WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

So far, I’m finding Final Fantasy Rebirth to be a big improvement on the first part. I can see this being another Elden Ring type affair, where I want to do and see and collect every thing in the game. Some potential spoilers down below. Not story related, just a few gameplay thoughts. Read at your peril.

Spoiler

World map! Thank god. This was one thing I greatly missed in Remake. Obviously since you never left Midgar you wouldn’t be venturing out into the great big yonder, but having these huge plains to explore is a lot of fun. Seeing your entire party running around with you, not just the ones in your active party is really cool. 

There’s a nice variety of things to do in the regions (I’m only on the second region thus far) and I like the transmuting aspect which actually gives a purpose to collecting all the scrap items. 

Chadley’s back. Prick. 

Oh great, a card game. I’ve never enjoyed a single card mini-game in any video game. This included. The games I’ve won here are by accident and not by me actually understanding what I’m doing. 

Chocobo digging reminds me of FF9, love it.

Music is great, locations so far are varied and I keep doing the Leo DiCaprio pointing at the screen whenever I see something from the original game. All in all, fantastic game. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

So far, I’m finding Final Fantasy Rebirth to be a big improvement on the first part.

I’m loving it, but I actually do like Queen’s Blood. I generally hate card games, but the Final Fantasy ones (and Gwent, which this is very similar to) have always hooked me in. Im definitely up for a thread on this one so those of us who’ve played it can discuss with spoilers once we’re done! 

It'll probably be months before I get to it, but it really does look like they've done it. Taken the maddeningly expanded, attention-to-detail attitude of the original Remake and done the far more impressive job of taking it out of what was always somewhat of a constricted set of areas/biomes and into the much more varied and vast open world of disc 1. 

3 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Okay first annoyance. 

Reveal hidden contents

Stealth missions can fuck off. 

To add a further annoyance.

Spoiler

Fort Condor mini-game. I hated it in the original, I hated it in Intermission, I hate it here. Aside from the joy of seeing polygonal Cloud and company, it’s a ballache. 

The piano game however? Delightful. I may be terrible at it currently until I figure out the timing, but it’s a lovely little addition.

As it’s been a very long time since I played the original, I’ve forgotten quite a few of the story beats and the where and when certain locations appear. I avoided all of the trailers so I’d be surprised. I’m expecting Cosmo Canyon, Gold Saucer and the sea resort (Costa Del something?) based on my fading memory, but then they may have shown up much later in the game. I’m enjoying the mystery of not knowing where I’m going to end up next. 

Just got to Chapter 7 and earlier on I was thinking nothing tops remake but I’m thinking very differently now, every cut scene or dialogue that takes place has me grinning constantly, hopefully we can discuss it in a separate thread in a few weeks/months time when everyone finishes it!

I’ve got Monday and Tuesday off so I’ll be playing a huge amount(or maybe even finishing it) in that time.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:43 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

Just got to Chapter 7 and earlier on I was thinking nothing tops remake but I’m thinking very differently now, every cut scene or dialogue that takes place has me grinning constantly, hopefully we can discuss it in a separate thread in a few weeks/months time when everyone finishes it!

I'm on chapter 8, and I'm definitely starting to think that the apparently bold move of not doing a direct retelling was a mistake. We'll see where it goes, though. This isn't based on anything new that has happened; it's based on the fact that the retelling of the original story is going so well that any change of direction would feel unnecessary. Again though, we'll see what they do. 

On 3/3/2024 at 8:43 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

I’ve got Monday and Tuesday off so I’ll be playing a huge amount(or maybe even finishing it) in that time.

Update!  Only on Chapter 9 after about 20 odd hours of gameplay, the regions have so much to do.

30 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Update!  Only on Chapter 9 after about 20 odd hours of gameplay, the regions have so much to do.

I’m very much looking forward to a spoiler thread, but equally, I’m doing my best not to rush through it!! I’m enjoying it too much. 

Chapter 7 for me. Can’t get enough of it. I’m finishing each region as I go before progressing with the story. 

Spoiler

More horrible mini games. Stomach crunches! Bollocks. Back on the Junon ship, I chose to forfeit the Queen’s Blood tournament, such is my powerful hatred of the game. I did like Red playing football though. 

Someone has just mentioned “Weapon” and I had a mini heart attack. Can’t wait to be annihilated by it.

• Paid Members

I am dangerously close to biting the bullet and buying a PS5 so I can play the new Final Fantasy 7 thing.

Just keep telling myself that I need to get through my current backlog first, but given that most of that backlog is on PS4 and can presumably just be transferred across to PS5, it's not a compelling argument.