Mr_Danger Posted December 18, 2023 Posted December 18, 2023 I’ve been watching A Murder At The End Of The World. It’s a pretty good whodunnit set in a remote hi tech Icelandic get away with a bunch of highly influential people from tech , business and arts etc. The main problem I have with it is the flash back segments are much better than the present day bits and I wish the show was just the flash back story. It’s no OA and is surprisingly conventional for Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 18, 2023 Members Posted December 18, 2023 The 1997 Shooting Stars Christmas Special Matt Lucas used to be so funny. What happened? Contains some very 1990s references which looking back from 2023 is very funny. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted December 18, 2023 Posted December 18, 2023 26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: The 1997 Shooting Stars Christmas Special Matt Lucas used to be so funny. What happened? Contains some very 1990s references which looking back from 2023 is very funny. Coincidentally I watched episode 1 last night which involved Matt Lucas blacking up as Mr T. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 18, 2023 Members Posted December 18, 2023 Such Brave Girls This is absolutely fantastic. Written by Kat Sadler and starring her and her real life sister Lizzie Davidson as a pair of siblings who love trauma, milking it, inviting it into their lives etc, and their Mum who was saddled by debt by their Dad leaving. Cheery. One of the funniest shows I've seen in ages, and the right blend of dark humour with some astute writing/observations. Both leads are brilliant but Paul Bazeley as their mums new boyfriend Dev is superb. Big recommendation, and a hidden gem on the iplayer. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 18, 2023 Posted December 18, 2023 Slowly been working my way through the latest Louis Theroux interviews. While I enjoy his crazy documentaries the most, I must admit these have been really interesting. It hasn't mattered if I've known the person before or even had any interest in them at all, each one has managed to be intriguing in its own right. And I think this second series has had a really eclectic mix of people you wouldn't normally see. They're small glimpses behind the curtains that are usually closed. Obviously with any documentary or interview you have to accept the edit and what's presented to you, and as long as you're okay with that then it's definitely a series worth watching. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 19, 2023 Author Paid Members Posted December 19, 2023 I think the Rivalry episode of People Just Do Nothing is my favourite yet. Steves looking after the baby, Chabuddy saying "I can't leave Bruno round here", and Angel saying, "Nobody's been round except Uncle Decoy" - just hilarious from top to bottom. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 19, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 19, 2023 Currently watching Adventure Time sequel series Fionna and Cake and it's really beautiful. Funny, sad, heartwarming and endlessly creative. It's such a joy to be back in this world and to see how it has changed and developed. Strangely, this series has a higher age rating than the original series so it's a bit jarring to see gore and the occasional swear word turn up in Adventure Time. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 19, 2023 Members Posted December 19, 2023 28 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: I think the Rivalry episode of People Just Do Nothing is my favourite yet. Steves looking after the baby, Chabuddy saying "I can't leave Bruno round here", and Angel saying, "Nobody's been round except Uncle Decoy" - just hilarious from top to bottom. I'm going to link this again as a) everyone should watch it as its wicked and b) I love the below comment from it so much. Quote
Keith Houchen Posted December 19, 2023 Posted December 19, 2023 I’m three episodes in on Three Pines. Alfred Molina is ace and it’s great to see Tantoo Cardinal. It is two parters for each case but with an underlying thread of native and aboriginal oppression. The whole thing looks beautiful but the sense of melancholy and dread hangs in the air. It sounds odd but the whole thing feels like my depression, a lack of joy even when surrounded by beauty. Saying that, really enjoying it thus far. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted December 22, 2023 Author Paid Members Posted December 22, 2023 Finished Hijack tonight. Really good series, this, and the last episode wasn't a damp squib. They can do another one of these and I don't care what stupid idea they come up with to make it happen. Also finished Tacoma FD but sounds like they're doing a fifth series so my Hassie Harrison fix will continue that's good news. I think this one was the best yet. Does no other cunt watch this or am I talking to myself. Nearly finished People Just Do Nothing. I think Steves is one of my favourite sitcom character of all time. The side-plot of him and the baby is the funniest thing in this whole show now, for me. I really need to see Lily Brazier in something else, however shit it might be. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 22, 2023 Members Posted December 22, 2023 2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: Nearly finished People Just Do Nothing. I think Steves is one of my favourite sitcom character of all time. The side-plot of him and the baby is the funniest thing in this whole show now, for me. I really need to see Lily Brazier in something else, however shit it might be. Well, there is the film Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 24, 2023 Posted December 24, 2023 After I'd finished new Frasier I started nosing around on Paramount + and realised I'd never watched Yellowjackets S2. Firstly - I forgot how much I love the show. The theme. The young/old cast. It's an incredible ensemble. The direction and the choice of songs. It's just such a fucking good show. Was it as good as the first season? Probably not. But I went into that not knowing what to expect and you just can't replicate that surprise element. But that's not to say it wasn't great in its own way. Tense, disgusting and really emotional in places. Plus Elijah Wood! Annoyed that I didn't realise it was only 9 episodes as I assumed it was 10 and then got really pissed off that there wasn't another one. But yeah still a really high quality piece of television and well worth anyone's time. Now the impatient wait for the third season. Quote
Merzbow Posted December 24, 2023 Posted December 24, 2023 There was a bit of hype for season two in here and just how mental it got in places, you can tell there was never meant to be a second season but they did so well fitting it all together despite that. Honestly, I think the chemistry between cast members did a whole lot of the work there. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted December 24, 2023 Posted December 24, 2023 Yeah I'd argue it's one of the best casts top to bottom I've ever watched in a show. They all pull their weight in their own ways. Kudos to whoever did the casting because they did a fucking top job there. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 25, 2023 Members Posted December 25, 2023 Ghosts A lovely little send off for one of the BBCs best. I adored watching all of them a few months back and glad it all got wrapped up in such a nice way. Also over the last week, randomly watched the first series of Marion & Geoff. What a fantastic performance from Rob Brydon that is. The garden party episode was top notch work, and showed just what a gifted actor he is. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.