WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

Deadly Premonition with all it's jank matches the vibe of Twin Peaks far better, maybe a little too much at times with some right rip offs but it's far more charming.

Alan Wake 1 is more Stephen King.

Edited by Merzbow

There's a bit at the end of one of the chapers in Alan Wake where they just play a WHOLE rock song at the end.  Which blew my mind at the time, that sort of non-gamey moment was amazing.  

It reminded me of, if anyone's watched it, Due South - when they had an action sequence they'd literally edit the whole thing to an existing song that they bought in for the episode, it was such a cool thing and a change from the "write 2 mins of generic chase music" you get in all tv shows nowadays.  Chase sequences that feel like music videos.  So cool.

On Quantum Break I did the "Previously..." videos for the start of new chapters where you'd get a tv-style montage of what happened in the last chapter but specific to the story that your choices unfolded.  Again, very cool. 

Anyway, Alan Wake.  Great game.

Edited by Loki

10 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I've tried getting into the first game, to no avail. I was promised Twin Peaks, but I don't feel like - from what I've played - that it managed to do that. With that in mind, is there even any point trying the sequel? It sounds creative as hell, so I'd kind of like to, but I'm certainly apprehensive. 

I would stick with it, if possible. The first game is quite janky and is probably showing its age a little, but it's still a great game and you get a lot of out of the story.

The mechanics in Alan Wake 2 are similar, but graphically, it is obviously a huge step up. It's a totally unique experience: I can't really think of anything else to compare it with. 

Outside of Death Stranding 2 the Sony State of Play was a let down, starting with ten minutes of the most generic looking NieR clone that was far too pedo-y.

Silent Hill is dead, both the new game and remake look terrible.

56 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Outside of Death Stranding 2 the Sony State of Play was a let down, starting with ten minutes of the most generic looking NieR clone that was far too pedo-y.

Sony rarely blows it out of the park with these things, so with that in mind I thought it was OK. I'm certainly intrigued by Judas, given who is involved, and although I'm not entirely clear if the Sonic game is an expanded version of Generations or a sequel, I'm looking forward to it. The idea of Kojima working on what is presumably a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Solid is also quite exciting, although clearly that's not imminent. I'll need to revisit the original Death Stranding, I didn't like it first time round, but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. 

7 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Silent Hill is dead, both the new game and remake look terrible.

At least all the Final Fantasy and Persona nonces on here are being catered to.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

If you ever change your username to Kawaiith Houchen I’ll know they finally got to you.

Well, at least I know what’s going to happen at the end of the UKFF awards. 

@RedRooster After finishing Alan Wake Remastered, I’ve jumped straight into the second. I’m very early doors, but I think you definitely need to play this. As @StrongStyle said, it’s a massive leap visually. But outside of that, there’s a really cool game mechanic that’s introduced in the opening stages that I’ve never seen carried out as well in other games. This looks like it could be something very special.

Finished Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth today and loved it, took me around 52 hours in all and that’s without touching the Pokémon and Animal Crossing bits which I will now go back to in Premium Adventure.  

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Suicide Squad is one of the blandest games I've played in years. The shooting's fine and a couple of the characters have got some decent traversal mechanics (the other two are a bit too fiddly and clunky to pass as "fun"), but the fact that they've gone to all this trouble to create quite a nice looking city and then decided to give you next to nothing to do in it is absolutely bizarre. There's a few Riddler trophies to collect and the odd bit of "race through the checkpoint" nonsense which I'm pretty sure nobody ever bothers doing, but other than that you're pretty much just going from A to B and repeating the same few objectives over and over again. The mission rewards are generally less powerful than the gear you've already got, making the whole thing feel absolutely pointless (and is absolutely mental considering they made such a point of how much loot there is and how many ways there are to beef up your characters). They're an annoying bunch of cunts, too. It's shite, folks. Don't do it unless you're 8 years old and have never played any other games before.