WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

If I told myself I'd get through my backlog of stuff first, I'd never buy anything new ever again.

I actually did that as a money saving project, took me about 18 months to get through everything but I saved a boat load of money and it's made my spending habits much better now I only buy a game if I'm planning to play it in the next month or two.

Doesn't do anything to cure feeling like I'm missing out by not playing all the latest releases but does mean I buy most things when they're on sale or at reduced price since I'm 6-12 months behind on new releases.

Every month I think "Might buy a PS5 and just sub to the Plus thing and play all the games on there" and every month I realise I wouldn't play it ever and the kids would only play it when they're over, and they have a PS4 at their own house 20 seconds away.

But maybe this month will be different*

*it won't be.

43 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I actually did that as a money saving project, took me about 18 months to get through everything but I saved a boat load of money and it's made my spending habits much better now I only buy a game if I'm planning to play it in the next month or two.

Doesn't do anything to cure feeling like I'm missing out by not playing all the latest releases but does mean I buy most things when they're on sale or at reduced price since I'm 6-12 months behind on new releases.

Yeah, makes absolute sense to me. And yet I'll never do it. Same with books. I am weak.

26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Every month I think "Might buy a PS5 and just sub to the Plus thing and play all the games on there" and every month I realise I wouldn't play it ever and the kids would only play it when they're over, and they have a PS4 at their own house 20 seconds away.

But maybe this month will be different*

*it won't be.

And I do this with PS and Xbox. And I always think I've got the time and I don't.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah, makes absolute sense to me. And yet I'll never do it. Same with books. I am weak.

I almost impulse bought a PS5 in January so I could play FF7R on launch instead of waiting for the PC port so I'm not immune to it. If my wife hadn't become unemployed that month I'm not confident I'd have avoided it.

41 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Saw a meme the other day that described the difference between a bookworm and a bookdragon. The former reads books like their life depends on it whereas the latter hoards them for late like it’s treasure. I’m deffo a bookdragon! 

Yeah, 100% a bookdragon.

Sorry, this is now off topic but I would say I have around 30 books unread, and I'll continue to buy new ones as that pile increases. This includes books that I was really excited to read as well, and purchased for that reason (you purchase each book to read Bacon you weirdo), but then haven't read them. 

I'll do things like this out of habit as well with magazines. I probably buy a Private Eye a month and maybe read one every two months, but will still purchase new ones, almost knowing full well I probably won't read it. 

• Paid Members

don't get me started on book backlogs. Aside from the usual buying stuff constantly on a whim, I tend to fall down research rabbit holes and micro-obsessions, and then hardly ever getting around to reading any of them. I've got about seven different books on the Cambridge Spies and three different biographies of Leonora Carrington sitting on my bookcase unread.

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

don't get me started on book backlogs. Aside from the usual buying stuff constantly on a whim, I tend to fall down research rabbit holes and micro-obsessions, and then hardly ever getting around to reading any of them. I've got about seven different books on the Cambridge Spies and three different biographies of Leonora Carrington sitting on my bookcase unread.

Ha. Thats me with Vegas/Mafia books. I went deep on that and bought like 10 after our honeymoon. Don't think I've read any yet. That was a decade ago.

This came out of nowhere, some of the best and jankiest Eurojank ever made, I'd expect a million bugs but they're worth playing.

Edit: Playstation, too. They messed up the PS4 price and had the trilogy up at £15.99.

Edited by Merzbow

On 2/29/2024 at 11:12 AM, Keith Houchen said:

New Warhammer DLC for Powerwash Simulator. Only time I’ll play anything Warhammer related because I’m so cool I play a powerwash simulator game. 

Not really feeling this. It’s certainly the worst DLC they’ve done. Just feels like the joy isn’t there like the others. It’s nothing to do with unfamiliarity, I’ve never watched Sponge Bob but enjoyed that DLC. 

Expeditions: A MudRunner Game

Well what the fuck happened here then? They took out the best thing about the previous games, being able to traverse the entire maps however you like, very slowly getting further in and hauling better cargo with bigger, badder trucks and replaced all that with pre-made missions that just send you back to a menu after completion. You can unlock the whole map at points but there's nothing really to do in them.

It feels like they made this for a more mainstream audience but didn't take the time to advertise it that way, the only people buying it are fans of the previous games.
Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Merzbow said:
Expeditions: A MudRunner Game

Well what the fuck happened here then? They took out the best thing about the previous games, being able to traverse the entire maps however you like, very slowly getting further in and hauling better cargo with bigger, badder trucks and replaced all that with pre-made missions that just send you back to a menu after completion. You can unlock the whole map at points but there's nothing really to do in them.

It feels like they made this for a more mainstream audience but didn't take the time to advertise it that way, the only people buying it are fans of the previous games.

That's disappointing, I've been jonesing for some MudRunner recently but not sure how I feel about having to start over now I have to buy the game again so Expeditions seemed like it might be a great re-jumping on point.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Spent just over an hour on Balatro after hearing nothing but good things, but sadly I think it's confirmed for me I'm 100% over the rogue-like and deck building genres both singularly and combined. There's nothing wrong with it and if anything it was pretty easy, I reached Run 6 without much effort. Just the gameplay loop, same as I found with Inscryption, is just boring.

It's the first game I've refunded through Steam in my entire time on the platform, which isn't a slight on the game as I know it's well made for what it is, but it's just £12 is a lot of money for something I feel I saw everything it had to offer in an hour's time and know I won't go back to.

Edited by FLips