WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

The point where I fell in love with the open world was when I found a KKK meeting in the middle of the woods.. then shot them all dead.

There's one where they accidentally set themselves on fire burning a cross too, which is nice.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

There's one where they accidentally set themselves on fire burning a cross too, which is nice.

I may be misremembering, but I think that if you leave any of the KKK meetings long enough without killing everyone, they all end in them accidentally killing themselves through their own stupidity. 

• Paid Members

I wish people would stop trying to steal my horse. I’m leaving a lot of bodies in my wake.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, FLips said:

I wish people would stop trying to steal my horse. I’m leaving a lot of bodies in my wake.

This should only be happening if you've gone out of your way to acquire a really good horse already. Throughout the whole of the main story I pretty much only kept the horses the storyline gives you, it was only at the end that I started to explore all the different breeds in the game.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

This should only be happening if you've gone out of your way to acquire a really good horse already. Throughout the whole of the main story I pretty much only kept the horses the storyline gives you, it was only at the end that I started to explore all the different breeds in the game.

I did the mission where you sell a horse to buy a horse and I bought the cheapest one there. Admittedly I have dolled her up a bit with a fancy saddle and everything though.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, FLips said:

I did the mission where you sell a horse to buy a horse and I bought the cheapest one there. Admittedly I have dolled her up a bit with a fancy saddle and everything though.

Perhaps you have just had back luck with the random encounters then! Or maybe my horse was just dogshit! 😅

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Perhaps you have just had back luck with the random encounters then! Or maybe my horse was just dogshit! 😅

To be fair I’ve only had two horse theft encounters. One where a gang ambushed me on a bridge and another where some guy was pretending he needed help then jacked me off the horse before I promptly shot him in the back of the head.

• Paid Members

I think I only had one horse the entire game which is the proper way to do it. Acquire other horses if you wish but it's important to have one special guy with you throughout the main story like a real cowboy should.

• Paid Members

I got RDR2 when it came out, played through the opening few hours which seemed like it lasted forever, got to camp, got excited that I could now do stuff, got overwhelmed and then stopped playing.

Reading all the posts above make me want to go back and experience all that good stuff.

My main problem with games like this is an odd anxiety that I get whereby I think I’m somehow playing it wrong, or doing the wrong stuff or not following the game where I should be following. If I could get over that and just enjoy my time in the game, I’m sure I’d get much more from it.

It’s odd, actually, as I had no such anxiety with BoTW when being presented with a seemingly endless world to explore and it remains my favourite ever game.

I should also add that I get bored quite easily, which may explain why the opening of the game frustrated me somewhat.

• Moderators

Going to pick up Street Fighter 6 this weekend as I have arranged to catch up with a friend over a game online and we thought we'd treat ourselves to this instead of playing 5 as it's very affordable on cdkeys.

Will happily welcome any thoughts or advice - @Jazzy G or @JLM I suspect may have some input! 

Also I see that Hades 2 is in early release. I really want to hold out to play it when it's properly finished, but I'm sorely tempted.

55 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fallout 4 (PS5) 

Got the recent upgrade and game crashed within the first 2 hours. 

Never change Bethesda. 

I’ve gone back to it again too. I’ve always been more of an Elder Scrolls guy, but this is the first time I’ve really thrown myself into it and enjoyed it. I haven’t noticed a huge difference with the upgrade, but I’m properly addicted at the moment. I’m aiming to 100% it, if such a thing is possible. Favourite companions are Strong, Hancock and Cait. Paladin Danse and Preston Garvey don’t know it yet, but I will absolutely be betraying them when the time comes. 

• Paid Members

I'm definitely getting Hades 2 over the weekend. First one was a masterpiece and I love an early access game. They can be a bit of a risk, but when it goes right (and it has for me with Ember Knights, Slay the Spire, Super Auto Pets, Punch Planet, Them's Fightin' Herds, though the latter sadly got screwed over by its publisher AFTER full release)) they feel like gifts that keep on giving. Big chunky free updates to a game I'm already enjoying every so often, nerding out over the patch notes, the whole thing.  By all accounts Hades 2 is much further along than most early access games too. I'm sure there will be bugs and issues, but it doesn't look to be full of placeholder assets/dialogue etc. It looks like most of the game is there and they're using it to tweak and refine. 

Streetfighter 6 is a frustrating one for me. As a fighting game package it is the best main series Streetfighter release. Content, netcode, functionality, the insanely in-depth training mode suite, it has it all. By the end of its life I thought SF5 landed in a decent spot in terms of features/content etc. but SF6 still smokes it straight out of the box.

I have played a ton of it,  got a few characters to Master Rank, been to tournaments, all the usual stuff I do with fighting games. However, similar to SF5 (even by the end when I enjoyed it) I find SF6 to be infinitely more fun to watch played at high level than I find it to play at intermediate level. At high level it's glorious, at beginner level it's tonnes of fun, more accessible than SF4 and SF5, at intermediate level it is a deeply frustrating mental stack nightmare and it stresses me out if I play it for too long. As a result, my fighting game time at the moment is spent on USF4, Them's Fightin' Herds and Punch Planet. 

