On 6/5/2023 at 9:44 PM, SuperBacon said:

You should :)

Yellowjackets series 2 finale. Bit disappointed if I'm honest. I've enjoyed this series, and there have been some highlights (your Lynskeys, your Riccis, your Woods) but it hasn't been as good as the first series, but I suppose that's to be expected as I believe it was just due to be one series originally.

Also, finale spoiler 

Hide contents

NATALIE!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's definitely been a messier season and you're right that it was meant to be a one and done thing, you can kinda tell when exactly things changed when a certain someone was kidnapped. Seems like she can't escape fate..

I do enjoy how they ramped up the edginess at times, you just don't see things get that dark on TV and while I wouldn't want every show to take that route it's good one is.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I thought the first 2 eps of season 16 of It's always sunny were really good. I like the show but I'm not a die hard fan like lots of people who watch it. For the last couple of seasons I was thinking it might be past its best but it feels like they've tried to make it a bit more like it used to be with these ones so far which is cool.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I thought the first 2 eps of season 16 of It's always sunny were really good. I like the show but I'm not a die hard fan like lots of people who watch it. For the last couple of seasons I was thinking it might be past its best but it feels like they've tried to make it a bit more like it used to be with these ones so far which is cool.

I thought the same thing. The show has always been political and satirical but the last few seasons (aside from the Ireland one which just wasn’t that great) have been really heavy handed with it, often at the expense of jokes.

This season like you said seems to have went back to their older model of putting jokes first but still making a commentary and it’s been much better for it.

Been keeping up with Platonic on Apple. Enjoyment to be had from it is dependent on your Seth Rogen tolerance but Rose Byrne is delightful either way and the supporting characters are pretty good. Also has a great running joke with the city escooters that never fails to crack me up.

Also started Beef. Steven Yeun and Ali Wong get all the stars but everyone is great. Excited to see where it ends up.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Also started Beef. Steven Yeun and Ali Wong get all the stars but everyone is great. Excited to see where it ends up.

Beef was fantastic. Great soundtrack as well. Enjoy it. 

I started Succession about a week or so ago. Already on the second season. Enjoying it so far. Every ‘Fuck off’ is brilliant. The ending to the first season was just great. Jeremy Strong killed it in that scene

Spoiler

Where it all came crashing down when Logan concocted the cover story for his role in the waiters death

• Paid Members

Watched a few things over the last couple of weeks I've been meaning to get around to.

Derry Girls

Very good, series 1 was a nice treat, got even better in series 2 before dipping a bit in the third series, but still fun. One of those shows where you invest a lot in the characters, even though there's not much of a narrative, and that's down to the performances. Interesting setting as well. I'd say the only weak link was the guy playing the boy, but he wasn't bad enough to be offensive and he had his moments. 

Fleabag

Rolled my eyes quite a few times during the first few episodes as the upper middle-classness beamed through the screen, but it won me over despite that and I ended up having a good time with it. Sian Clifford playing the sister was absolutely top notch it this, and always great to see Brett Gelman. Even Hugh Dennis managed to be good in it. 

The Rehearsal 

Not sure why I put this off for so long, I ended up bingeing the whole thing in an afternoon. Astounding, hilarious  bewildering and occasionally deeply uncomfortable. I'd be interested in knowing how much of this was legit, but I suspect that the magic trick is part of what made it so fascinating. Like a Charlie Kauffman film in documentary form. If you don't know much about this, I'd recommend going in blind. 

Edited by gmoney

I think Fleabag has one of the saddest and best endings of all time. A wonderful show.

And as for The Rehearsal I completely agree. I love Fielder, but there were moments in this (as with NFY ender Finding Frances) that I did feel unease with, but I suppose that's the point.

Some excellent all time nutters on the show as well. The lad who keeps mentioning his Scion cad crash was the loopiest of all.

Second series is out very shortly apparently. 

That's a good theory! I know he's co-created a new show with one of the Safdie brothers, but surely even Nathan wouldn't be that "meta"?

There is a show that I read about a few weeks back called Jury Duty which sounds similar in that only one or two people knows its scripted. Anyone seen that?

56 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

There is a show that I read about a few weeks back called Jury Duty which sounds similar in that only one or two people knows its scripted. Anyone seen that?

Yes I saw a few episodes and was pleasantly surprised. Would recommend if you've got a few hours to kill

• Awards Moderator
21 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

The ending to the first season was just great. Jeremy Strong killed it in that scene

I'm on a re-watch now and watched that scene last night. He's just amazing, the stuff that passes over his face is scrutable. Mrs Onyx and I commented how he does the best stammering, so naturally parsed without sounding like an actor inserting an "um" or "ah". 

I enjoyed what I saw of The Rehearsal but I couldn’t shake off the feeling I was being worked and refuse to believe it is anything other than pro wrestling. I like the look of Jury Duty but have the same reservations. It’s on the free Amazon channel isn’t it?

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

That's a good theory! I know he's co-created a new show with one of the Safdie brothers, but surely even Nathan wouldn't be that "meta"?

Jury Duty is all scripted and everyone is an actor except one guy who thinks its all real.