WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I've been slowly working through the trophies on Far Cry 6 recently. I'm now on to the Vaas Insanity dlc which is pretty good fun

Last night I had finished one of the quests and was stood on a cliff edge listening to some dialogue. I was just passing time and ran to the edge of the cliff, pretending I was going to run off it but jumped back at the last minute. Couldn't believe it when Vaas (who i'm controlling) sarcastically said "Good one" as I jumped back! I love that the developers put such a unique thing in the game

• Paid Members

I picked up RoboCop rouge city. Plays ok on steam deck, looks a bit iffy in cut scenes now and then but I don't care about that.

It's fun and captures the feel perfectly but I can see me getting board before the end unless they open up new mechanics.

I also got Hades, which I've been really enjoying. Again I'm not going to be a 100% on it but I can see me going back for bursts for ages.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

Helldivers 2. An amazing shooter which requires teamwork. If I could have made a video game, this is it. Guns, aliens, robots, upgrades, dropping shit from the sky....

Glorious. 

Ridiculous fun. Just the idea of being to drop in more or less seamlessly with random people, it's just brilliant fun. 

WWE2k23

Got it on the cheap now the new one is out. Haven't bought one in a good 4-5 years so thought I'd give it a chance.

Actually pleasantly surprised. General presentation is really good. A few ridiculous glitches still but doesn't feel nearly as much of a slog as some previous games and doesn't look terrible either. Well apart from the faces and teeth freaking me out on cut scenes.

Helps that I've got it on my Steamdeck so I can just dip in and out whenever. Just working through My Rise at the moment but yeah definitely the most solid all round WWE game I've played in ages. I'll definitely pick the next one up once that goes cheap too.

After watching a review, I think my next big game is going to be Dragon’s Dogma II. It seems to have a fair amount in common with Elden Ring in that it doesn’t hold your hand like other action RPGs and expects you to find your own way forward. 

I'd definitely pick up the first game, it still holds up well and is one of the best takes on Western fantasy even though it's from Capcom. Plus one of the premade body types is literally Guts from Berserk.

Since I got my Xbox Series X last year, I decided I would just focus on a single game until completion (with the occasional session on Football Manager console, of course).

After completing Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 (remaster) and Resident Evil 1 remastered since the start of the year, I decided to play something a little ‘lighter’.

My choice? Crash Bandicoot 1 from the N Sane Trilogy.

Honestly, I do not remember this game being so annoying? The jumps and hit boxes are awful - I’ll be amazed if I manage to complete this.

59 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

Honestly, I do not remember this game being so annoying? The jumps and hit boxes are awful - I’ll be amazed if I manage to complete this.

The hitboxes were changed for the N. Sane Trilogy, so if it's the original you're harkening back to I totally understand your frustration. That said, Crash 1 was always much less forgiving than its sequels in its level design. Just wait 'til you get to Stormy Ascent!

A little tip I saw around the time it was released was to think of each ledge/platform as if it's got slightly curved edges - if you land half on the edge, you'll slip off instead of staying on. Sounds weird, but it worked for me when judging jumps. Far better than using my shadow anyway.

13 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

As @Daaaaaad! says, they made the hitboxes/physics consistent across all three games, and for me that makes CB1 much more difficult. I couldn't complete the first game in the trilogy, but I was able to 100% 2 and 3. 

Still, the remake of CB1 is much easier than Crash Bandicoot 4, which is so difficult that it stripped the fun out of the game for me. They seemed to think that difficulty is what made the original games beloved; or that extreme difficulty was what needed to make this game beloved. I massively disagree with that, it's one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. 

• Paid Members

I completed the Crash N-Sane Trilogy last year, much to my own surprise, because I'm generally crap at platformers. There are some incredibly frustrating levels across the three games, but they are just about fun enough to keep you wanting to try. They're just the right side of the 'one more go' vs 'fuck this' balance.

• Paid Members

I managed to 100% all 3 games on the N-Sane Trilogy but gave up about 2 hours into Crash 4. It got incredibly hard very early - there wasn't a difficulty curve, more a difficulty mountain. And it just didn't have the 'one more go' factor of the original 3.