SF6 is getting its first major balance patch/season 2 update on the 22nd of May, so I'm hoping for a few tweaks to reignite my interest in playing it competitively. 

Not wanting to be a downer though, if you're buying it to play casually with a friend it's a blast. It looks fantastic, the returning characters have all been given new sauce or been reinvented completely, the new characters are cool (though the army of JP haters worldwide might disagree). It also has a modern controls option, so there's the option to do specials/supers without using the full inputs, which can be off-putting for people who don't play fighting games obsessively. You lose a bit of damage output and a few of your character's normal attacks s as a trade off, but again when playing casually it's unlikely to bother you. 

The central system the whole game revolves around is the drive gauge. You still have your super meter, which can build up to three stocks, and every character has a level 1, 2 and 3 super, but the super meter isn't used for any other secondary functions like it was in SF3/SF4/SF5. 

Instead you have the drive gauge. It starts off full at the start of every round. You lose it by blocking attacks, spending it and via a few other mechanics. You gain it over time, and it comes back faster if you're moving forwards. 

You use this to do:

OD special moves (enhanced versions of special moves, formerly EX moves that used super meter, now they use drive meter.)

Parry - Press medium punch + medium kick to absorb attacks. You can hold this down to keep absorbing multiple attacks but it drains the drive meter the whole time. If you parry an attack perfectly (just as it hits you) you get the drive gauge spent back. Perfect parry also allows you to attack immediately after parrying, so you can parry an attack and then attack while the opponent is still recovering. 

Drive rush - Press and hold parry, then dash forwards. This is a very fast movement option and you can attack whilst doing it. Normal attacks performed during this rush gain enhanced properties and allow for combos which wouldn't work otherwise, amongst a number of other benefits. 

Drive rush cancel - During a normal attack, press both mediums. This is similar to focus attack dash cancel (FADC) from SF4. You cancel the move you were performing into the drive rush dash, then can follow up. Similar to FADC this can be used for all sorts of things. 

Drive impact - Both heavy attacks together. This attack has multiple hits of armour on it to blow through the opponent's attacks. It also knocks the opponent back if they block it. If it absorbs an attack from the opponent and *then* hits them, it crumples them, allowing you to follow up. If they block it and get knocked back and they hit the wall (so if they're in the corner) they splat against the wall and you can follow up. 

The main way to stop this is to perform your own drive impact in response. It's almost like a little quick time event .They do theirs, it has a big over the top animation with loads of effects on screen etc. and you have to react and respond with your own as quickly as you can.  Looking for and reacting to drive impact is one of the first things you should learn playing SF6 at any level. If your opponent knows it exists you need to be ready to stop it. You can also parry it, blow through it with certain invincible moves, or moves that hit it three times very very quickly as it only absorbs two attacks. But yeah, looking for it and being able to do it back as quickly as possible is important. 

Drive reversal - Whilst blocking, press towards the opponent and both heavy attacks. Defensive tool to knock the opponent away if they're applying pressure and you don't want to block. 

So the drive gauge allows you to do basically all of the system mechanics in the game. However, the downside is if you run out, things get very very very very bad for you.. All of the above actions cost drive gauge, getting punished by the opponent for whiffing/them blocking your attacks takes away drive gauge, blocking the opponent's attacks takes away drive gauge. 

If you run out, you enter a Burnout state. The downsides are: 

- During this time you cannot do any of the things above. You lose access to everything. This means:

- You cannot respond to drive impact with your own drive impact or with parry. This is very bad. As mentioned above, blocking drive impact in the corner leads to a wall splat, and if your drive gauge is locked out due to burnout, it is very difficult to stop this. Also, if you get wall splatted whilst in burn out, you don't just splat the wall, you get stunned. It's not like a stun in other fighting games where you can mash buttons to get out of it either, it's a reaaaaally long stun allowing the opponent to follow up with anything they want. 

- Anything  you block puts you in longer block stun than normal, so the opponent's pressure is worse,  they can spam certain moves which would normally be bad for them if you blocked etc.  Also you take chip damage (losing small bits of health for blocking specials/supers, which was standard in previous SF games but SF6 doesn't have). You can die from chip damage also, so being burnt out on very low health is awful. 

I have issues with some of the drive mechanics and would like some of them to be adjusted, but overall I think it's a really fun bit of game design. Rather than having to build meter during the match and then decide how to spend it (which you still do with super meter in this game), the drive gauge does the opposite. You start off fully loaded and then you can decide how to manage it, but there's a big old penalty if you spooge the whole lot. You can blow it all at once and hope you survive the burn out phase, you can spend it in bits, you can try to attack the opponent's drive gauge by making them block loads of stuff, you can spend it on rushing down like a lunatic, you can spend a chunk of it and then play conservatively for a bit while it refills, lots of possibilities. 

That is an insanely long post already so I'll stop, but once you have the game please hit me with any questions!