WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

The EA golf game was 90% off, I had a fiver in points so got it for tree fiddy. It’s really good, prefer it to the 2k game. Speaking of 2k, just seen NBA 24 is coming to game pass tomorrow! Nice one.

And only a fortnight to MLB 24. Obviously it’s annoyed men because you can play as a woman in career mode. They, like me, make a super jacked version of themselves and wins the Cy Young or HR Derby every year but women in the game takes away realism.

Mate, you’re complaining about realism? I won back to back World Series with the White Sox so realism got crammed up your shitpipe a long time ago. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The EA golf game was 90% off

Nice work, was this on Xbox? I can’t seem to find the offer anywhere but would fancy a bit of that.

1 hour ago, Scratch said:

Nice work, was this on Xbox? I can’t seem to find the offer anywhere but would fancy a bit of that.

Yeah it was a Game Pass subscriber deal. Might have only been for a day though. 

• Paid Members

Feel like I’m just cold take after cold take in the modern gaming thread lately but back on to Baldur’s Gate 3.

Playing co-op with my wife at launch I didn’t really think much of the game, a lot of it was down to mechanics and some in hindsight just down to gameplay elements that I either didn’t understand yet or weren’t actually explained. My wife got super super into it though and she’s about 4 or 5 plays deep now in solo games whereas I ducked out at Act 3 on our co-op run.

I thought that enough time had passed and I’ve seen my wife have so much fun on it that I’d go back and start solo and having more freedom in dialogue and combat and stuff would make the game more enjoyable for me. It did not. I still absolutely hate the randomness of the core gameplay. Dialogue options that you fail and it forces the character down paths you had no intention of being on, combat against scrub goblins where you constantly miss, and having to save scum locked doors and chests constantly.

I really like the characters and dialogue but I just wish it was more of a bog standard RPG where every action you make isn’t constantly down to chance. I don’t find any fun in the game doing the opposite of what I want to say or do 8/10 times.

A shame because I was really excited for it pre-launch but it’s just not for me and that’s twice I’ve tried it now so can’t say it’s due to a lack of.

That's exactly how I've felt about it @FLips. I really want to get into it, but it's a struggle. The story is compelling, and elements of the game definitely do appeal to me. But the combat is no fun at all, and the D&D mechanics don't gel with me at all. 

If someone ever mods out the portions of the game that don't gel with me, I reckon I'd have more fun with it than I've had so far. 

Finally bit the bullet and picking up a PS5 for my youngests 11th birthday today after work.

Made her contribute her birthday money towards it as I'm not made of money (God I'm turning into my Dad) but I still feel sick.

The absolute state of the price of controllers these days. That's the most shocking element I think.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Finally bit the bullet and picking up a PS5 for my youngests 11th birthday today after work.

Made her contribute her birthday money towards it as I'm not made of money (God I'm turning into my Dad) but I still feel sick.

The absolute state of the price of controllers these days. That's the most shocking element I think.

I haven't bought a second controller for any console I've owned in over fifteen years! Cannot bring myself to do it!

• Moderators
On 2/23/2024 at 8:03 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Been playing the new Prince of Persia game. It's excellent! Looks beautiful, good puzzles, good combat. Really no criticisms at all; if you were a fan of the ps2 games I can't see his you would dislike it. 10/10. 

Finished the main story. Loved this game. My only complaint is that I wish some of the difficult late game optional side stuff was really tough combat challenges instead of it all being puzzle / jumping challenges. 

I'd like some fun ways to flex the skills I've spent the game leveling up. 

All in all, actually, the combat was not that difficult. But it's really fun and fluid.

Chapter 9 on Final Fantasy Rebirth. Why is picking up a mushroom turned into a mini game? So unnecessary. 

Spoiler

Gongaga is such a pain in the arse to navigate. 

I need Dio to have his own spin-off. He’s the only side character who isn’t insufferable. Tit-bouncing weirdo.

I’m really tempted to skip all the side stuff and just plough on with the story. There’s far too much filler going on. 

• Paid Members

I started playing Snufkin: Melody Of Moominvalley on the Switch last night.

It's a licensed Moomins game, so could easily have been rubbish, and was always going to be incredibly twee. Luckily, it's great - very straightforward so far, but it looks gorgeous, and has had some genuine laugh out loud moments, and the soundtrack is by Sigur Ros, so those are all ticks in the positive column.

The premise is that Snufkin - a kind of wandering minstrel character, if you don't know the source material - is returning to Moominvalley in the Spring, expecting to see Moomintroll and everything to be back to normal, but instead everything has gone wrong, the river has dried up, Moomin is nowhere to be found, and there are fences and signs and hedges and well kept parks everywhere.

This outrages Snufkin, so you have to spend the game getting rid of the parks to allow nature to return in its place. There are policemen and park wardens you have to avoid, so it's a bit of a stealth game, and you beat each park by removing all of the signs - with no signs telling them the rules, the policemen assume there's no rules to enforce and wander off. It's simple, but lovely stuff.

I also recently finished Rollerdrome's super-hard New Game+ mode, and am very happy with it, and wish there was more content. I could go back and complete some of the challenges, but I find it hard to get motivated for that when it doesn't unlock me anything, I'm not a trophy-hunter. It's been one of my favourite new games I've played in a while, so I really hope there's a sequel, but it doesn't seem likely.

Also slowly working my way through Secret of Mana, but, as good as it is, finding it hard to get motivated to go back and play more. Once I've finished that, it's either on to Legend of Mana, or finally biting the bullet and buying myself a PS5 for the new Final Fantasy 7.