WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

There's been that talk around for a while about Microsoft kinda getting out of the hardware market, and I mean if they take steps to get Gamepass on other consoles I can see it. Call me when I can boot up the classic Halo games on the Switch, that console has been great for playing classic shooters on the go with the likes of Quake, Doom and Duke Nukem.

Edited by Merzbow

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

There's been that talk around for a while about Microsoft kinda getting out of the hardware market, and I mean if they take steps to get Gamepass on other consoles I can see it. Call me when I can boot up the classic Halo games on the Switch, that console has been great for playing classic shooters on the go with the likes of Quake, Doom and Duke Nukem.

I would imagine Microsoft would put Gamepass on PS5 and Switch in a heartbeat if Sony and Nintendo would allow it; but given what that would presumably cost them in software sales, I can’t imagine they’d green light that. 

I think we’ll see a future in which these games release on Xbox first, via Gamepass, before being released on other consoles several months down the line, giving Microsoft a second revenue steam. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I’d be flabbergasted to see Gamepass on a non-Microsoft console.

11 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I would imagine Microsoft would put Gamepass on PS5 and Switch in a heartbeat if Sony and Nintendo would allow it; but given what that would presumably cost them in software sales, I can’t imagine they’d green light that. 

I think we’ll see a future in which these games release on Xbox first, via Gamepass, before being released on other consoles several months down the line, giving Microsoft a second revenue steam. Perhaps I’m wrong, but I’d be flabbergasted to see Gamepass on a non-Microsoft console.

Gamepass could become the next big streaming service, on everything, Android, TV's, hell a smart fridge

Streaming games like that is definitely one of their big goals, they already have that service running but like all streaming gaming services the performance is just bad for many people still. I'm on a decent wired connection and lag was still crazy high.

It’s a shame I didn’t play Alan Wake 2 last year, as it absolutely would have made my top 5 for Rooster’s game poll. Incredibly atmospheric, with two equally interesting main characters to play as. I’m a wuss when it comes to horror games, so I’m playing this at a glacial pace just waiting for something to jump out at me. There’s some cool puzzles involving wooden dolls, collectibles that actually serve a function rather than just being something to find and tick off and even the NPCs have a personality and something to add to the game. 

Spoiler

The mind palace and writer’s room aspects really make me feel like I’m unravelling this mystery myself. Using Alan’s skills to change the environment of a location based on clues he’s found is unlike anything I’ve seen before. 

Once I’ve finished it, it’s back for a replay of Final Fantasy VII Remake to refresh my memory before Rebirth comes out. I’m hoping they continue the trend of the first and stray from the original story just enough so we don’t know what to expect. 

1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

A demo just came out for it!

For anyone who has played it (perhaps you, Merzbow?) - is it similar to the FFXVI demo, in that you can continue progress into the main game; or is it an excerpt that you would end up having to replay?

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

A demo just came out for it!

I’m going to resist temptation. I’ve avoided the trailers as well. I wish this was standard practice, having a demo to play before any big release. Certainly would have saved me from buying the occasional shitheap.

4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

For anyone who has played it (perhaps you, Merzbow?) - is it similar to the FFXVI demo, in that you can continue progress into the main game; or is it an excerpt that you would end up having to replay?

Taken from the press release:

After players complete the "Fall of a Hero in Nibelheim" content, the demo will receive an update on February 21, opening another playable section entitled "Dawn of a New Era in Junon." In this special preview made specifically for the demo, explore a small piece of the massive in-game world around the harbor town of Junon. The Junon area featured in this demo has been altered to make the content more compact, so progress cannot be carried over to the full game. However, fans and newcomers will get a chance to experience new forms of exploration, new synergy attacks and the powerful character bonds expressed through thrilling combat.  

Players with save data from the demo will receive the Kupo Charm and Survival Set in the full game. These players will also be able to skip past sections covered in the "Fall of a Hero in Nibelheim" demo. Players must ensure their game is fully updated to take advantage of these benefits. 

19 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Players with save data from the demo will receive the Kupo Charm and Survival Set in the full game. These players will also be able to skip past sections covered in the "Fall of a Hero in Nibelheim" demo. Players must ensure their game is fully updated to take advantage of these benefits. 

I think I'll give it a miss, then. I'd rather experience the game in the intended order and discover things as they come, as opposed to like this. 

• Paid Members

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Finished the main game around 60 hours in, but have kept most of the Sujimon/Dondoko stuff until Premium Adventure. I wasn't too blown away by it at first, but by the end of it I'd go as far as to say it's a huge improvement over the original Like a Dragon and was loads of fun.

Spoilers for more detailed thoughts:

Spoiler

I felt the game was dragging it's heels a little in the first several chapters stuck in Hawaii and Ijincho but once you unlocked Kamurocho and could travel between 2 or 3 of them at once it really made the game a lot more fun. Hawaii has grown on me over time but you can't beat the original locations.
I loved that it was basically a Best of Kiryu compilation and you got to see/meet all the key characters from previous games including my main man Pocket Circuit Fighter. I felt the overarching story of everyone having to convince Kiryu to stop being so strong and rely on friends for help was very touching and the payoff of him accepting treatment and finally reuiniting with Haruka was a little unexplained and vague but still lovely.
I felt Ichiban's Wes Anderson-style slow motion ending was very well done too. Him and the LaD crew have been a fantastic addition to the series and now they're in with Kiryu and co it would be nice to see them show up as playable characters in the core series.

My only negatives would be Zhao and Joongi were weak additions. It's nice to have the choice but by the time they show up there's no reason to put them in the party unless you like them more as characters.
I felt the side missions were lacking. I appreciated the Kiryu Bucket List stuff and the depth that I'm sure Dondoko and Sujimon will have, but the game's arcade offerings were the worst yet and it didn't feel that there was that many substories for the fact we had 3 cities to travel between. It was missing some of the oddball random encounters that are always a staple.

Edited by FLips

Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth mark out moments:

Spoiler

When Daigo, Saejima and Majima turn up in the final stretch to be in your party and of course who can forget Kiryu whacking on his signature suit and slicking back the hair for one final fight at the Millennium Tower, Kiryu has really grown on me as a character since Yakuza 6 and every time he met someone from his past it really left me emotional thinking it will be the last time we see these characters interact, I really hope he returns.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Hopefully we get at least one more game based in Kamurocho. 

Agree on the side stories being a let down. There was some decent ones in there but overall the weakest collection in the series.

Haven't even touched the arcade games, which is a first for me. 

• Paid Members

Alan Wake 2 let me down in the end. I was in love with it early on, I felt like I could have played the early Saga parts forever, solving creepy cult murders in the perfectly atmospheric woods. Then her family history started taking more precedence and I quickly lost more and more interest, and got fed up of the mind place stuff. Wake's parts just never got off the ground at all for me, its ideas of "horror" are hilarious, "is that a shadow or a taken? I guess you won't know until you get close... BOO! GOT YOU! HAHAHAHA!", fuck off. We Sing was an incredible moment though. I still love you, Remedy, but you need to do better when you're releasing in the same year as King Resi 4.

Started Telltale's The Expanse earlier, it's great, really captures the spirit of the show and definitely chose the right character to follow (Beltas 4 life), but holy shit, it's going to be short, done the first three chapters in about two and a half hours. I've got the version with the bonus chapter, which I'm hoping is going to be mutiple hours of Avasarala exquisitely roasting cunts to get a little more value back.