• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

I went back a few pages and didn't see any mention of the show, so I figure it might be worth a mention. Slow Horses just finished its 3rd season.

Yeah, consistently excellent.  Quality wise AppleTV really hits the spot.  For All Mankind and Slow Horses have become all-time favourites for me.  Monarch Legacy of Monsters is having a really promising first season too expanding the modern Godzilla films.

Caroline Aherne: Queen Of Comedy is one of those really bittersweet shows because you are incredibly grateful that someone was able to provide us with so much entertainment and laughter, but sad that she is no longer here and taken far too young.

A fantastic writer and a wonderful actor, her friendship with Craig Cash seemed so beautiful and close, and I hope he's OK. Some of his scenes broke me completely. 

Even though I watched it really recently, it already makes me want to watch The Royle Family again.

Thanks for recommending the Caroline Ahern doc, as it was great. I seem to remember at the time that all of the news articles talked about how she died on her own in her house, and that was in the back of my mind when watching the end too, as it made it extra sad.

Finished off Succession. Was I the only one to find the last series a bit disappointing? It seems to always be topping the lists for best show of 2023, but I felt that I was ready for it to end when it did, and am not really that sad that there won't be any more. Barry (thanks again to everyone who recommended it here) was definitely the better of the two for me this year. 

Motherland is a really lovely little watch. Not as good as Ghosts, but similar in tone as a nice 'comfort' watch. Have finished it off and can thoroughly recommend. Seasons 2 and 3 spread the attention to multiple characters. 

Rewatching Spartacus too, and it's aged very well. Still a phenomenal show, with Hannah stealing the show. 

Faraway Downs (Disney)

Baz Luhrmann is very marmite - some people love some films and hate others, and there’s no real consensus on which are the good and which the bad!

So… if you absolutely hated Australia then this tv miniseries is probably one to miss.

If however you loved that film as a big old messy Western and Aussie myth making, then you might love this.  

It’s a loong extension of the movie, with tons of unused footage added in.  And it is absolutely gorgeous - the outback as if seen by John Ford.  I think actually the story suits a serial well, it’s like an old Hollywood cowboy show.

Nicole Kidman and Hugh Jackman are both extremely easy on the eye too, so there’s that.

• Paid Members

Been catching up on Reacher S2, I'm really enjoying it. Jack Reacher is the ultimate Mary Sue for men, it's hilarious, one step away from an action movie satire.

He can do anything, he's a 6'5 jacked cool badass who's a man of few words but also cracks wise in deadly situations and corrects peoples French. He's a stoic action man loner but also a handsome shagger who knows all about Talking Heads. Every bit of detective work he does is easy and convenient for him and nothing fazes him

It's an easy watch and Alan Ritchson is perfect in it, he was my fave in a shit superhero show I used to watch. I always thought he deserved more and was happy to see him get the perfect vehicle for himself.

Based On A True Story (NOW TV)

Was a little worried that the premise about the true crime podcast sounded too familiar to Only Murders.. but it's a completely different show thankfully.

Between this and Flight Attendant, Kaley Cuoco is well on her way to making up for all those years wasted on Big Bang.

A nice breezy 8 episode season with some fun humour and a good cast. Watched it all today. Easy watch.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

He's overpowered as fuck! I really liked the first season. I'm waiting until it's all out before I start S2, glad to hear it's still good.

I think like season 2 more, it's the perfect amount engrossing but breezy action packed watch that doesn't try to be overly complex, plus it has the T-1000 in it.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Loki said:

Baz Luhrmann is very marmite - some people love some films and hate others, and there’s no real consensus on which are the good and which the bad!

My favourite take on Baz Luhrmann was from Sage Francis, on The Get Down - something to the effect of, "if you don't like hip-hop, historical accuracy, or good acting, you'll love it".

1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

My favourite take on Baz Luhrmann was from Sage Francis, on The Get Down - something to the effect of, "if you don't like hip-hop, historical accuracy, or good acting, you'll love it".

That's hilarious, but then Sage has always been a funny dude.

Fool Me Once

My wife wanted to watch this and like all Harlan Coben adaptations, it's absolute turgid dogshit, but in a enjoyable, trashy way. It's proper TV for thick people. You could easily skip an episode and not get lost as every character seems to recap the entire storyline during every conversation they have. At one point the main character gets a phone call and the name on the phone says "sister-in-law" because the viewer can't be trusted to remember names. She phones Joanna Lumley's character later on and her caller ID photo on her phone is her press shot for the show.

It's surprisingly watchable considering the writers lack of subtlety and hand holding throughout the whole thing.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Fool Me Once

My wife wanted to watch this and like all Harlan Coben adaptations, it's absolute turgid dogshit, but in a enjoyable, trashy way. It's proper TV for thick people. You could easily skip an episode and not get lost as every character seems to recap the entire storyline during every conversation they have. At one point the main character gets a phone call and the name on the phone says "sister-in-law" because the viewer can't be trusted to remember names. She phones Joanna Lumley's character later on and her caller ID photo on her phone is her press shot for the show.

It's surprisingly watchable considering the writers lack of subtlety and hand holding throughout the whole thing.

My favourite bit of total bullshit was in an early episode where one of the young teen actors used Google Lens to identify someone in a photograph that 5 minutes earlier was hidden away in a card board box & only known to exist by a dead person.

It also seems to have a habit of trying to cover up its potholes by having a character exclaim “but it doesn’t make any sense”

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Fool Me Once

I’ve enjoyed the other HC stuff I’ve watched but this is a struggle to be honest.
It’s one of those shows where the lead character isn’t particularly likeable and it’s hard to feel any sympathy for her or even just want her to succeed.

In fact none of the characters are particularly likeable or even convincing. Some of the editing is terrible also. The plot is quite nonsensical really. Her taking down some fully grown with relative ease is complete bollocks too. 

I’m only on episode 4 and i hate not seeing things through so this could be a struggle .