• Paid Members

I know we have some Taskmaster fans here. After last night's Champion of Champions show the line up for the next series was announced. Joanne McNally, John Robins, Nick Mohammed, Sophie Willan and Steve Pemberton. 

There is the potential for all sorts of madness from that line up. John and Alex are friends and have a YouTube channel called Bad Golf which contains a lot of John swearing at himself and saying "Oh John" after bad shots. So there might be some Oh Johninng going on in the tasks. Most looking forward to Steve Pemberton though. Taskmaster might take a very dark turn. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I didn't watch Champion of Champions, as love of my life Mae Martin was unable to do it, but will give it a watch at some point.

Sooner rather than later Rashers. I will spoil nothing but there is both grade A lunacy and incompetence as you would expect. 

54 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I know we have some Taskmaster fans here. After last night's Champion of Champions show the line up for the next series was announced. Joanne McNally, John Robins, Nick Mohammed, Sophie Willan and Steve Pemberton. 

There is the potential for all sorts of madness from that line up. John and Alex are friends and have a YouTube channel called Bad Golf which contains a lot of John swearing at himself and saying "Oh John" after bad shots. So there might be some Oh Johninng going on in the tasks. Most looking forward to Steve Pemberton though. Taskmaster might take a very dark turn. 

The tasks would have been filmed not long after John went sober so I expect him to have at least one complete nervous breakdown during the show.

Finished up The Curse and while I did really enjoy it (of course I did, its Nathan Fielder) I did feel it was slightly too long at 10 episodes, and I'll be honest I didn't love the final episode that much, but I did like that they went there.

Emma Stone was brilliant, but I also thought Fielder was great and really nailed the role of Asher.

Although all I could think in the final episode as 

Spoiler

He flew off into space was "God I bet that feels good"

• Awards Moderator
23 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I didn't watch Champion of Champions, as love of my life Mae Martin was unable to do it, but will give it a watch at some point.

It may be Maeless but Kiell brings both unpredictability and a chip on his shoulder. It's a fantastic episode. 

Edited by Onyx2

Speaking of, to whoever brought up Slow Horses a while back, thanks! We have blitzed the first season in a week. Just a really fun show. Possibly the only show we actually watch the end credits as well, as the theme song is a cracker.

Apple TV surely has the best output of all the streamers these days. Well worth getting a few months subscription if you havent done so. They dont release a huge quantity of stuff, but nearly everything they do seems to be really good. Everything seems to be available in 4K for the standard price too, and I can definately see the quality diffference if Ive just watched something in HD on Netflix.

In the middle of Silo and Lessons in Chemistry, and am enjoying both alot too. Brie Larson is outstanding in Chemisty, and carries the whole show so well.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the Taskmaster CoC episode. Next series contestants should be good too, I just wish they didn't only 'choose' comedians from the big 2 agents. There are so many people who'd be amazing that will never get a look in.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Really enjoyed the Taskmaster CoC episode. Next series contestants should be good too, I just wish they didn't only 'choose' comedians from the big 2 agents. There are so many people who'd be amazing that will never get a look in.

I like that they at least tend to choose one or two people who don't have a ton of "big" TV exposure - I didn't know Mike Wozniak or Sam Campbell before they were on the show, and they turned out to be a couple of my favourite contestants - but it would be nice to see the net cast a little wider, but that's a TV issue (and perhaps a Channel 4 issue in particular) more than just a Taskmaster issue.

It first annoyed me when they did the Crystal Maze reboot with Richard Ayoade. I mentioned in the Gladiators thread that I don't really mind Bradley Walsh hosting, as it benefits from having an overly earnest light-ent type at the helm, when they could easily have gone with someone being really smug and meta about it, and it was Ayoade on Crystal Maze that made me think of that - someone who acts like the format is beneath them isn't the right choice for that kind of show. It particularly annoyed me because a good friend of mine played a "Mazemaster" when they first brought the Crystal Maze back as a live show, and I've subsequently found out two other people I know did that job too, and it was off the strength of those live shows that the remake was commissioned - but they wouldn't stretch as far as using it to give any of the people who worked on them their big break. 

• Paid Members

I love Mike Wozniak but he'd been in 4 series of a Channel 4 sitcom before Taskmaster. He hadn't been plucked from the circuit and given a break.

This might actually be my own distaste for the 'arts centre'/festival type comics they often pick. Just London centric, private school types pretending they're not massive Tories. 

Edited by Dead Mike

• Paid Members

What Mike was saying is true, they do tend to go for comics from the big 2 agencies, but Alex still has a lot of say as to who gets on. For example I know that Alex saw Mawaan Rizwan do a comedy set in a club having never seen him before but having seen him immediately wanted him on a series.

I agree with Redders about Kojey as well. He is obviously a big fan of Taskmaster and you could see how much fun he was having. 

Speaking of Taskmaster, its a shame that the New Years lot werent chosen for a full season, as they all seemed like they'd be a great. Deborah Meadon talking to a toaster was a classic. Ive never heard of Kojey Radical, but to have him only do one episode seems a travesty. Didnt think the last season of TM was up to much, and Julian Clary may be the most disappointing contestant ever, so hoping for good things from this one.

Someone on here years ago posted that they should widen the scope of guests, and I tend to agree. As the main format is starting to get a bit stale, they should mix it up one season and try a non comedian array of guests.

• Paid Members

It's odd isn't it Dai, most of the people I know who are big Taskmaster fans really loved the last series. The contempt that Julian has for Alex, the weirdness of Sam and Lucy, the amazing chemistry between the Sue's were all really big highlights of the whole series. When you think about it, neither Susan Wokoma or Sue Perkins are really stand ups. I know Perkins has done some in the past but she's really a presenter now, and Wokoma is an actor as she never tired of telling us (Damn you RADA)