Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

Those bastards at the EU gave us the option to use their buying power for more ventilators, the thieving cunts.

On our part, the British government first said we'd "chosen other routes," before somehow changing the story to say we didn't get the emails in time. Magnanimously though, we'll "consider" taking advantage of future chances.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

• Paid Members

I'm certain I've mentioned before that I'm an NHS employee and live in Scotland so I'm sure this isn't relevant for the majority but I just wanted to say to those Bagpipers playing whilst everyone was clapping at 8...... your spoiling it for everyone.

Edited by ElCece

I’m surprised that anyone can be curmudgeonly  about a public show of support for NHS workers.  It doesn’t mean you don’t think they should be paid more, it’s not mutually exclusive.

A nurse who lives on my street lost her mother this week; she went straight back to work in the hospital.  Fucked people for wanting to show her they appreciate her sacrifice though amirite?

42 minutes ago, ElCece said:

I'm certain I've mentioned before that I'm an NHS employee and live in Scotland so I'm sure this isn't relevant for the majority but I just wanted to say to those Bagpipers playing whilst everyone was clapping at 8...... your spoiling it for everyone.

I thought the piper near us really added to the occasion. However, it was only a single piper and he solemnly played highland cathedral while everyone else clapped. 

If it had been multiple pipers of varying quality all trying to play different tunes then I can imagine it would definitely take away from the moment. 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I bet those shaming people are Tory voters as well, in some sick show of irony

I bet a lot of the ones clapping voted Tory as well. Not the best way to show support for the NHS, but at least we're still well on track for that no deal Brexit. 

In a less bitter note we found out today that a few members of my other half's family have got Covid-19. She panicked a bit because she'd seen one of them at the supermarket last week, but didn't stand close enough to have been at risk. We both got the high risk texts yesterday, my Mum's offered to drive over from Blackburn once a week with some shopping for us, and my best mate has said he'll grab us some bits as well if we need anything. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

I thought it was great, personally. With how split the country has been over that past few years, it it was brilliant to see everyone united in something, even if it was only for a few minutes.

• Paid Members

But he was doing such a good job. My Facebook news feed will be clogged with either "pray for B***s" or "haha, Johnson has the COVID-19." maybe time for a little digital detoxing. 

9 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Had the absurdity to call him what almost everyone else (including his colleagues) calls him.

Do you call the leader of the opposition “Jeremy” like his colleagues do?  Quite honestly the reason he can get away with so much shite is because “Boris” is a created character bumbling through life one hilarious farce after another. Alexander Boris de Pfeffil Johnson is a dangerous politician who doesn’t get held to account because he can hide behind the buffoon character called Boris. 

Sorry if this seems like a personal attack, it isn’t meant to be. Obviously we all knew who you meant but I believe that’s all part of the problem.