Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

It was the same in the Highlands. The Highlands has something like 230,000 people and a grand total of 8 intensive care beds, up in Inverness. Last weekend absolute idiots from the Central Belt flocked up there, whether for a sunny day out or to self-isolate up there in second homes, caravan parks and such in the hope of escaping the virus. Like that's going to end well. 

It was rightly totally condemned by the government but this pandemic is proving what we all suspected all along - huge swathes of the population are beyond thick. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

It was rightly totally condemned by the government but this pandemic is proving what we all suspected all along - huge swathes of the population are beyond thick. 

Yup. I thought that social media was highlighting how shockingly thick a lot of people are, but who knew that a pandemic would go even further?

• Paid Members

Just wanted to add to the well wishes for @neil and your family. Really sorry to hear that. It’s an extra cruel part of this virus that you can’t even be there to comfort people who’ve lost someone. It’s bad enough people are dying but to think of the people left behind around the world now, who are grieving on their own, is heartbreaking. 

Just read that a 21 year old girl from the UK has died now from this. Seems she had no other underlying health issues either. 

Hopefully this will wake some more people up. It’s not just a case of the very old and already sick who are at risk. It’s everyone. 

Really finding it hard to fight the temptation to go and see my parents at the moment but it’s just not worth the risk of potentially passing anything on to them or them to us. Me, my brother and two sisters have all been keeping in contact through phone calls and FaceTime and so on. My kids and theirs are used to seeing each other all the time and most of them are too young to understand why it has to be that way but it’s obviously a must for the time being. 

Stay safe everyone. Hope you and yours all get through this OK. 

3 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'm so angry at the lack of clarity offered by the UK Government. The guidelines are so full of caveats and potential loopholes.

There are so many people heading to work that, in reality, couldn't be described as essential in any way, shape or form.

On top of that, I can see long term implications for tourism in this part of the world, even when this is all over. Locals are fed up, I've never seen such anger.

This past weekend, despite repeated warnings calling on people not to travel, Snowdonia had one of its busiest ever weekends as seemingly half the population of Lancashire and Merseyside rocked up like we have massive hospitals around here and/or are living in such an idyllic place that viruses don't travel this far west or something.

Kind of sums it up.

http://www.deeside.com/covid-19-unprecedented-scenes-in-snowdonia-on-saturday-despite-social-distancing-measures/

stream_img.jpg

My girlfriends sister who has been reacting in a rather hysterical manner to all this (which I'll admit is very understandable)posted that her and her boyfriend were making the most of their 1 hour exercise by driving to Anglesey for a walk. Its an hour each way from their house.

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

My sister lives on Pontycystlle aqueduct and spent all Monday shouting "fuck off home" at the tourists. Have they all descended upon Abersoch yet to decimate it? 

The volume of traffic going through Abergele and along the A55 was worse than May bank holiday. I really don't get the logic leap from 'Lockdown' to 'Holiday' absolute bellends. The only saving grace of my mum and dad being in North Wales was the low number of cases there and I was gutted I couldn't get to see them but they seem happy enough in the house for the last 10 days but there's no way that volume of people isn't going to cripple the hospitals round there almost instantly.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

If they're working on their own in gardens, not going near the homeowner and not travelling on public transport, I can't see any issue with that one.

They turned up in their own van where the two of them obviously weren't social distancing inside and then worked within a small garden together where they also weren't social distancing. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Rank. I'd rather be compared to an Arsenal fan than someone from Essex.

Cheers, nice one. (Ba)Con's crying.

I'll make it worse. I was actually born in Barking in the same hospital as The Edge, not that Edge, but The Edge.

I need to get some fresh fruit for the kids so was deciding when I should go to the supermarket. Apparently they have been really busy again today, but letting in 10 people at a time. Not sure if people are distancing or not, guessing not

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, Loki said:

My parents have a guy who does their garden, and a helper who comes in twice a week. 

On 3/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Just when I thought not calling this the Coronavirus thread was as middle class this could get. 

• Paid Members

My eldest lad has just used his daily excercise to nip up and see me(through the window!), and fetched me a few essentials. He's said that all the shops and chemists he's past have queues out side(all spaced out to be fair) and are operating a one in, one out system, or in the case of the chemists, they have a desk set up at the door with a pharmasist in mask and gloves serving one at a time. 

Looks like people are FINALLY starting to realise how bad this is and take it seriously...

It's definitely quietened down out here but there's still a good few unnecessary shoppers from what I've seen on my round. One dick head even knocked my van window amd asked if I had a lighter yesterday. 

My fear is that the panic will die down after a week of boredom and we'll see more and more people sneaking out and it get's even more strict as a result.

I expect barbecues and house party's by the weekend on my street and I'll be pretty tempted to be a dirty grass if there is. Fuck confining my kids to more misery because Shazza over the road wants to get gangbanged by a bunch of teenagers.*

*May or may not be rhetorical, names changed to protect identities.

22 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

My workplace has a confirmed case of the coronavirus, I'm due for training on Friday and to work the weekend, it's not closing. I'm debating not going, ain't wanting to pass it to my mum or nan

Can you isolate away from your mum nan? I would not be putting anyone at risk either mate if I was in your shoes. 

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

My workplace has a confirmed case of the coronavirus, I'm due for training on Friday and to work the weekend, it's not closing. I'm debating not going, ain't wanting to pass it to my mum or nan

If it’s confirmed, phone 111, tell them you’ve been to work with someone who has been confirmed and they will tell you to isolate. If 111 tell you to isolate I’m pretty sure your work can say absolutely fuck all against it.

4 hours ago, quote the raven said:

Well no update yet from the offending HR I think maybe the plan will be to stave me out. Allow me not to go in but refuse to pay me anything see if I quit. 

Needless to say as soon as this is over I’m looking for a new job ASAP 

@quote the raven

I will be in the same position come 06th April should my company not change their position. To be fair my company (who I never name publicly online) is being way more compassionate than the shitecway you are being treated.

I am looking daily at both Government and DiabetesUK advice.

In your position do you know if the NHS volunteers campaign are accepting at risk people like us.

If they are not then that could be a precedent for you.

Good luck mate