True Detective: Night Country

Considering they seem to completely forget about the main storyline for four of the six episodes, it's was decent. Jodie Foster is great as expected, Kali Reis should have stuck to boxing, and theres some very dodgy American accents from Fiona Shaw and Christopher Ecclestone. It's really well directed though and looks lovely except for the odd dodgy bit of CGI - they can't seem to quite crack CGI snow storms, but really can do people getting shot in the head from point blank range.

I didn't think it was as good as the first season, but loads better than the second (well, the two episodes I watched). I haven't the third but I may give it a go after watching this.

• Paid Members

I'm six episodes in to Warrior. It says it's based on the writings of Bruce Lee, and he must have been about 13 when he wrote this because it's all fighting and sex scenes. I like it. If it keeps up it will join Banshee and Spartacus: Boobs & Sand in the upper echelon of guilty pleasure shows. Thank you, Cinemax!

On 2/19/2024 at 8:31 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Nice to see an old episode of Only Connect where a team with The Beast from The Chase gets an absolute stuffing. Mind you the other team were all Mastermind finalists at some point so not shabby at all. Vicky Coren as she was then looking delightful as always. 

Absolutely hilarious to see his captain keep rolling his eyes at him and getting more and more wound up as Mark kept butting in and talking over him. I live for that kind of passive aggressiveness.

Watched Fleabag again for maybe the 4th time. What an incredible show that is, the performances of Olivia Colman and Sian Clifford the highlights for me this time, and that last 5 minutes is bang up there with the finest TV ever.

On 2/13/2024 at 10:32 PM, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Binged Outer Range on Amazon. Cracking show! 

Josh Brolin as a Wyoming cattle rancher. Slight x files spookiness throughout. Warring neighbours.

Yep. Works for me.

I watched the first episode and it just didn't click for me.  The mix of setting and supernatural/scifi felt odd - plus it dragged a lot.  Is it worth going back to and seeing the series out?

19 minutes ago, Loki said:

I watched the first episode and it just didn't click for me.  The mix of setting and supernatural/scifi felt odd - plus it dragged a lot.  Is it worth going back to and seeing the series out?

Probably not, it doesn’t get better as it goes. There’s some things to like in it but they never got the balance right. That being said I’d give a second series a go just to see if they build on any of the good stuff.

17 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

True Detective: Night Country

Considering they seem to completely forget about the main storyline for four of the six episodes, it's was decent. Jodie Foster is great as expected, Kali Reis should have stuck to boxing, and theres some very dodgy American accents from Fiona Shaw and Christopher Ecclestone. It's really well directed though and looks lovely except for the odd dodgy bit of CGI - they can't seem to quite crack CGI snow storms, but really can do people getting shot in the head from point blank range.

I didn't think it was as good as the first season, but loads better than the second (well, the two episodes I watched). I haven't the third but I may give it a go after watching this.

Definitely give the third series a chance. It’s better than 2 and 4. Quite underrated considering the praise the first series got and whilst it never hits the highs of that it’s more akin to that series than the others. They’ll never top seedy Woody Harrelson having a right good go on Alexandra Dadarrio’s titties or licking his lips at the prospect of bum bum time with his young side lady.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Loki said:

Honestly I'd maybe give the second episode a go. After then if you still don't like it I can't see it being for you.

I'm watching the live action version of Avatar: The Last Airbender and and it's surprisingly not terrible, after awful adaptations from Netflix like Death Note and Cowboy Bebop they've seemingly got their act together with this and One Piece. It's also far from brilliant and possibly not even needed but the young cast really make it work, it's just never going to live up to the original which is rightfully seen as one of the best cartoons ever (even if I prefer Korra).

The Ones Who Live

I know. I know. I'm disappointed at myself too. But I'm weak for Andrew Lincoln and Terry O'Quinn is in it and I'll watch him in anything.

Anyway. I thought it was alright. Especially as I haven't really watched any Walking Dead spin offs or even finished the original series. Lincoln and Danai Gurira have an unquestionable chemistry so they'll carry this forward.

One of the main problems of the original was that they had way too many episodes and people just walked around doing fuck all. So this shorter series should be a lot more focused.

• Paid Members

We’ve had Slow Horses recommended to us by several people so started watching.

Season 1 was ok but nothing special. Knowing nothing about it, we were surprised how the show started as some sort of serious spy thriller and then became a bit silly quite quickly.

Season 2 was an absolute mess that we just couldn’t follow, and season 3 is quite fun, but only when considered through the lens of it now just basically being a comedy.

I really don't get the praise the show’s been getting, apart from Gary Oldman. For the cast they’ve assembled, it’s utterly underwhelming.

If it wasn’t for Gary Oldman as Lamb, we’d have probably stopped watching it to be honest.

Finished Manifest. It was enjoyable guff but they went from a brilliant top baddie in Elizabeth Marvel’s The Major, to an awful top baddie in Holly Taylor’s Angelina. Nothing against the actor but the character was shite. 

Started Mr Mercedes last night. Really good first episode. Nice to see Brendan Gleeson playing a disgruntled miserable bastard for a change. 

• Paid Members

Kin (BBC iPlayer) - We binged through both series of this (only 8eps per series) & thoroughly enjoyed it. I often dismiss BBC stuff under the assumption it'll be lightweight but no such fear with this. Cracking ensemble cast & real edge of the seat stuff if places. Francis Magee is fantastic and exudes menace. Heavy recommend for fans of violent gangster shit.