetry to it ending at All Out - the first All Out was when Page failed to beat Jericho to become the first champion, which is what set him off into self-doubt, and the second was where him and Omega lost the Tag Titles, so to finally win the biggest match of his career at All Out would be a great story.

• Paid Members

For a company who’s proven themselves to have such great instincts and fantastic read on their audience, bringing in Punk to replace Hangman at All Out absolutely stinks of bringing in Batista ahead of Daniel Bryan in 2014. It’ll be even more wild if they bring in Danielson himself to replace Hangman.

You either retire an internet darling or you wrestle long enough to become the legend who’s crowbarred into someone else’s spot.