Fuck me if Masters of the Air didn’t feature the all time greatest flag shagging moment in the final episode. Really enjoyed the series that managed to blow a huge budget on some brilliant aerial shots whilst having absolutely shocking green screen spattered throughout. As good as Callum Turner and the chap who played Rosie were you gotta hand it to Elvis who just looks like an absolute mega star every time he’s on screen. The living embodiment of an aftershave advert. I look forward to trying to guess where I’ve seen the other 90% of the actors before in the years to come.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

I started rewatching On Cinema from the start and it's definitely and unironically one of the greatest achievements in comedy history. It's also perfectly summed up by this Letterboxd review.

Screenshot2024-03-2018_12_15.thumb.png.f7c6c7dfdde3dcd0fc356c0ea00d9751.png

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I started rewatching On Cinema from the start and it's definitely and unironically one of the greatest achievements in comedy history. It's also perfectly summed up by this Letterboxd review.

Screenshot2024-03-2018_12_15.thumb.png.f7c6c7dfdde3dcd0fc356c0ea00d9751.png

This always sounds well up my street so its time to watch it. Pirate job?

Forgot where I was with Atlanta so started from the beginning. Didn't love series 3 as much as everyone else seemingly did, but maybe that's because I loved series 1 and 2. Still some incredible episodes in there, but I was bored a lof the time during the 3rd.

Just started series 4.

On 3/6/2024 at 2:04 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Started Mr Mercedes last night. Really good first episode. Nice to see Brendan Gleeson playing a disgruntled miserable bastard for a change

Really good first season, was expecting worse because it’s a Stephen King thing. An excellent cat and mouse type thriller. However, it’s gone all Stephen King in the second series because. 

Spoiler

Season one ended with the protagonist being head stoved into a vegetative state. Along comes a genius maverick neurosurgeon type who gives him some experimental drugs. Now, despite being in a coma, he can seemingly hypnotise people and enter their minds via a shit iPad  

Jesus fucking Christ, as Gleeson would say. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This always sounds well up my street so its time to watch it. Pirate job?

The first 8 years of stuff is all on YouTube, including the Oscar specials. Then it moved to its own pay site after Adult Swim threatened to axe it to cut costs. This gives you the timeline of all the pre-Hei Network stuff.

https://oncinematimeline.com/

It's the slowest burn thing you'll ever watch. I didn't get it first time round and if you generally don't like that sort of Adult Swim/alt anti-humour thing, I'd tread carefully. But once I did get into it I've been a massive fan ever since. The Trial is one of the most brilliant creations I've ever seen, especially.

• Paid Members

Just finished The Curse. An absolutely incredibly series overall featuring some of the best acting and complex character dynamics I've ever seen and a fascinating portrayal of a deeply abusive relationship between two awful people in a way I haven't seen before. 

However the finale left me in two minds. On one hand it was a wildly unpredictable and hilarious finale that perfectly encapsulated the series themes. But on a plot/story level it left me fairly unsatisfied. 

29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

However the finale left me in two minds. On one hand it was a wildly unpredictable and hilarious finale that perfectly encapsulated the series themes. But on a plot/story level it left me fairly unsatisfied. 

Yeah I was sat watching it on a train on the way to work and I wondered what the fuck anyone would think if they walked past and saw what I was watching. I hoped they didn't expect me to explain because I didn't have a fucking clue myself. I still don't know how I feel about it. I've read about it after and obviously it's incredibly open to interpretation. I do love that they did whatever they wanted to do and I'm okay with things not being completely tied up in a neat bow but you're right about the lack of satisfaction. I guess that's life though right?

I've only watched the first two episodes, but Shogun (Disney+) is good.  Really, really good.  It's fantastically well shot and directed, and the pacing and writing is absolutely top notch.  

It's not even remotely fantasy, but it has that Game Of Thrones thing of weaving a wonderfully complex political intrigue.  I've no idea where it's going but fuck me, it's great tv.

Probably the best series I've come across in a long while, since Bosch probably, where all the elements are done well and you end each episode wanting to roll straight into the next one.

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

I've only watched the first two episodes, but Shogun (Disney+) is good.  Really, really good.  It's fantastically well shot and directed, and the pacing and writing is absolutely top notch.  

It's not even remotely fantasy, but it has that Game Of Thrones thing of weaving a wonderfully complex political intrigue.  I've no idea where it's going but fuck me, it's great tv.

