Mr & Mrs Smith

Way better than I expected. Great chemistry between the two leads. Brilliantly acted and beautifully directed. 
Im glad Phoebe Waller-Bridge dropped out as Maya Erskine suits the role way better. 
Donald Glover should be in charge of every show. He’s the man. 

On 2/14/2024 at 6:39 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Mr & Mrs Smith

Way better than I expected. Great chemistry between the two leads. Brilliantly acted and beautifully directed. 
Im glad Phoebe Waller-Bridge dropped out as Maya Erskine suits the role way better. 
Donald Glover should be in charge of every show. He’s the man. 

I almost feel like they should have called it something else because the completely average film is doing the series no favors at all. Donald Glover is indeed the man. Don’t turn out to be a wrong’un Donald!

Masters of the Air is everything you’d expect it to be based on it’s predecessors. The action is absolutely gripping and visceral. Really pulls you in. Callum Turner is really great in it. Austin Butler needs to fuck off though being an even more handsome Nic Cage and an  even more handsome Brad Pitt and being a charismatic on screen presence. Stupid sexy Elvis. 

• Paid Members

I watched the first episode of Mr & Mrs Smith and found it insanely boring. I couldn't work out what they were going for at all with it. Does it pick up in later episodes or does it maintain the same pace/tone?

I'm enjoying Masters of the Air, although it's not as emotionally engaging or good as Band of Brothers or The Pacific and some of the CG stuff is pretty ropey. Turner is great in it. It's my first time seeing Austin Butler and he has proper old school movie star looks and screen presence which I haven't seen in Hollywood for what feels like forever. 

• Paid Members

Finished The Tourist, a complete mess at the end. Not sure I'll bother if they do a third series.

Started series 2 of Vigil, really good and solid start. Romola Garai, too, so I'll stick with it to the end even if it's crap. First series was really good though.

Finished the first series of It's ALWAYS Sunny, thought it was absolutely fine! Have to say that the first episide of the second series shows an immediate upturn in quality though, so I see the point already.

Usual praise for Hill Street Blues.

Timothy Olyphant just turned up in The Office as well so I'm happy.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I watched the first episode of Mr & Mrs Smith and found it insanely boring. I couldn't work out what they were going for at all with it. Does it pick up in later episodes or does it maintain the same pace/tone?

I'm enjoying Masters of the Air, although it's not as emotionally engaging or good as Band of Brothers or The Pacific and some of the CG stuff is pretty ropey. Turner is great in it. It's my first time seeing Austin Butler and he has proper old school movie star looks and screen presence which I haven't seen in Hollywood for what feels like forever. 

He's great in Elvis, one of my surprise hits of 2022 was that.

30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Finished The Tourist, a complete mess at the end. Not sure I'll bother if they do a third series.

Felt quite nicely wrapped up at the end there, storyline and character wise. Even if it was daft. Not sure they really need to do any more.

• Paid Members

Nice to see an old episode of Only Connect where a team with The Beast from The Chase gets an absolute stuffing. Mind you the other team were all Mastermind finalists at some point so not shabby at all. Vicky Coren as she was then looking delightful as always. 

20 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Nice to see an old episode of Only Connect where a team with The Beast from The Chase gets an absolute stuffing. Mind you the other team were all Mastermind finalists at some point so not shabby at all. Vicky Coren as she was then looking delightful as always. 

Back in the day before he started shagging his cousin.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:07 AM, LaGoosh said:

It's my first time seeing Austin Butler and he has proper old school movie star looks and screen presence which I haven't seen in Hollywood for what feels like forever. 

Yup, he's handling the Movie Star playbook amazingly well. He's definitely got 'it' and already worked and is lining up to work with some huge Directors.

On 2/19/2024 at 8:07 AM, LaGoosh said:

I'm on episode 3, I think it does pick up and become more interesting but I do find myself looking at my phone at times but they may just be my shit attention span. I also feel like Donald Glover is just looking for any old excuse to get his shirt off, constantly.

• Paid Members

Heartstopper - Series 2

My other half had a friend staying over at the weekend - last time he was around they binge-watched series one, so this time I was treated to all of series two. If you don't know, it's a high school LGBTQ+ drama, based on a graphic novel. It's all very sweet and low stakes, and does a good job of navigating awkward teenage queer romance without making it all about battling homophobia and stereotypes, which has been done to death elsewhere - there's plenty of that to it, and one of the things it does well is with the parent characters, some of whom are very supportive, some outwardly homophobic, some just naively oblivious, but there's enough believable variety there to provide a good backdrop.

The only thing is, practically every character in this show is queer. Obviously that's the point - you've got the gay kid dating a bisexual, gay couples, lesbian couples, the trans girl, the kid coming to terms with being asexual, multiple gay teachers, and it starts to get to a point where you wonder why these kids are worried about coming out at school when you're only ever one or two episodes away from the revelation that everyone else is gay too.

I think Heartstopper is one of the most important literary and TV works of modern times for young people. My 14yo is obsessed. 

It's incredible how well they've adapted it from the source material, and how faithful and original in its own right it is at the same time.

A wonderful show. 

Edit: @BomberPat I suppose the worry is always still there with the "wider" coming out isn't it? Obviously Charlie's mates are all accepting but its still a worry for them for that news to go past their inner circle. (I use Charlie as a name only, of course his character is "widely" out)

Edited by SuperBacon
Edited bit

• Paid Members

of course, I'm being very glib in that last point, and I'd rather the show be that way than the old days where the only way to get queer art made in the mainstream was so long as you never actually showed men kissing, and it had a tragic ending.

It's a series that couldn't possibly have existed when I was at school, and I'm glad it does now.