WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

On 3/19/2024 at 3:12 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Happy MLB The Show 24 Day to all who celebrate. 

Really loving this, the pitching against CPU teams has improved hugely, they throw a lot more out and around the edges of the strike zone so you really have some great battles at the plate. Being me, I was absolutely delighted in drawing 4 (four) walks in a single game!

Biggest drawback is the music plays during a game in the background and I haven’t sussed out how to turn the fucker off yet!

• Paid Members
On 3/19/2024 at 9:58 PM, DavidB6937 said:

WWE2k23

Got it on the cheap now the new one is out. Haven't bought one in a good 4-5 years so thought I'd give it a chance.

Actually pleasantly surprised. General presentation is really good. A few ridiculous glitches still but doesn't feel nearly as much of a slog as some previous games and doesn't look terrible either. Well apart from the faces and teeth freaking me out on cut scenes.

Helps that I've got it on my Steamdeck so I can just dip in and out whenever. Just working through My Rise at the moment but yeah definitely the most solid all round WWE game I've played in ages. I'll definitely pick the next one up once that goes cheap too.

This has piqued my interest in getting 2K23 on the cheap. I always assumed that WWE games ran like ass on the deck but your review had me check out the protondb reviews, and it's all positive for the most part. I gave up on the WWE games a decade ago when they introduced some mechanics that didn't really gel with me, and I wasn't a fan of being forced to buy all the DLC just to keep up with the Community Creations, but I'm ready to give them a second chance after ten years of largely ignoring/laughing at them. On the wishlist it goes!

On a related note, some bigger boys put a load of older wrestling games on my deck, and I've been having a blast with the Holy Trilogy of WWE Games (Shut Your Mouth, Here Comes The Pain, Smackdown Vs Raw) and all play beautifully and can be upscaled by 4. 

Getting into the Tomb Raider remasters after about a year of not playing anything at all. I find myself switching to the potato graphics a lot when I'm stuck. The more simplistic textures and lack of dynamic lighting make hidden switches, health pickups etc way easier to see! 

Persevering with the original for now to do it right, but the series starts for me when the Bartoli boys start kicking off in the sequel. 

On 3/21/2024 at 11:21 AM, Merzbow said:

How's the Spyro trilogy? I only ever played a demo of the first game back in the day but remember it being pretty fun.

I loved it. Played 1 and 3 to 100% in the PSone era and the remake does it total justice. It even has the option to switch to the original music which Crash lacked. Definitely worth playing. 

7 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I loved it. Played 1 and 3 to 100% in the PSone era and the remake does it total justice. It even has the option to switch to the original music which Crash lacked. Definitely worth playing. 

It does?! Was this added in a later update, or did I totally miss this when I played it on launch?

On 3/20/2024 at 4:01 PM, Dr. Alan Grant said:

After watching a review, I think my next big game is going to be Dragon’s Dogma II. It seems to have a fair amount in common with Elden Ring in that it doesn’t hold your hand like other action RPGs and expects you to find your own way forward. 

Hmm. I’m still very very early into this, but I may end up eating these words. This game needs a lot of polish. Whenever I move the camera, the edges of my character become blurry. Lip syncing during dialogue is some of the worst I’ve ever seen. There’s no lock-on for enemies during combat, which should surely be a standard feature. I should have probably gone back to Elden Ring and spent another 100 hours there instead.

The lack of lock-on is absolutely infuriating. Equally annoying, I can't seem to find a way of setting hotkeys for inventory items. If I'm halfway through a battle with a big fuck off ogre, I want to be able to just press a button to use a stamina potion or a fire spell or whatever, not fanny around in my inventory and scroll through everything to find whatever it is that I want to use. Also, I wish the pawns would shut the fuck up.

• Paid Members

Been trying a few bits and bobs on Gamepass over the last couple of weeks as we've both been off work.

MLB The Show 24

I played last year's quite a lot and this year has made some of the UI a bit easier to navigate and some minor gameplay tweaks, but other than that it's exactly the same game. My main issue with last year is still in this year's. I enjoy Diamond Dynasty and building a team with cards and collectables, but because this is the "pay to win" mode you're locked into Veteran difficulty so I basically play it for an hour and get sick of "Hit a Home Run" or "Get two RBIs" against Veteran pitchers who in some cases have thrown me for a walk and auto-failed the challenge. I got to the second last chapter in the Derek Jeter storyline and stopped playing for the same reason. I play on the easy difficulties and that's how I enjoy the game, but unfortunately the main modes all lock you out of doing that. I ended up just deleting it in the end.

Evil West

Trailer made it look like Gears of War with melee combat but it's more like a linear Dark Souls-lite with roll dodging and timing attacks that lets you fire weak guns. Not what I was expecting or wanting to play, didn't think much of it and stopped playing a few levels in.

Stardew Valley

Been playing this with my wife nearly every day and we're both hooked still as we approach Spring of Year 3. There's no denying it really falls off a cliff after you finish the community center and gives you very little incentive to plant crops or do anything other than find the easiest and quickest way to make money. There's a whole other island that unlocks after the main game but there's next to nothing there unless you want to grow different crops.

Brilliant game but falls so deeply between genres that unless you really enjoy a particular aspect of it you'll find the endgame underwhelming.

2 hours ago, FLips said:

I play on the easy difficulties and that's how I enjoy the game, but unfortunately the main modes all lock you out of doing that

I play on easy and haven’t had this issue. I did have an issue with different settings for different modes but in the menu you can set your preferences as default. It’s a bit hidden away though!

The challenges have always been of varying difficulty but I ain’t touching those Xtreme things or whatever they’re called!

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I play on easy and haven’t had this issue. I did have an issue with different settings for different modes but in the menu you can set your preferences as default. It’s a bit hidden away though!

The challenges have always been of varying difficulty but I ain’t touching those Xtreme things or whatever they’re called!

It’s fine for the Road to The Show, and March-October modes I think, but the story modes and Dynasty both auto-set the difficulty. The one on Jeter’s where you have to make base 4 times drove me up the wall.

1 minute ago, FLips said:

It’s fine for the Road to The Show, and March-October modes I think, but the story modes and Dynasty both auto-set the difficulty. The one on Jeter’s where you have to make base 4 times drove me up the wall.

In Dynasty, I get the option of playing easy when having a solo game in conquest and against the cpu, I’ve noticed there aren’t any rookie challenges this year though! I’ve found on veteran that drawing a walk is far more frequent than last year, and I’ve been hit by a pitch loads! 

That Jeter challenge sounds like a right bastard though!