Hotel is my least favourite season of the lot so hopefully 

49 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Finished the fifth American Horror Story. It continues to fascinate and frustrate. In this season (Hotel) the scenes and stories with Iris and Liz Taylor were top notch, probably down to the acting. But the whole vampire story was a massive distraction, and Lady Gaga was abysmal. 

It seems to be the formula for the last few seasons, one half is great, the other really isn’t. 

Hotel is my least favourite season of the lot so hopefully it's uphill from there, but AHS has a terrible habit (especially in later seasons) of pretty much wrapping the interesting parts of the story up about 2 episodes from the end and having to slog along for another couple of hours that it could have done without. 

• Paid Members

Got caught up with Inside Number 9. I think there's one episode left of series 8. I enjoyed the Friday the 13th episode, and the episode with Lee Mack in it.

• Paid Members

I've been dipping in and out of Inside Number 9 - rewatched The Riddle Of The Sphinx, which is one of my favourites, recently - and I loved the Lee Mack episode. It's one of those episodes that's let down on streaming, though, as you miss the continuity announcer telling you that it's not an episode Inside Number 9, and all the metatextual fun that comes with it. Watching it just thinking it was genuinely a naff quiz show might have been more enjoyable, but it was good fun all the same.

It was the same thing with the live episode; watching it on iPlayer, you don't really buy into all the "technical difficulties" stuff the way you would have done when it aired live (though my brother admitted they still got him with that stuff, so perhaps not).

10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I've been dipping in and out of Inside Number 9 - rewatched The Riddle Of The Sphinx, which is one of my favourites, recently - and I loved the Lee Mack episode. It's one of those episodes that's let down on streaming, though, as you miss the continuity announcer telling you that it's not an episode Inside Number 9, and all the metatextual fun that comes with it. Watching it just thinking it was genuinely a naff quiz show might have been more enjoyable, but it was good fun all the same.

It was the same thing with the live episode; watching it on iPlayer, you don't really buy into all the "technical difficulties" stuff the way you would have done when it aired live (though my brother admitted they still got him with that stuff, so perhaps not).

I like how the episode that was “supposed” to have been on was an On The Buses style 70s pastiche set in a number nine bus. It’s a premise Reece Sheersmith said they’d never do because he’s sick to death of people coming up to him and saying they should do one on a number nine bus, like they’re the first person to ever think of it. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I like how the episode that was “supposed” to have been on was an On The Buses style 70s pastiche set in a number nine bus. It’s a premise Reece Sheersmith said they’d never do because he’s sick to death of people coming up to him and saying they should do one on a number nine bus, like they’re the first person to ever think of it. 

I was genuinely looking forward to the On the Buses style pastiche as well, they even did publicity shots with Robin Askwith! The quiz ep was really fun though. 

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Save some for Barry. It's been a tremendous season and the latest episode was absolutely hilarious. 

Considering how intense the show has been, I wasn't expecting it to be as funny an episode. Gene being absolutely peak Gene was amazing.

Especially considering how short a show it's been, it's astonishing how much they've packed into it. If they stick the landing, it's going to end up on a level with shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, in less than half the time.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Considering how intense the show has been, I wasn't expecting it to be as funny an episode.

Amazing how it starts with something horrifying and then became brilliantly funny. Hader deserves all the credit in the world for nailing the tone as well. It never feels out of place. You can see the Coen brothers influence.

Succession and Barry ending on the same night. We didn't realise how lucky we were.

Edited by Factotum

Sam Levinson's new show The Idol is getting absolutely battered right now, I quite liked Euphoria as it had some moments of brilliance amongst the laughable attempts at being "edgy" but this seems to push the latter and only the latter by what reviews are saying.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:09 PM, Merzbow said:

Yellowjackets continues to be the darkest thing on TV, the actresses playing young Shauna and Callie have been especially great recently.

I’ve binge watched all episodes over the last week. It’s one of the most addictive series I’ve watched in ages and I’m now itching for the last couple of episodes.

Some of the scenes are just brutal but there’s a comedic vibe as well. And the similarities between the young actors and their older counterparts is great. The actress who plays Natalie has got Juliette Lewis’ drawl down to a tea.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:12 PM, Merzbow said:

Melanie Lynskey is getting all the best actress awards though.

She’s brilliant in this, such a great actress. I find her strangely alluring too. There’s definitely something about her.

I can’t wait to see where this goes. Still don’t know where the opening scenes from ep1 are going to fit in.

18 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Sam Levinson's new show The Idol is getting absolutely battered right now, I quite liked Euphoria as it had some moments of brilliance amongst the laughable attempts at being "edgy" but this seems to push the latter and only the latter by what reviews are saying.

There seems to be a real backlash against him. I don't know much, I went out with a girl for a bit who liked Euphoria and I just saw it as SKINS with glitter.