• Paid Members

I don't think I'll bother with that. I don't want to know why Don Logan became so unhinged. It's never a question I've ever thought about. He was a great one off character, so I'll leave it there. 

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I don't think I'll bother with that. I don't want to know why Don Logan became so unhinged. It's never a question I've ever thought about. He was a great one off character, so I'll leave it there. 

I can definitely see where you're coming from there. He was pretty awesome as a one off character. However, it did always strike me as a film where a good backstory would be interesting. If you'd rather just leave it as it is then fair play.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Yeah, half the trailer was enough to count me out of it. Emun Elliott's Ben Kingsley impression should go in the Jesus Fucking Christ thread.

Finished Silo, and enjoyed it immensely. Proper Lost vibes at points, which is a huge positive. They absolutley nailed the finale too. Cant wait to see what happens. Crazy to see Common be so good in it too. I used to listen to him alot back in the old days (the Be album was a favourate back then), so its great to see him be so good in this too. Great petrformances and stories throughout this! I hope they dont do a Lost and make a mess of it, but I assume as its from a series of books which have ended, then theres far less chance of that happening.

Also finished Lessons in Chemistry. Brie Larson is surely going to be the Sarah Snook of this years awards season. Considering how the strike will likely mean there wont be a huge amount of stuff coming out this year, she will surely win every Best Actress award for this show. Well deserved too, as she is unbelievably good. The show is outstanding, and I recommend everyone give it a watch. Episode 3 was one of the best things Ive watched in years too. If (like me) youre a dog owner, it will certainly be a very memorable episode.

On a side note, Hijack has been renewed for another season. Will be very interesting to see what they do for it. Surely they cant do another plane one, so will be interesting to see what the location will be.

Edited by Dai

One Day (Netflix)

On paper this really isn't my kind of thing. I was just bored last night, wasn't really in the mood to focus on my usual shows and randomly flicked through Netflix. Saw this had whatsherface out of Poldark in it so decided to give it a go.

First of all I was pretty misled on that as she isn't even in half of it. But I digress.

I only knew the book by name. Hadn't read it. Never saw the movie. I do wonder how they managed to fit it all into one movie as the series is 14 episodes and it deals with quite a lot.

I've just finished it in a day. There's something ridiculously addictive about it. I think it's the performances of the two leads. They make both roles captivating and deep and multi layered and real. Their journeys feel natural and you want to follow them. Some of the characters are utterly annoying but you even sympathise with them at points too.

I feel utterly exhausted emotionally by the whole thing but it's probably the most I've felt watching a show since Normal People. A lot of series like this have popped up in recent years and a lot don't manage to hit that sweet spot of capturing true real life emotions but this really does.

I need to go and watch something funny and utterly brain dead now to reset.

• Paid Members

Approaching the end of The Tourist series 2 and it's starting to over-plot itself and lose its sense of humour, which is a shame.

I also started watching It's Only Sunny, which I hear is quite popular in these parts. Have to admit that I enjoyed the first couple of episodes a lot more than I did when I tried them a few years ago and they're a fair bit better than they seem to be given credit for.

Also, still watching Hill Street Blues and it's still the best TV show of the 1980s.

21 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Approaching the end of The Tourist series 2 and it's starting to over-plot itself and lose its sense of humour, which is a shame.

I genuinely don't know how I feel about that show. My wife gave up after like 2 episodes of the first season but I powered through. I think I enjoyed it but didn't particularly feel the need for a second season. I'd almost forgotten it even existed by the time I saw it pop up on iPlayer again.

This second season has been.. strange? There's definitely some good stuff in there somewhere but it often feels like a show that just doesn't know what it wants to be.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

This second season has been.. strange? There's definitely some good stuff in there somewhere but it often feels like a show that just doesn't know what it wants to be.

I much prefer it when it's being funny - there are a couple of episodes that are almost entirely played for comedy, and they're the best ones. And Jamie Dornan and Danielle Macdonald are both excellent comedy actors. But it has some subplots that are totally unnecessary and it's all over the place, tonally. Yet still somewhat addictive. A real oddity.

Up to the penultimate episode of True Detective: Night Country. There’s a lot to like about it but it’s definitely not the return to form some would have you believe. It’s not even as good as the third season. Jodie Foster and Kali Reis make up for its biggest short coming which is basically a lack of plot. The quasi super natural/psychological elements give it a nice horror tone which fits well with the literal dark setting. I just wish they spent more time on the actual case which set up as really eerie and fucked up in episode one then made way for how uber alpha and broken the two female leads are.

Edited by Mr_Danger