WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

18 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

The other game I'm playing is Two Point Campus. A shop near me had the deluxe edition with DLC and whatnot for PS4 going cheap, and I loved Two Point Hospital, so I picked it up even though when I played it previously I struggled to get on with it

My girlfriend felt exactly the same. She loved Hospital but this didn’t click at all and was very disappointed. I can only draw the conclusion that a lack of Sir Nigel Bicklesworth added to the misery. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

My girlfriend felt exactly the same. She loved Hospital but this didn’t click at all and was very disappointed. I can only draw the conclusion that a lack of Sir Nigel Bicklesworth added to the misery. 

There is some Nigel Bicklesworth presence, I think. I just don't think universities work as well as hospitals for this kind of game; there's (at least early on) less variety, and some of the gameplay mechanics feel a bit crowbarred in (having janitors upgrade a lectern, or Research and Training Rooms having big machines in them just to keep with that upgrade mechanic), and whereas the Hospital game allows for a lot of control and urgency around things like queue times, how long a patient is waiting around for, and literal life or death scenarios, you can effectively just leave Campus running and a lot of the basics take care of themselves. It probably doesn't help that Hospital was building on the framework of, and nostalgia for, Theme Hospital, whereas this was a newer concept.

1 hour ago, Donald J Trump said:

Is the game finished? This caught my eye but it said "Game Preview" when I went to download it. You possibly might not be able to tell whether it's 100% the finished article, but does it feel more or less a complete experience? 

Stardew Valley (after many years) has run it course and the follow up from Concerned Ape "Haunted Chocolatier" is probably some ways off, so looking for something else to give me a taste of the good life. Haunted Chocolatier looks incredible too I should add. 

It is in Early Access so it is not 100% finished. Not tried it myself but it looks good.

Coral Island is one of the better Stardew Valley clones I've played recently and worth a look if you want to scratch that itch. It is on Game Pass at the moment as well.

Steller Blade Demo. 

Looks pretty but didn't even need to finish it, to know that I'd get bored of the full game quickly. 

Naming the main character Eve is about as creatively bankrupt as it gets. Petty complaint, I know. 

Unless the full game is mind blowing, looks like a 'wait for a sale' title, to me. 

The next gen Fallout 4 update has just come out on Game Pass as has Star Wars - Jedi Survivor. I'm looking forward to giving both a go over the weekend.

Edit - The free Fallout 4 update is on PlayStation too if you own the game. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob
Something, something Bacon.

A few years old, but foolishly I'd always given this game a wide berth until this week - Borderlands 3. 

I usually always leaned more towards realism with Shooters. With other genres I could tolerate a less serious style but with Shooting games, I preferred it to be as lifeline as possible. After seeking recommendations for games like The Division, somebody suggested Borderlands and as it was on sale I put my prejudice to one side. I feel like ive been missing out big time and I'm troubled at how much video game gold I've dismissed over the years. It's a blast, and complete fun from start to finish. If I had one criticism it would be the constant turmoil agonising over which weapons to throw away, but apart from that it's pretty much perfect. Once I'm done with that I'll be looking to pick up the 3 previous titles for the Switch. 

11 minutes ago, Donald J Trump said:

A few years old, but foolishly I'd always given this game a wide berth until this week - Borderlands 3. 

I usually always leaned more towards realism with Shooters. With other genres I could tolerate a less serious style but with Shooting games, I preferred it to be as lifeline as possible. After seeking recommendations for games like The Division, somebody suggested Borderlands and as it was on sale I put my prejudice to one side. I feel like ive been missing out big time and I'm troubled at how much video game gold I've dismissed over the years. It's a blast, and complete fun from start to finish. If I had one criticism it would be the constant turmoil agonising over which weapons to throw away, but apart from that it's pretty much perfect. Once I'm done with that I'll be looking to pick up the 3 previous titles for the Switch. 

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is a spin off from 3 and is a lot of fun too. Often in digital sales very cheap nowadays.

The original Borderlands games maybe showing their ages a bit nowadays but worth a try and won't be to costly. The TellTale point and click adventure games are very highly rated as well if you enjoy that genre of games.

Yes I've ended up falling into a big Borderlands hole and I won't be escaping for the foreseeable. Tiny Tina's Wonderland is on the list - looks great and a bit different stylistically from the main series. I find the Switch is a good way to enjoy games that are showing their age. Being on the smaller screen and being able to play anywhere tends to paper over the cracks a bit. 

4 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Steller Blade Demo. 

Looks pretty but didn't even need to finish it, to know that I'd get bored of the full game quickly. 

Naming the main character Eve is about as creatively bankrupt as it gets. Petty complaint, I know. 

Unless the full game is mind blowing, looks like a 'wait for a sale' title, to me. 

To me it just looked like NieR for paedos.

I never played the final fantasy games before and seen they have them all on the PlayStation store.

I bought the first one for 10 quid but have yet to play it, my main question is, is the pixilated/remastered version on the ps gonna give a true representation of the games and the series, or is it a case of the newer versions of them distorted it in anyway?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

I never played the final fantasy games before and seen they have them all on the PlayStation store.

I bought the first one for 10 quid but have yet to play it, my main question is, is the pixilated/remastered version on the ps gonna give a true representation of the games and the series, or is it a case of the newer versions of them distorted it in anyway?

The Final Fantasy games should all really be held on their own merit. Everyone has their own favourites and least favourites for one reason or another, though obviously there's a select few that are deemed classics by nearly everyone.
If by "the first one" you mean Final Fantasy I then you're probably not going to fall in love with the series or get a full representation off the back of it. Like all of them it has it's merits, but it's the first attempt at a game they didn't think would even become a series. It's maybe good for the time but it's never going to live up to the ones that came later down the line.
All the mainline games are individual stories as well, so there's no reason to start from 1 and do them chronologically. If you want a better representation of the series then there is probably no better place to start than Final Fantasy VII or Final Fantasy X as they're both (in my opinion) two of the most accessible and also two of the better ones in the series. If you want to stick with the pixel graphics then IV or VI are the best ones to go for.

11 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

I’ve played some of the pixel remasters on Steam Deck and I much prefer them to the originals, especially the very early ones. There’s lots of quality of life updates that give the whole series a sense of continuity. FF6 was perfect as it was, but I haven’t played the remaster of that one to see how they’ve gone about updating it. 

39 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

I’ll echo most of what @FLips says, but I’d add that - when it comes to a starting point - definitely don’t discount VI or IX. VI has aged incredibly well, and IX is just good fun. VII is my favourite game of all time, though I almost hesitate to say that because I don’t want to build unreasonable expectations. 

I, II and III have all aged poorly. They’re Nes games and feel very much like that. IV is decent, and I have a soft spot for V - but VI is when it really becomes something special. Brilliant story, an incredible soundtrack and loads of secrets to discover.