WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I finished the Secret of Mana remaster last night. It's a great game, but the remaster doesn't do a lot to paper over how much it's showing its age. It's a good thing it has a Game Guide to effectively tell you where you need to go next, because it has that very 16-Bit RPG thing of sometimes giving you no indication at all what you're meant to be doing.

I enjoyed it, but how much of that was nostalgia carrying me along, I don't know, as it was getting a bit tedious and repetitive towards the end - the halfway house of Final Fantasy and Zelda style adventuring basically means it turns into "complete themed dungeon, go to next town" over and over again. Luckily the art style and characters are charming enough to make up for it, and while the story is as generic as JRPGs go, it at least has a few twists and turns to it.

Cyberpunk 2077 was on sale so I thought I'd give it a go. Jesus Christ what a pile of absolute shit. I know it's an RPG, and I wasn't expecting wall to wall action, but the amount of dialogue is exhausting. It wouldn't be too bad if all the characters didn't speak in this weird jibberish, almost every line sounds like hackneyed street slang spoken by an undercover cop that's actively trying to get caught. I gave up after a mission where I had to meet a fixer who then wanted me to meet 3 or 4 other people. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I picked that up last year or so thinking I'd whack it out after all the bug fixes and have a great time, but I pretty much hated everything about it. Boring missions, crap story, hated all the characters, constant introduction of features that aren't fun, and then don't seem to come up again anyway. 

It's Elon Musk: The Game, never understood a single bit of cyberpunk fiction and completely out of touch with what a dystopian transhumanist world would be like. Deus Ex while not perfect really got it so much better.

As a city, on a very superficial level there were parts that looked like they might be fun to explore, once you started getting into it though it was definitely a case of style over substance. I can forgive games where the vending machines don't do anything and the guy behind the noodle bar just being part of the scenery. Here though, the world you're trying to immerse yourself in falls apart spectacularly quickly and compares unfavourably to games a good decade older. I ran down a street and done a couple of jumps just for the hell of it. All the pedestrians panicked and ran for their lives. A bit later I encountered a full blown shootout in the street and nobody was bothering their arse. Loads of small things done poorly quickly added up to a bit of a jarring experience. 

• Paid Members

I've been playing it recently because I'd finished Spider-Man 2 and Elden Ring and couldn't settle on something else to play - I've taken to sticking a podcast on and doing side missions - not really paying much attention to what's going on, just enjoying bright colours and shooting people. I'll probably finish it but won't bother with the expansion, unless the Elden Ring DLC comes out before I finish it to distract me.

I also finally beat two bosses on Bloodborne so that's motivating me a little bit more. It's much more indecipherable than Elden Ring was, but I like the aesthetic. 

I really enjoyed Elden Ring but as I'm the sort of pea-brain that's intensely relaxed about Ubisoft spoonfeeding me objectives and points of interest I did get myself in a muddle, especially when I learned locking myself out of some quests was a possible hazard. I also wish I hadn't found the rune farm at Mohgwyns Palace quite so early as I couldn't help myself. 

Edited by Donald J Trump
Spelling error - originally made no sense.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I also finally beat two bosses on Bloodborne so that's motivating me a little bit more. It's much more indecipherable than Elden Ring was, but I like the aesthetic. 

I found the key to Bloodborne is getting a good rhythm with the parrying, the blunderbuss worked really well for me to the point I'd shoot it on pure instinct and most often get a party.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I found the key to Bloodborne is getting a good rhythm with the parrying, the blunderbuss worked really well for me to the point I'd shoot it on pure instinct and most often get a party.

Yeah I finally learnt how to parry and it made life so much easier. 

• Paid Members

Warhorse Studios are announcing a new game today and surely SURELY it has to be the sequel to Kingdom Come: Deliverance (which so happens to be my favourite game of all time). I am buzzing for it!

In other news, I was delighted to discover that they've just put one of my childhood favourites, Medievil, on Plus. The original version not the remaster (which was also great). And what's more, it has trophy support! I only have a couple of classes today so I have dived straight in. Walking around the graveyard at the moment smashing those wee hands with a hammer, an activity that is just as pleasing now as it was when I was 9. What a game! 

13 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

If anyone is thinking everyone hates Cyberpunk 2077 I think it is one of the most stunning games of all time and enjoyed over 100 hours on it. Last years DLC Phantom Liberty Is one of the best reviewed DLC packs ever made as well.

Choom! Yeah I'm a sucker for it. I'd go so far as to say I'd struggle with thinking it's anything less than simply good - post bug fixes - once all the hype and expectation is removed.

I think if it was somehow a sleeper hit, I don't think it'd get the same kind of backlash. 

I absolutely wish it was deeper, but that's because I think the superficial world they've build is so enticing. Night City does have an extremely strong culture to it - on the surface - it's juts that it's all aesthetic. I'm definitely guilty of tying that into commentaries on the superficiality of the future it depicts admittedly, but I do think it's there. The ceaseless background noise of NPCs and traffic, the constant adverts for legalised amphetamines and clean water, the whole tech jungle feel of it all. It's got some really neat presentation. And the sound design is some of the best in the industry ever, period.