• Paid Members

If you get chance watch The Assembly from last night on BBC1. It's only half an hour but it's magical. A group of autistic and neurodivergent people asking Michael Sheen questions. Having seen it I firmly believe that anyone wanting to go on a chat show and hawk their upcoming film/book/show/tour should have to do the same. I won't spoil it by telling you any of the questions, and there are some real belters but I will say this. Michael Sheen does a better Scooby Doo impression than you'd think. 

On 6/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, SuperBacon said:

Watched Avoidance, Romesh Ranganathans new sitcom on the iplayer.

Watched the second series of this yesterday. 

Really easy watch, nothing groundbreaking, but it's nicely acted and written.

You will have to suspend disbelief as Jessica Knappett and Aisling Bea are both attracted to Romesh, but different strokes for different folks.

Great way to end it. I’ve probably never not enjoyed an episode of Curb. There were some really strong series around the middle of the run but I don’t think the show ever dipped below 8/10. My favourite moment is probably Larry killing it in The Producers and getting a rare win. Really missed Marty Funkhauser in those last few.

Watched the first episode of Fallout there. Might be one of the best fan service from source material adaptations in recent memory. It's an absolute riot. Looking forward to getting stuck into the rest. 

• Paid Members

Fallout (full season spoilers)

Spoiler

We binge watched all 8 episodes over the last couple of days and aside from a few things it was near enough perfect.

In terms of fan service and world building it gets everything right on the money. It looks, feels and sounds like Fallout. The cast for the most part are fantastic, with the tropes you expect from a Fallout game all transitioned brilliantly. The naìve vault dweller, the untrustworthy overseer, and the bizarre side characters. Every “main” character gets a backstory including Dog Meat so nobody feels crammed in for the sake of it. As you would expect Walton Goggins steals the show, and Kyle MacLachlan isn’t far behind. Ella Purnell is a brilliant lead as Lucy but in one of my two major flaws the writers do her dirty by forcing a romance subplot in when otherwise she’s a strong female lead with plenty to offer.

The other, and main, flaw with the show is the character of Maximus who for some reason has the worst writing and character in the show, almost like there was one really bad writer exclusively doing his guy. He’s meant to be a flawed Brotherhood of Steel rookie with little knowledge of the outside world but at one point he doesn’t know what his penis is and he constantly heel turns on everyone. Every episode has the same shot of him coming out of a fridge and that’s his backstory. I want to give the actor the benefit of the doubt that he just had bad material but he was a weak addition as one of the main roster especially compared to Lucy and The Ghoul.

A lot of great cameos show up too and really made the side characters feel special.

I won’t spoil any major happenings as there are plenty of great moments and twists and nods to the show.

Aside from an unneeded romance subplot and Maximus though it’s note perfect as far as what you would want from a Fallout show.

I’m about half way through Fallout and it’s tonally the most perfect adaptation from a game to tv/film there’s ever been. It manages to pay fan service whilst being appealing to a mainstream audience of non sweaty neckbeards. The Last of Us did a great job but that is a much more straightforward adaptation. Jonathan Nolan is forgiven for that last series of Westworld.

I've not looked up any of the reception it has been getting so I'm glad I've not just gone mad in my high opinion of it, because lord knows I don't watch a lot of TV. 

Minor punchline spoiler but episode 4's...

Spoiler

"Yeah, they definitely went bananas" line - with its absolute matter of fact deadpan delivery - fucking destroyed me. Also a big fan of I'M TRYNA EAT MAH BEANS.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, lars85 said:

Question to anyone who's watched all of Fallout. Are there deathclaws?

Spoiler

No. There's a skeleton of one but they don't introduce them this season. Plenty of other familiar creatures though.