WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I'm replaying some Prey and it's making me sad that Arkane is now a shell of it's former self thanks to the big Beth and Microsoft, it's going to take a new killer dev team to being back the AAA "im-sim" which is my favourite microgenre of game. A new Deus Ex was cancelled recently after Embracer Group shat the bed and is firing half of the people it bought up during covid.

• Paid Members

As much as I appreciate the world design I could never really get into other games in that genre. I love Prey though, because aliens. Realising who Aaron Ingram's voice actor was was the most I've popped at hearing a voice since Kevin Sorbo turned up as Hercules in God of War!

• Paid Members

Bought Balatro on Steam today and that's all my spare time gone. It's a poker roguelike - get dealt cards and try to make poker hands to score chips. Better hands score more points, beating stages gets you money to spend in the shop on more cards, cards that improve the scoring of your cards, or Jokers - cards that modify your score when you fulfil specific objectives (like multiplying it by 3 when you score the same hand two times in a row). Bosses, one every three stages, each come with a unique ability to fuck with you - forcing you to discard two cards every time you play, dealing some cards face down, and removing scoring from specific suits are some I played against today.

I've played it for 90 minutes after work and I can already feel the next thousand hours creeping up on me. 
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2379780/Balatro/

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Jesse said:

Bought Balatro on Steam today and that's all my spare time gone. It's a poker roguelike - get dealt cards and try to make poker hands to score chips. Better hands score more points, beating stages gets you money to spend in the shop on more cards, cards that improve the scoring of your cards, or Jokers - cards that modify your score when you fulfil specific objectives (like multiplying it by 3 when you score the same hand two times in a row). Bosses, one every three stages, each come with a unique ability to fuck with you - forcing you to discard two cards every time you play, dealing some cards face down, and removing scoring from specific suits are some I played against today.

I've played it for 90 minutes after work and I can already feel the next thousand hours creeping up on me. 
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2379780/Balatro/

One of my old internet mates was raving about it so I played the Demo, and it's ridiculously fun - I don't even massively like Poker! Game came out a day after I tried the demo, so the demo wasn't active, so as a result I was going to just move on, but then I saw it posted about on Twitter, bought it and now it's going to be my new Slay the Spire for a bit.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:03 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Been playing the new Prince of Persia game. It's excellent! Looks beautiful, good puzzles, good combat. Really no criticisms at all; if you were a fan of the ps2 games I can't see his you would dislike it. 10/10. 

The one thing that has put me off is people describing it as 'Soulslike' - something I didn't feel about the original game, or the PS2 versions. Does that description ring true, do you think?

2 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

I’ve just had Final Fantasy Rebirth delivered a day early. Farewell to my life for the foreseeable.

I was hoping I’d be doing that today but got my email this morning saying it will be delivered tomorrow 

Enjoy!

12 hours ago, Nexus said:

Helldivers 2 is hella fun. 

I bought it last week but have yet to become properly acquainted with it...as I am doing my first NG+ playthrough of Elden Ring. First completed the game in June 2022 - and it took me until about 6 hours into this file to understand what Great Runes/Rune Arcs actually do. I'm a berk.

Obviously, NG+ makes everything a lot more straightforward, so I'm glad I've started it with Shadow of the Erdtree coming out in the summer. I 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

I bought it last week but have yet to become properly acquainted with it...as I am doing my first NG+ playthrough of Elden Ring. First completed the game in June 2022 - and it took me until about 6 hours into this file to understand what Great Runes/Rune Arcs actually do. I'm a berk.

Obviously, NG+ makes everything a lot more straightforward, so I'm glad I've started it with Shadow of the Erdtree coming out in the summer. I 

What you playing as?