DavidB6937 Posted November 30, 2023 Posted November 30, 2023 My dream since I was a kid has always been a full blown Narnia series from start to finish. The BBC only did a few. The movies ended up the same way. I'm really fucking hoping this time they commit to the whole damn thing. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted November 30, 2023 Paid Members Posted November 30, 2023 I don't want to see any Cosmo Jarvis slander in here. He's great in Calm With Horses and Lady Macbeth. Fantatic actor. @SuperBacon Good shout on The Corrections. Along the same lines, I'd love to see a star-studded HBO adaptation of Franzens Freedom. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 30, 2023 Posted November 30, 2023 The Illuminatus Trilogy, just because it would likely be impossible to truly adapt although I'd kill to see Noah Hawley give it a try. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted November 30, 2023 Members Posted November 30, 2023 29 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: I don't want to see any Cosmo Jarvis slander in here. He's great in Calm With Horses and Lady Macbeth. Fantatic actor. @SuperBacon Good shout on The Corrections. Along the same lines, I'd love to see a star-studded HBO adaptation of Franzens Freedom. Well ignore what I said as upon further reading it seems he DOES give up the rights, but then no one knows what to do with them. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 1, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 1, 2023 I'm two episodes into The Curse and loving it. The vibe of the show is so uniquely off in a way I think I haven't experienced before from a show. Every scene is just laden with absolute horror, embarrassment and dread even when seemingly nothing is happening. It's somehow tapped into very specific and common awful human personality traits and just lays them out there completely exposed. There's a scene where a guy is explaining to his date how the car crash he was in wasn't his fault even though he was over the alcohol limit and as the conversation goes on you realise that his wife fucking died in the accident and it was so uniquely hilarious and horrendous I couldn't believe it. After every episode I feel like I need a shower. Brilliantly acted and directed. Quote
Merzbow Posted December 1, 2023 Posted December 1, 2023 I think I need to give it a watch, it's been adored by critics and absolutely blasted by the general public in a way I've rarely seen. Plus the way you've described it is giving my vivid flashbacks to Jam. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted December 1, 2023 Members Posted December 1, 2023 As an unashamed Fielder fanboy I'm surprised I haven't watched it yet. Are all episodes available to binge? Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted December 1, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 1, 2023 (edited) 26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: As an unashamed Fielder fanboy I'm surprised I haven't watched it yet. Are all episodes available to binge? It's currently airing weekly. I can understand the general audience hating it. There's no release of tension or comfort in it at any point. It's quite unlike anything I can think of. Edited December 1, 2023 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members Jesse Posted December 1, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 1, 2023 I'm glad it's releasing weekly because watching the first two episodes back to back was genuinely tough, just cringeing through so much of it (in a really positive way) Quote
Mr_Danger Posted December 1, 2023 Posted December 1, 2023 I won’t spoil anything but to quote my girlfriend during the first episode “Why do you keep rewinding that bit?” Quote
Paid Members Bellenda Carlisle Posted December 9, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 9, 2023 On 12/1/2023 at 7:47 AM, LaGoosh said: I'm two episodes into The Curse and loving it. I love it, I'm so invested now. I'm a die hard Nathan Fielder and Emma Stone fan and I'd watch them do nothing for an hour which it almost is. It's so subtle with constant tension I find it really immersive, I'll be engrossed then find myself laughing out loud at these things that aren't even really jokes but just well done bits of awkward weirdness or dialogue. Emma Stone is so good in it, absolutely keeping up with Nathan and his vision, her underlying bitchiness under a layer of forced chilled out cool is so well portrayed. I'm also watching new Frasier which is fine but it really highlights the difference in styles when I watch Frasier cramming these old fashioned big sitcom jokes and wacky situations into 20 minutes, then afterwards watch this hour of subtle droning awkwardness that just makes me uneasy throughout and I still have no idea what it's leading up to. I do think being a Nathan Fielder fan going in probably helps because you know at what level his subversive deadpan comedy is and you're excited to "let him cook" and see what happens. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted December 9, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 9, 2023 I really enjoyed the new series of Interview With A Vampire, so when I saw Alexandra Daddario was the main role in a Mayfair Witches show I got very happy indeed. It's OK. Didn't blow me away, but also glad I gave it a chance Quote
Dai Posted December 9, 2023 Posted December 9, 2023 (edited) Over the last few weeks have watched the following documentaries; Escaping Twin Flames, The Enfield Poltergiest, The Greatest Show Never Made, the Robbie Williams one. All of them have one thing in common, and thats that they are just too bloody long. Ive read it from someone in here before, maybe BomberPat, about Netflix spreading a good 2 hour documentary into 4, hour long episodes. All of these have that problem. The Robbie one was decent, but the second episode, which pretty much just literally showed really boring holiday footage of when he went away with Geri, is a classic example of them clearly padding the show out. Twin Flames was the exact same, just repeating the same story over and over again with different people. The Greatest Show Never Made spent the first 20 minutes doing an in depth introduction of these nobodies, which wasnt needed at all. I have also finished Friday Night Dinner, which still holds up really well. Great performances all round, especially from Paul Ritter. Have also really enjoyed Motherland too. Diane Morgan completley steals the show in the first season. Shes fantastic. Edited December 9, 2023 by Dai Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted December 12, 2023 Paid Members Posted December 12, 2023 Just rinsed The Bear in 2 days. Loved it. I avoided it initially as so many film/books/tv shows about cooking always go down the "hmmm, you know isn't cooking just a little bit like life? hmmmm?" but this pretty much avoids that cliché entirely. The ridiculous tense scenes reminded me a lot of Safdie brothers films, incredible use of sound. I really liked all the cast, Ayo Edebiri is a long term fave, but the other main feller was superb. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted December 12, 2023 Moderators Posted December 12, 2023 I thought she was great in that but can't recall having seen her in much else. What else is she good in? Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.