• Paid Members

Finished the second series of Vigil, the usual solid and enjoyable BBC fare. This one had Romola Garai in it though so it was better than the first one.

Started watching Boys from the Blackstuff as well. Haven't seen it since I was a kid. Might do an Alan Bleasdale binge, he never missed.

Still doing Hill Street Blues. Still brilliant.

Spoiler

Esterhas just died :(

Nearly at the end The Office series 7, still good so far. Series 3 of It's Always Sunny is excellent too, as widely reported, I believe.

Zo, the Oz short film featuring Beecher & O’Reily post-Oz and which was only previously available as part of the ATX TV Festival back in the pandemic, is coming to YouTube on May 1st

cBuiA7H.jpeg

As some of you know I do the Inside Oz Podcast (S4BE15 - Even The Score will be available tomorrow), so I’m super stoked that I finally get to see this as it means the pod can have its rightful conclusion. I had previously been in touch with Tom Fontana about acquiring a copy, but it was during the writer’s strike so he wasn’t talking to anybody and there was already some “legal issues” preventing a release 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

On 4/17/2024 at 11:13 AM, Keith Houchen said:

So moved on to Monk. It’s marvellous. 

It really is, we're binging that at the moment.   The lost art of making 20 45-minute episodes that don't cost millions of dollars each.  These old shows are often way more popular on streaming than the enormously expensive "event" shows they make.

Nearly finished the new Walking Dead spin off. Yes, I hate myself. I'm sorry. Curiosity got the better of me.

It has its moments.

It's also really horny. Not something I thought I'd ever say about a zombie show but there you go.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Not to get in to ratings chat, but no one is joining for Monk. It's a background binge watch; the streaming equivalent to daytime TV.

They have their place, but the budget reflects the value.

They may not be what gets people joining, but they are usually the most streamed shows and what gets people to stick around.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-04-07/these-are-the-most-popular-tv-shows-of-the-streaming-era

Shows like NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds, get way more streams than most original shows on these platforms.  Only Stranger Things breaks the Top 10 Most Streamed since 2021.  

That's why there's suddenly been a glut of these old shows appearing on streaming - Criminal Minds, Law and Order, Monk, CSI have all appeared in the last 6 months.  Sometimes the deals are odd too - CSI Las Vegas is Season 10 onwards!  It's cheap obviously but it's also a strategy to keep people on the platform for longer periods and counter the join/leave cycle that some viewers are trying out.

If I was Netflix I'd be working on producing some long-series, episodical tv shows of that nature to accompany their marquee drama shows.  

46 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Nearly finished the new Walking Dead spin off. Yes, I hate myself. I'm sorry. Curiosity got the better of me.

It has its moments.

It's also really horny. Not something I thought I'd ever say about a zombie show but there you go.

Is that The World Beyond?  Those teen dramas can be REALLY horny for obvious reasons.

Edited by Loki
avoiding double posts.

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

Is that The World Beyond?  Those teen dramas can be REALLY horny for obvious reasons.

Ha. Nah, I never gave that one a go. This one is the Rick/Michonne one - The Ones Who Live. I think it was originally going to be movies but they made a show instead.

It's them running around killing zombies and then being all over each other in between. It's like death is their aphrodisiac. So odd.

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Loki said:

Shows like NCIS, Grey's Anatomy, Criminal Minds, get way more streams than most original shows on these platforms.  Only Stranger Things breaks the Top 10 Most Streamed since 2021.  

That's why there's suddenly been a glut of these old shows appearing on streaming - Criminal Minds, Law and Order, Monk, CSI have all appeared in the last 6 months.  Sometimes the deals are odd too - CSI Las Vegas is Season 10 onwards!  It's cheap obviously but it's also a strategy to keep people on the platform for longer periods and counter the join/leave cycle that some viewers are trying out.

If I was Netflix I'd be working on producing some long-series, episodical tv shows of that nature to accompany their marquee drama shows.  

I don't disagree with any of this. My point was more that they need to be cheap because their appeal lies in there being a lot of episodes.

15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I don't disagree with any of this. My point was more that they need to be cheap because their appeal lies in there being a lot of episodes.

I usually have to choose our “Show before bed” viewing and it fills me with dread. If something has loads of episodes and didn’t get canned without a proper ending, I go for that so I can go over 100 days before having to choose again! 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I usually have to choose our “Show before bed” viewing and it fills me with dread. If something has loads of episodes and didn’t get canned without a proper ending, I go for that so I can go over 100 days before having to choose again! 

I watch a lot of TV and my wife gets so annoyed if we watch something that doesn't have a proper ending. It's almost as if I have to watch it first to veto the bloody thing or not.

It is very irritating when you invest your time in to something and then they don't give you a resolution. I want stories tied up. I hope open ended endings. I don't want to use my brain to interpret an ending, I want you to tell me, it's your story, not mine.