Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Awards Moderator

Oh, and by fuck does mindfulness help. Bloody great skill to have to be able to snap into the present moment with a few breaths. Makes everything rational. I believe Headspace is free at the moment? Carve out 15 minutes without distractions to do it once a day. 

https://www.headspace.com/covid-19

• Paid Members

Prince Charles is now in self-isolation with Covid-19. Meanwhile, Prince Andrew is in self-isolation with Elisa-15.

I had a mental health moment last night.

My mobile; which I use for listening to the radio and for all social media was charging so badly that it was losing charge.

Net result was I chucked it onto my wooden floor.

It was shit like this that led my to chatting to my GP a few years ago and being prescribed Citalopram. Thing is that when I used to do this it would be a genuine attempt to break the object.

Mobile is fine but charger isn't but the first spare charger worked. I took a (prescribed for PRN pain) Amitriptyline which led to a great sleep and was up at seven.

Went to take my medication this morning, picked up the empty bottle of pills that I use to put all my daily stuff in and found - yesterdays stuff which I had dispensed but somehow forgotten to take.

I need to mark that down as a one off but fuck sake.

Hope no one thinks this is a selfish post but it shows that there is always a reason for this shite.

The more serious this situation has developed, the oddly calmer I've been about it all. It's almost like my anxiety and fear of these situations happening outweigh the reality of when they actually do happen. I cannot do anything but stay inside. Also I thought something like this would be more dramatic. Instead Greggs closed.

Every generation goes through something like this be it war or disease. Lets hope we learn the rights lessons from this

• Paid Members

I honestly think the way we work is going to shift when this is all said and done. A lot of businesses who refuse to let people work from home are now finding that they have had to, and it's been more positive then negative. I can see home working becoming a lot more of a common thing when this is all said and done.

And from a hygene point of view, I hope we continue being conscious of washing our hands more often.

9 hours ago, BigJag said:

She even managed to soak up a bit of sun in the garden today. As her mother was displaying some of the symptoms.

Amazingly sunbathing is one part of the health guidelines to beat the virus!

If only the "hilarious" dude on here who pretended he had some friends around for a barbecue, had bragged about getting the sun beds out. He could have got a rise out of us and been factually correct (well not about having any friends 😂).

Did a bit-more-than-a-weekly shop yesterday, and it was actually really pleasant. It felt like the preppers, panickers and stock-pilers were out of the way, and everyone was just making the best of things and trying to keep things as normal as possible. A couple of masks, plenty of social distance. This is actually a rare time I welcome a bit of email 'spam', because Sainsburys have been sending daily updates as to what measures they'll be introducing, like priority times for particular shoppers (NHS, elderly, etc.). Food is the main concern at this time, and although I know these messages are likely not being hand-penned by the big boss himself, it definitely helps reassure that things are under control as much as possible.

I'm in two minds wearing a mask. I invested in a proper fine filter mask. I don't have the virus, but I do want to minimise risks both if I'm carrying and if I'm yet to get hit. I know the filters don't work 100% on the transfer method (droplets rather than dust), but it's an extra safety measure. My other half is also wary of me wearing it, saying it advertises that I might have it, but that seems like catch-22. Plus if I do end up fighting the disease, I think looking like Scorpion from MK might give me a psychological advantage.

The other half's work sent a message this morning confirming they'll be looking at furlough for a number of their employees. We've looked at our outgoings and checked that, if needs be, 80% of our pay will cover everything without us having to dip into savings and whatnot. We've not got an expensive lifestyle, just a chunky mortgage, so we've made sure we're as financially and psychologically prepared as possible if things take the next big turn.