WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I'd definitely skip the first Final Fantasy. In fact - controversial, perhaps - but unless you actively play and enjoy 16-bit/pixel/retro games I'd probably skip the first six entirely and then go back to them later. 

The progression and battle systems in virtually all the games are so specific as to be marmite - and there's really no way of knowing if you'll dig it or not until you get stuck in - so I'd tend to just go for the aesthetic that takes your fancy the most. FLips is on the money though with VII and X being logical jump in points if you do want to play it safe at all costs. 

VII is the sprawling, cutesy, archetypal 'best game ever' entry of the series. It's full of downtrodden oddballs cheerily trying to scrape by on a dying planet.

VIII hones in more on a human love story. The physical atmosphere is more grounded and military but everything else about it is off the wall. If your favourite entry in most series is the weird, misunderstood, awkward one then here you go! 

IX is kind of like Abbey Road. It's got all the best bits of the earlier albums all jammed into one and functions as both a best-of and send-off to an era. If you like medieval fantasy go with this one. That's not to sell it short. It's essentially a story about a bunch of completely different people banded together figuring out existential dread and death. I think it's comfortably the best written game in the series. 

X is post-apocalyptic Home & Away where some of the characters are religious fundamentalists who play water basketball. 

X-2 is that, but with Charlie's Angels energy. 

XII I really didn't gel with so can't speak too much to it but it's like...tech high fantasy?...with the gameplay being modelled almost like an offline MMO. 

XIII is really linear and the battle system almost sort of plays itself. Not that that's a bad thing. They wanted it to be accessible. I have no idea what the fuck it's about, though. I tapped out here. 

8 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Steller Blade Demo. 

Looks pretty but didn't even need to finish it, to know that I'd get bored of the full game quickly. 

Naming the main character Eve is about as creatively bankrupt as it gets. Petty complaint, I know. 

Unless the full game is mind blowing, looks like a 'wait for a sale' title, to me. 

I was looking forward to buying it but played the demo last week and didn’t last 5 mins, I couldn’t get into the combat.  IGN gave it a 7 too which is really low for them so I think I’ll wait for it to land on Plus.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, The Gaffer said:

X is post-apocalyptic Home & Away where some of the characters are religious fundamentalists who play water basketball. 

As in Alf Stewart Home & Away? Because if so, I'm instantly sold.

• Paid Members

My mate is a big PS2 collector and so over the last few weeks I've been playing some stuff with him. I can't remember if I already mentioned it in here but we finished the PS2 Altered Beast which isn't anywhere near as bad as people say, but I also wouldn't go as far as to say it's good. It's a very solid, right down the middle 5/10. There are some decent boss fights and the as someone who isn't a fan of the genre I don't find the combat any less monotonous than something like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta. That being said, the fact you have to watch the human to beast transition every single time is a nightmare because the game encourages a lot of transforming. Like how Metal Gear Solid games are 30% gameplay and 70% cutscenes, this was the same ratio in gameplay to transforming.

We also played Castlevania: Lament of Innocence which is chronologically the first game in the Castlevania story and is about the origins of Dracula and the Vampire Killer Whip. The gameplay is what it is but it's the overall package that worked well here. Really good soundtrack, interesting puzzle elements and hammy voice acting all made it a good laugh to play through and the solid if unspectacular gameplay held our attention long enough. We started Castlevania: Curse of Darkness over the weekend and while Lament had a central hub and areas you could play and go back to in any order, this one is more like Symphony of The Night where it's one big connected world. The music is jammin' but I was underwhelmed with the gameplay so far as there are a lot of areas with nothing in them and it doesn't have the atmosphere to pull it off like Symphony does.

We 100%'d the Pamela Anderson quicktime event shooter/rhythm game VIP which took a couple of hours and we didn't stop laughing through the whole thing. I'm not going to lie to you and say it's a good game in any way but I think he got it for a tenner and if you're looking for a way to pass a couple of hours and piss yourself laughing at how amazingly bad it all is then this is the game for you.

