• Awards Moderator

I’ve been burning my way through Cheers on the Channel 4 app. It’s always been one of my favourite shows, but with each watch I can’t get over how good it is.

The writing and timing is second to none. Every character brings so much to it and it’s so fast-paced you can sometimes struggle to keep up.

It’s 100% in the top three sitcoms of all time. I know @Chiliwill agree.

I've been watching Cheers from the start on Paramount+ because I'd only ever seen bits of it every now and again. Just at the end of season 5 and I agree that it's excellent.

My only gripe is the quality of the beer pouring! Some of the heads on the drinks they had over, and that customers accept, drive me nuts!!!

• Paid Members

The latest episode of Succession was one of the bleakest hours of TV I've ever seen. Not only mad me sad and depressed about the characters in the show but made me feel terrible about the state of the real world too. Gruelling to watch. It made me want fucking Shiv of all people to come out on top at the end. The banality of evil was on full force this week.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The banality of evil was on full force this week.

I just love how they remind you how shitty they all are. It is one of the finest satires of the times we live in, and the only post-Trump show that has got it bang on.

It also remains hilarious.

• Paid Members

Apparently there's another new revival of Gladiators coming out, on iPlayer this time. I didn't know whether to stick the news in here or Things You Know Will Be Shit. 

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023/new-gladiators-giant-fire-and-legend

• Awards Moderator
18 hours ago, gmoney said:

Matthew McFadden

I've been listening to the official podcast and he was a guest on the show last week. The most surprising thing to me was like you, I thought his name was McFadden. But it's spelt MacFadyen and you pronounce the Y. My tiny mind couldn't wrap my head round it. 

• Paid Members

I'm rewatching Benidorm, I forgot how genuinely good the first series was. Sure, turned shite fairly quickly though.

A few years back my mam went to Benidorm and said the place is just like the show. I have never wanted to visit anywhere less without it being a war zone.

• Paid Members

Watching the Sweeney again from the start. God, what a great first episode. The lads, June Brown (who still looks 80 here even though it was recorded in 1975, one for the hard paper round thread) and a subdued Brian Blessed with Jeremy Beadle's stick on beard on his real beard.

Highlight is Blessed getting shot at point blank range by a shotgun, falling from a ten foot wall and his lead henchman tapping his corpse and going 'alright, Frank?' repeatedly like he's got a stubbed toe.

A perfect hour of viewing, 10/10.

The Girl From Plainville is a bit too dumb for something portraying such a recent and well publicized crime but fuck me, Elle Fanning is giving her all and makes it worth watching either way. I never thought I'd see her and my girl Chloë Sevigny in something together either.

Yellowjackets continues to be the darkest thing on TV, the actresses playing young Shauna and Callie have been especially great recently.

• Paid Members

Put on the latest 3 by 3 quiz show episode of Inside No.9 with my in-laws and wife who didn't know it wasn't a proper quiz show. Proper funny them trying to figure out what's going on. 

Finished the fifth American Horror Story. It continues to fascinate and frustrate. In this season (Hotel) the scenes and stories with Iris and Liz Taylor were top notch, probably down to the acting. But the whole vampire story was a massive distraction, and Lady Gaga was abysmal. 

It seems to be the formula for the last few seasons, one half is great, the other really isn’t.