14 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Episode 4 was very harrowing. My girlfriend sobbed during his comedy show breakdown. Absolutely brilliant and heartbreaking show that struck a few nerves. Great performances too. Think it’s a show I couldn’t watch again though. 

Yeah my wife asked if it's something she'd enjoy. I said no. I'm not sure if I could sit through it again. 

Series two of Blue Lights is off to a strong start, I don't trust the darkwave listening new guy though.. they've managed to get a great cast there and the new Loyalist baddies are all scummy bastards. Good bit of cop TV.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, TheBurningRed said:

Episode 4 was very harrowing. My girlfriend sobbed during his comedy show breakdown. Absolutely brilliant and heartbreaking show that struck a few nerves. Great performances too. Think it’s a show I couldn’t watch again though. 

That has to be the most bleak episode of television I've ever seen. Very tough to watch though the performance from the lead actor is outstanding. I don't know if I can sit through any more of it after all that but I'll finish the series before long. 

6 hours ago, Boycie said:

That has to be the most bleak episode of television I've ever seen. Very tough to watch though the performance from the lead actor is outstanding. I don't know if I can sit through any more of it after all that but I'll finish the series before long. 

That was definitely one of my worries. I thought fucking hell if that's episode 4 I dread to think what the rest of it is like. It goes quite against conventional storytelling in some ways. But makes complete sense as it's very much about what comes after too. It's all intertwined. It's definitely worth finishing. I still feel quite bleak after it to be honest but it's a story that deserves finishing.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

That was definitely one of my worries. I thought fucking hell if that's episode 4 I dread to think what the rest of it is like. It goes quite against conventional storytelling in some ways. But makes complete sense as it's very much about what comes after too. It's all intertwined. It's definitely worth finishing. I still feel quite bleak after it to be honest but it's a story that deserves finishing.

Right, I've finished it now and I'm glad I did. Overall it was an excellent series and the acting was just superb from all involved. 

It's been a long time since I've watched something that stirred such emotions. Some of it made me laugh, some of it made me cringe and some of it was just downright uncomfortable.

I think it'll be a good while before I decide to give it a rewatch. Totally deserving of all the plaudits it's been getting.

On 4/21/2024 at 8:20 AM, DavidB6937 said:

How yer man acted all that out after going through it the first time i’ll never know. 

• Paid Members

People finding and sharing her details online was always going to happen, but it's still a dick move. As was writing it in such a way that she could be identified this quickly. It's a shame because it's such a good piece of work, but that's just not on.

I think when he wrote it originally back in 2019 when it was just a stage show at the Edinburgh Fringe, I don't think he expected it to get so big to the point that people would actually go looking for her.

I saw that he said he'd changed her details so much that she wouldn't even recognise herself in the show, but that was obviously to try and put people off searching for her. That didn't work though.

Also surely people can just go through every message that's @'ed him in Twitter?  There's only so many details he can change and surely there's an absolute tonne of messages she sent him (and the show insinuates the messages displayed on screen are real right? i'm only a couple episodes in so might have got the wrong impression, as others have said it's not exactly a binge watch!)

If he created the show without thinking she'd be identified then that's very naieve..  I can't imagine thats the case though given he acknowledges he's using this mentally unstable person for material in show (although I realise part of that links to the whole victims blaming themselves thing he's looking at)

Fallout

Yeah, it's great. As other have said, the perfect amount of game stuff to keep the game fans happy, and more than enough for non-fans to still find it enjoyable. Jonathan Nolan doesn't half like a dual-timeline narrative, doesn't he!

But only real gripe with the show was the final episode...

Spoiler

the "twist" in the storyline that they're all cryogenically frozen during a nuclear wipeout is basically lifted straight from Wayward Pines, if you've ever read that book/watched the show.

Also, the de-aging of Kyle Maclachlan was atrocious.

Phoenix Nights

Without a doubt, one of the very best this country has ever produced. Just an incredibly funny show. Kenny Sr is by far my favourite. "It's nearly hanging off" 

🎵 Just rip with me, and rip with me and tear with me right now 🎵

Spaced

Probably the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen this all the way through, and my favourite time by far. It's a really warm show, and has a lot of heart. Mike is hilarious. 

I cannot stop saying "Oi ooooooi you lucky peeeooopleeeeee" in the style of Tyres though, much to the annoyance of my kids.

Skint

One of my very first jobs was in a pawnbrokers, so when this first aired in mid 00s, I of course watched it, and randomly came across it all on YouTube so am rewatching.

It's a tough watch, but Vernon, the Brummie Big Issue seller is the most watchable person ever. The whole series should've been him, and I'm pleased to read recently that he's still alive and doing well.