WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

been playing Assassins Creed Unity; most of the AC games are free on PS Plus at the moment, and I like the setting of this one, and never really played it, just watched my ex play it. You know what you're getting with these games, so it was all decent enough, but a bit of a slog toward the end - I finished the main story, and started on the Dead Kings DLC and some of the few remaining side quests, but while the DLC has some nice new additions, the story is dogshit and lumbers you with an annoying child sidekick, and it has the problem of all open world games in that after however many hours I've put into it the novelty of jumping about finding treasure chests and collectibles has long since worn off, so I can't get remotely invested in doing any more of it. So I'm shelving that one for the time being.

Still pulling from PS Plus free games, I gave Stranger Of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins a spin and barely made it out of the tutorial. My only prior knowledge was that it was a kind of remake/reimagining of the first Final Fantasy game, but I just didn't get it at all. The opening is just a series of barely connected scenes, unlikeable out of place characters, an inexplicable Frank Sinatra setpiece, dogshit voice acting, and tutorials teaching you how the combat works after it's already made you fight a boss monster. An incomprehensible mess that gave me no reason to want to keep playing.

So instead I went to an old faithful, and started Secret of Mana. It's the PS4 remake, so all cutesy 3D graphics rather than the SNES original, and at least this time the voice acting is, while still bad, kind of charming. It's one of the great JRPGs, and I have only the faintest of memories of anything that happens in it, so it's nice and easy one to play and I'm enjoying it.

Finally, I started playing Rollerdrome and I absolutely adore it. I was sold the moment I saw the trailer, but assumed I would be terrible at it. Luckily the controls are a lot more intuitive than I imagined, and it manages what to me is the real sweet spot of good game design - it's enjoyable and you want to keep playing even if you keep losing, and I never get annoyed at the game design when I lose, as it's always my own fault, not a bit of bad level layout, cheap CPU behaviour or bad camera. 
If you don't know it, the game is right up my street aesthetically - a retrofuturist blood-sport in the Speedball/Death Race 2000 style; it's rollerblading with guns, so gameplay is fast and frantic and bonkers, but the main selling point for me is that it's visually gorgeous, everything that as a kid I wanted video games of the future to look like. Beautiful cel-shading that makes it look like a European graphic novel.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm still playing Alan Wake Remastered. Is every level wandering around in the woods in the dark or is there a bit more variety further in?

There's a bit of variety, but not lots. It gets a bit more actiony as it goes on, but that's about it. I enjoyed it, but I liked the overall theme - the actual gameplay mechanic (shine a torch on them until you can shoot them) was pretty samey.

One I'm playing at the moment is Return of the Obra Dinn, which is a strange little game. It's more an extended logic puzzle than anything else, but the atmosphere and weirdness make it quite fun. And I do like those kind of logic puzzles sometimes. I may need to restart it with a notebook though.

Tomb Raider 1+2+3 Remastered came out today, graphically they're not super high tech or anything and it seems super faithful to the originals with just an newer upscaled look. Runs flawlessly at 60 fps even on Switch so finally we have definitive ways to play the originals, it felt like for years if not decades that the OG games were lost to time.

There's modern controls for those who want them, I'm sticking with the old school tank style though.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

For the price they're asking, these look like they've turned out as good as you could hope for, cleaned up real nice. Will definitely pick this up for 2 and 3 down the line. Anniversary (like the first RE remake) has made 1 obsolete for me.

We couldn't save anywhere back on PS1, right? That alone is a game changer.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

Yeah they look to have done a great job with them. Love all three but I'm a Tomb Raider II boy. That's the one I grew up with. At the time Venice felt like the most insanely absorbing, atmospheric 'realistic' atmosphere a game had ever done to me. 

I don't know if I'm quite ready for Temple of Xian to give me nightmares again. 

2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Tomb Raider 1+2+3 Remastered came out today, graphically they're not super high tech or anything and it seems super faithful to the originals with just an newer upscaled look. Runs flawlessly at 60 fps even on Switch so finally we have definitive ways to play the originals, it felt like for years if not decades that the OG games were lost to time.

There's modern controls for those who want them, I'm sticking with the old school tank style though.

Apparently they were aiming to make the remaster look like what 90s players remember the games looking like in their memories of having to sort of fill in the gaps and imagine what the environments actually looked like, if it had been possible to see things properly through all the rough jagged edges. Which is quite a nice thing to go for, really.

Been playing Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden for the last couple of days. The combat's not up to much (it's fine, just nothing special) but everything else is pretty great. You play as a pair of ghost hunters in 17th century New England, trying to rid the town of a curse but ending up having to investigate loads of hauntings and banish all the spirits. It looks like it should be open world but it's one of those games with a lot of linear paths that take you to your destination, but there's plenty of opportunities to break off and look for hidden stuff. The story's been good over the first 4 or 5 hours that I've seen so far, the characters are likable, there's some really good voice acting, it looks and sounds lovely, some of the enemies are really nicely designed, there's been some decent puzzles as you try to figure out how to get around each location, and some of the "moral choices" you're forced to make are really quite emotional. Enjoying it very much!

39 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Apparently they were aiming to make the remaster look like what 90s players remember the games looking like in their memories of having to sort of fill in the gaps and imagine what the environments actually looked like, if it had been possible to see things properly through all the rough jagged edges. Which is quite a nice thing to go for, really.

It also makes sense as the geometry can't be changed at all without drastically changing the base mechanics, the entire game is on a grid based system and relies on block edges to grab.

I now own Disco Elysium for a third platform.. the Game up in the local House of Fraser is closing down it seems and they had an "imperfect" copy on Switch marked up at £18 but with another 50% off marked price so I had to grab it. Do I run a fascist run or play the centrist who hates all sides? I know I'm going down the "Artcop" route as that's one that interests me yet I've never tried it.

I finished Baldur's Gate 3. A remarkable game. I don't usually buy in to numbered ratings for media, but it's definitely a 10.

Spoiler

I botched saving Karlach because I'm an idiot who forgets things. I don't mind admitting I got a little emotional when she has to return to Avernus, or when she returns for the post-game feast. 

Spoiler

Edited by CharlesTuckerTheThird
Apologies for the empty spoiler, I don't know how to remove them.

Has anyone here played Helldivers 2? Seems to be massively popular at the moment. 

Almost finished with my replay of Final Fantasy 7 RemakeThere’s so much filler in it. Pretty much all of the side quests are pointless and none of the additional characters make much of an impact. Chadley, Kyrie, Roche, in the bin with you all. I’m hoping that Rebirth has more of an open world and more enemies. Something like Final Fantasy 12. Remake also has frequent uses of one of my biggest pet hates in games; sidling down a narrow path oh so slowly. It’s a staple of any action/adventure game nowadays. At least in The Last Of Us they gave you a jump scare on occasion when some big fucker burst through it as you were creeping forward.