Another game in the lineup is Mr Moskeeto which is absolutely bonkers. The game opens with some pro-mosquito propaganda and then has you play as one terrorising a Japanese family. Each level is a family member in a room and you have to suck a specific amount of blood from them. They follow a routine and you have to pick your spot to zoom in and start sucking. If they see you it starts a david vs goliath fight where you have to fly around them and hit their "relaxation points" to calm them down.
The whole thing is a bit unsettling. The daughter of the family is 17 and there's a level where she's in the bath with the top of her tits above water and straight away my mate went "wonder where the weak spot is in this level" and right enough it has you suck the blood out of a 17 year old Japanese schoolgirls tit.
Other stages have you bite gross areas like between toes or on the lip and it's all just a bit much.

He has the usual lot of WWE games. We tried Smackdown vs Raw vs ECW 2009 and the original Smackdown vs Raw in that order. 2009 has an old school feel still but it's right on the cusp of when they were moving to a more simulated style. Slower pace, analogue stick controls and borderline boring mechanics. We got a bit of fun out of the roster and our Sandman vs Marcus Cor Von match was a laugh but we quickly stuck the original Smackdown vs Raw on and that was way way better.
Nostalgia right off the bat with the 2000s playlist full of enjoyable shite like Breaking Benjamin and Powerman5000, a gyrating Sable and Torrie Wilson on all the menus and a roster that is an absolute blast. The gameplay was fast paced similar to HCTP and other games before it and we had an absolute riot on it. I can't remember how good the ones between this and 09 were but my brain is telling me this was the last proper good one. I don't remember any of them as much as I remember putting this one on and being blasted by EVERYTHINGSFALLINGAPART as soon as it loads. Good times.

Outside of the PS2 I've been playing the original Fallout before and after work which I've always been a big fan of since first playing it back during the 2012 London Olympics (at home as a viewer, not as a participant). It's very much required that you save-scum your way through it as you'll find yourself in deep shit a lot. I love the graphics though, always found this 90s/00s pre-rendered style really nice and I wish we saw more games now that had it.
Got good memories of this one outside of the olympics too as when me and my wife first started dating, the first night she stayed over at mine I made us bacon sarnies and we played this the next morning. When she saw I was playing it again she made us bacon sarnies and sat with me, the wee cutie.

During work I've been playing Fallout New Vegas (the benefits of working from home) and that's been good fun as well. I wasn't surprised to see it show up in @RedRooster's favourite games thread as I've always held the opinion this is the best one. This, what must be my 3rd or 4th playthrough, hasn't changed that opinion either. It's janky in places but the characters and places and joys of exploring the wasteland were never matched. I do want to give Fallout 4 another chance though as I didn't think much after playing it at launch.

And lastly the three of us (me, my mate with the PS2 and my wife) have all been playing Fallout 76 again. It's perfectly fine as an online with your mates game but it leaves a lot to be desired as a Fallout game even with all the updates it's had. The usual issues that bog down MMORPGs are all in this, including old favourites carry weights filled with junk, no way to do main missions as a team so having to do them seperately at the same time, and forgoing exciting unique encounters to instead have repeatable public events. Is what it is, we're having fun but not as much fun as if Fallout 76 was single player we feel.

I miss old, shitty Fallout 76. I tried to start a new character a year or so ago but found it was way too generous with keeping you alive. So like a lot of other MMOs, but those MMOs at least usually have decent content attached. 

It was barren and pointless when it first game out, but it was at least hard as nails in the first few hours. It kind of worked well as an eerie survival role play. I remember feeling genuinely elated finding bottles of purified water when ransacking gafs. 

Edited by The Gaffer

13 hours ago, The Gaffer said:

I miss old, shitty Fallout 76. I tried to start a new character a year or so ago but found it was way too generous with keeping you alive. So like a lot of other MMOs, but those MMOs at least usually have decent content attached. 

I have to admit, that makes it seem more appealing to me - I hated the survival mechanics when it first launched. Are those all gone now?

9 minutes ago, Version1.0 said:
2 hours ago, FLips said:

Fun coincidence actually. I was watching @Big Bully Busick’s Youtube channel and he picks a game up and says “what on earth is that”. 
I knew what it was straight away.

IMG_9114.thumb.jpeg.81ce71446c4d89b2ac5972bf84736d6b.jpeg

It’s the Japanese copy of Mr Moskeeto! It’s definitely a fetish thing.

Makes sense now

I've only ever seen the Pal release cover 

Edited by Big Bully Busick