• Paid Members

I never thought Brent was a bad person especially. He just wanted to be popular more than anything and he tried too hard to make people like him and it ended up having the opposite effect.

It's like the band member said to him near the end of Life on the Road , if he just relaxed a bit and stopped trying too hard then people would like him more.

Neil was a right slimy bastard and just not likeable at all.

Yeah Neil was awful. Just an untrustable management twat. He's more dislikeable through being likeable by the rest of the staff, but he's proper 'Dominoes pizza instead of a bonus' to me.

Brent was spineless and afraid of confrontation, but being obviously a bit of a pathetic, lonely type makes you feel a bit bad, also because he's funny as the character.

I genuinely can't remember what the payoff for Gareth's character was now. Brent dated an actual woman, Tim/Lucy etc.

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He is an insecure man child who uses shit humour, hackneyed catchphrases and being downright offensive to try and win the affection of a bunch of people smarter, kinder, and better than him. 

He's some who's desperate to be liked. He's way more tragic than just a wanker. All his humour is stolen off of other people with all of the intention and meaning ripped out, so it's just him saying the stupid or offensive things. He also isn't trying to be offensive, he just ends up being so as he's so desperately trying not to be or trying to impress someone who is essentially bulling him (Finch) I think it's one of the true greatest comedic performances. It's perfect.

Don't get the Tim hate. It's just someone bored trying to make their day go quicker by winding up the guy in the office who is so serious. Most of it rolls of Gareth's back and none of it is 'cruel' per se in the way the US office Jim/Dwight veered. Martin Freeman is also wonderful in that role

4 minutes ago, Factotum said:

He's some who's desperate to be liked.

To be honest, my post was me poking fun at myself by pretending to have no self awareness. A bit Brentian you could say!

Agree on Tim, he hates himself more than anyone he works with because he has settled for mediocrity. I also don’t get the Neil hate. He was a decent manager. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

To be honest, my post was me poking fun at myself by pretending to have no self awareness. A bit Brentian you could say!

Agree on Tim, he hates himself more than anyone he works with because he has settled for mediocrity. I also don’t get the Neil hate. He was a decent manager. 

He's just so smarmy and fake. During the final episode when he fed Finchy that line about Brents date (and Brent finally stood up to Finchy as a result), the way he looks embarrassingly into the camera afterwards as he knew he'd been caught out revealing his true nature.