• Paid Members
7 hours ago, gmoney said:

The Rehearsal 

I'd be interested in knowing how much of this was legit, but I suspect that the magic trick is part of what made it so fascinating.

Spoiler

I saw it when it first came out so forgive me if I got something wrong but I remember a part where the lady said her favourite film was Apocalypto and for reasons I don't remember it was a really funny ironic answer. I remember thinking I just didn't believe that would be her favourite film and I thought I was being worked.

6 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:
  Hide contents

I saw it when it first came out so forgive me if I got something wrong but I remember a part where the lady said her favourite film was Apocalypto and for reasons I don't remember it was a really funny ironic answer. I remember thinking I just didn't believe that would be her favourite film and I thought I was being worked.

Look, this could me being worked brother shoot brother brother, but there is NO way she was an actress. 

She was way too much of a nutter, and that answer makes perfect sense. 

She was genuinely unsettling and came out with some fucked up shit.

Thought this might interest a few of you.

The New York Times has developed their own version of the wall, and its quite fun.

https://www.nytimes.com/games/connections

The comments under the original tweet prove again that Only Connect viewers are insufferable dweebs, and yes I include myself in that.

They're telling Victoria Coren Mitchell to sue the Times? Plebs.

I originally posted this in the Only Connect thread which I didn't realise was in On Topic.

• Paid Members
On 6/7/2023 at 7:18 AM, Mr_Danger said:

I enjoyed the ending of Barry and liked how they wrapped it up but that entire last season felt a bit tacked on for me. It still had everything I love about the show and all the characters stepped up their acting game (Stephen Root was really great) but for me it would have had a great ending at series 3.  The whole Sally thing just felt a bit too weird and unreal. Whatever the Barry code is it starts at 3. That fucking chase.

See, I could not disagree more. I was really unsure about Season 4 at first, because it really did feel like Season 3 was the right ending. But holy shit, Season 4 is spectacular, and it's what moved it into being a genuine work of art for me.

The way it concentrated on ideas of good, evil, redemption and forgiveness, while becoming more and more unsettling and dark - then pivoting to laugh-out-loud funny and then to something else altogether was remarkable. I've never seen a series stick the landing as well as this one did. And it's partly in what it didn't do. Phenomenal stuff.

Very disappointed with the new episodes of Black Mirror. It’s continued the decline that started last season, with a real tonal shift in some episodes that verge on Marvel-like as far as the dialogue goes. The use of Salma Hayek in the first episode felt like stooge casting, almost Simpsons-like, or Extras-like if I’m being more generous. There was the a good idea in that episode, but the tone would have had to be very different to work for me. It gets so meta at times that it might as well be a CM Punk promo. 

37 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I watched the first episode and tapped out right after, they deliberately opened with a "lol tech bad" episode as that's probably what a lot like but I hate that shit especially when it's so horribly quirky.

See, I did think that as well, especially after the main plot point was basically 

Spoiler

The same as the South Park Human CentiPad episode "You should've read the Ts and Cs!!!"

But it was actually quite funny and also Annie Murphy 

Spoiler

Dressed as a cheerleader with a willy on her forehead and taking a massive dump in the church. Still would lads.

Second episode was quite fun and done well I thought, the third dragged a bit and it was quite obvious what was going to happen fairly early on, although it still managed to slightly surprise me.

I can take or leave Black Mirror but it's an OK late night watch that really doesn't matter too much. Brooker is best when he's being funny.

Streamberry makes me cringe every time though.