Probably the best series I've come across in a long while, since Bosch probably, where all the elements are done well and you end each episode wanting to roll straight into the next one.

What do you make of Cosmo Jarvis? I’ve heard him described as 80% Tom Hardy which is pretty funny and quite accurate but I do enjoy him as the gentle brute who thinks the really clean incredibly disciplined people are the savages.

On 12/23/2022 at 3:12 PM, SuperBacon said:

I watched a lovely series on the iplayer this week. Martin Compstons Scottish Fling which is just the actor and his mate Phil MacHugh going up and down Scotland. Pretty simple concept.

Scotland is such a stunning country, which helps, but the people they meet are genuinely interesting. From drag queens, to a Syrian family who ended up one of the Western Isles and opened up a barbers, to going to see games developers in Dundee, its all great and the two hosts are clearly really good friends, and there are some really sweet moments. They even go and see ICW for you wrestling fans among us.

No idea why I put it on, as I wasn't really intending to watch it, but I'm glad I did, and in 2023 I think I'll make an effort to get up there, hopefully the western isles or the Highlands. 

Easy watch, well recommended. 

New one of these, Martin Compstons Norwegian Fling, up on the iplayer.

Nothing groundbreaking, just him and his mate Phil going around Norway and meeting people again. Really great stuff, I do love a travel doc with good mates.

On 3/20/2024 at 8:26 PM, SuperBacon said:

Forgot where I was with Atlanta so started from the beginning. Didn't love series 3 as much as everyone else seemingly did, but maybe that's because I loved series 1 and 2. Still some incredible episodes in there, but I was bored a lof the time during the 3rd.

Just started series 4.

Series 4 was much better than 3, and I really loved the ending to it all. Even though I felt it dipped massively in large chunks, its still a fantastic show, and levels above a large chunk of telly.

I wish I was married to Zazie Beets. Or Donald Glover. Or both?

15 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

What do you make of Cosmo Jarvis? I’ve heard him described as 80% Tom Hardy which is pretty funny and quite accurate but I do enjoy him as the gentle brute who thinks the really clean incredibly disciplined people are the savages.

I'm impressed - he's got that Tom Hardy physicality about him for sure.  His accent is super plummy but that's deliberate I think, to distinguish that he's English even though he's actually speaking Portugese.  There is, I think, a LOT more to his character than the initial episode suggests and it's not even really clear if he's a "good guy" or more of an anti-hero.  

• Paid Members

Cosmo Jarvis is great, and for me his performance in Calm With Horses is more impressive than anything Tom Hardy has done (saying that, I'm not a massive Hardy fan).

Had no interest in Shogun initially but didn't realise Jarvis was in it, so that's getting added to the list.

A couple more Irish related shows recently after the Kin watch, The Gone was a pretty good mystery set in New Zealand with an Irish couple going missing, I do love myself a show set in a small but quirky little town, as you know. It has hints of the spook about it too, but never really going into supernatural territory.

Next was Blue Lights which was fucking excellent and up there with Line of Duty, and a new season is just around the corner. A really great cast of characters here.

On 3/19/2024 at 8:07 AM, Mr_Danger said:

Fuck me if Masters of the Air didn’t feature the all time greatest flag shagging moment in the final episode. Really enjoyed the series that managed to blow a huge budget on some brilliant aerial shots whilst having absolutely shocking green screen spattered throughout. As good as Callum Turner and the chap who played Rosie were you gotta hand it to Elvis who just looks like an absolute mega star every time he’s on screen. The living embodiment of an aftershave advert. I look forward to trying to guess where I’ve seen the other 90% of the actors before in the years to come.

Enjoyed Masters Of Air for what it was. But the character development was dreadful. It was comedic at times, the way people would pop up and then disappear again.

Spoiler

The young lad who was saved by the French Resistance and somehow got helped back to England. His story featured in a whole episode. Then nothing. Then the following episode in a 10 second clip. He rolls back onto base on a bicycle and then he gets sent home. They never finished what was happening with Harry Crosby and Subbleton Westgate. It also seemed strange they introduced a bunch of new characters in the penultimate episode, from a different airborne division. They all got the "what happened next" treatment in the final credits. But the commanders at the base, they didn't. They all seem to disappear towards the end.