Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

So... this is going to be a thing isn’t it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51708550

It does feel like we’ve probably missed the boat on containing this virus and it’s going to get into the general population.

For most of us it’ll be fine, but as someone with elderly parents, if they contract it they could be toast.

So yeah... general thread for what will either be the end of all life as we know it, or over by Easter.

• Paid Members

First case in Essex is being treated at Princess Alexandra, @johnnyboy- so could be spreading into our ends soon

We had a review at work today within our department to arrange contingency plans in the event of an outbreak, which is starting to look likely. If you've been to Northern Italy, China, Iran etc within the past month, work from home for 2 weeks. If you start coughing, work from home for 2 weeks. If there is an outbreak, everyone work from home until further notice. We're all going to be working from home very soon by the looks of things. Luckily they shelled out on new laptops for everyone to help with 'agile working' a couple of months ago.

Just got to the 'laminated signage' stage at my work, but the other half's company are doing full-on WFH 'drills' where they're getting whole departments to work from home a day a week over the next month to check the impact on BAU. One of the dopier regs they've declared is that, if you have cold symptoms, you can't come within ten feet of a colleague.

I personally fancy getting it, just because I've never had a proper TKO flu before.

Despite the media hysterics, I do see this as a gone-by-Spring pint-of-Lemsip-down-the-Winchester situation.

I started to feel a bit run down with a cold yesterday and woke up this morning half dead. I'm not saying I've contracted the virus, but it has knocked me for 6. More so than a usual cold. 

And it is quite possible I've picked it up via my boss who travels overseas a lot and recently came back from Dusseldorf and "sat next to a Chinese with a face mask" (his words).

There's no real way to tell based on symptoms alone. And it's more likely I have a common cold. But it's easy to get swept up in this and worry about those around me I might have infected.

• Paid Members

I've just moved to a small city in Spain to start a new job and on Thursday morning I woke up feeling like utter shit. It started as a really sore throat but quickly progressed until the Friday-Saturday peak of the shivers, fever, a throat that felt like it'd be rubbed with a cheesegrater and a terrible cough. I also felt so pitifully weak and frail like a toddler could beat me up and even holding a phone to text felt like climbing a mountain. As each day has passed, I've felt a little better and now it's a constantly running nose, watering eyes and that damned cough. Hoping the recovery continues more tomorrow.

Coincidentally, the first 2 cases of coronavirus were confirmed in this small town today. Could very well just be a regular virus as is quite common to get when you move to new surroundings but I can tell you that it has definitely sucked. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

Having suffered from viral pneumonia I never ever want to have anything like that again. I couldn’t climb a set of 10 steps without gasping for air, took weeks and weeks to recover. 

Two more weeks stuff will start getting shut down and panic buying will be happening fuelled by the media. 

The fucking mail ran a story saying Hyde park would be used as a morgue if needs be. Utter pricks 

Edited by quote the raven

Yeah, anyone saying they fancy a run with the flu has never had it properly.  I got bog standard influenza about a decade ago, and was delirious for 3 days, I could barely walk the dozen yards from the bed to the loo on the rare occasions I was compus mentis enough to even get up.  It is NOT nice.

Looking at the infection rates and fatality rates (2%), this could end up being the most serious health crisis this country has seen since Spanish Flu.  In a very bad year, flu can kill 30,000 people in the UK in a winter.  Given that we have no vaccine, and the fatality rates are four times that of flu, this is worth taking seriously at this stage.

Edit: @wordsfromlee that's not true any more, there are a number of cases now in the country where people have the virus who've not got it from an obvious source.  Which means containment, essentially, has failed.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I thought I’d read that everyone in the UK that has contracted it had either just got back from or been in contact with someone who had just got back from one of the most infected countries ie. China/Italy/Iran?

But they would have probably spread it themselves before getting sick.

• Paid Members

I know it’s irrational but I’m really fucking panicking about this. My Mum and my little niece have lungs made out of paper as it is, if they contract it I don’t see it ending well. I also have a four year old daughter and I’m petrified of her nursery getting it because it would spread like wildfire in those places.

Its all made worse by the fact that if you call 111 and they think it’s possible you have the virus you have to go to a drive through test at Thatcham Hospital. I don’t know if this is just people in Berkshire who phone or if it’s as much as the South of England. But either way there are loads of cars driving round Thatcham Hospital potentially with this fucking thing floating around their body, and Thatcham hospital is right opposite my house! I can almost feel Covid walking over and knocking on my door. 

Im so panicky I’ve told my wife I want to stop trying for a baby and I’m getting closer and closer to just becoming a hermit. Somebody hold me and say it’s all going to be ok! 

@Loki you mentioned Spanish Flu, everyone at work talks about how bad that was, how did the world pull through that one?

Just to be clear, I don't for a minute think this will be as bad as Spanish Flu, either in the UK or worldwide.  Spanish Flu killed more people than WW1 - maybe 50 million.  With modern healthcare, that wouldn't happen today.

Spanish Flu was a one-and-done in that it seems to have mutated quickly to a less lethal variety, so its impact was mainly limited to 1918.  Considering the world was recovering from WW1 the impact of the pandemic was almost wrapped up into that.  There was a population wobble but people got on with having a lot of babies and within a decade it was ancient history.  Odd, but we're a resilient species.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I personally wouldn't recommend having it just for the experience.

To be fair, this is a forum where a bunch of people took a load of stuff to make them poo a lot, so they could experience pooing a lot. So your warning may fall on deaf ears. 

6 hours ago, waters44 said:

Thatcham hospital is right opposite my house! I can almost feel Covid walking over and knocking on my door.

6 hours ago, waters44 said:

Somebody hold me and say it’s all going to be ok!

Do you mind if I pass?

I have been guilty of overthinking it the last few days, which I'm certainly not enjoying. I made a pact with herself not to discuss it unless it was absolutely necessary - such is the general drain of the newsfeed hysteria - but you invariably find yourself reading through new reports and predictions from those in medical science who've developed a budding career in apocalyptic punditry over the last week or two. My wild guess is that the virus will probably peak in the next few weeks, batter the economy a bit and settle into being a normalized part of the flu season.

I'm not a dyed in the wool hypochondriac by any stretch but I do tend to get a bit overemotional about what I see in the news so this special snowflake is looking forward to it fucking off as soon as possible, even if any pragmatic assessment of the situation deems him to be completely fine and able to deal with it. 

11 hours ago, Loki said:

Looking at the infection rates and fatality rates (2%), this could end up being the most serious health crisis this country has seen since Spanish Flu. 

@wordsfromlee (Won't delete)

What about SARS, with a mortality rate of about 10% or Ebola which had an even higher mortality rate?

This is just the latest virus to get a main event push. For the elderly, there's statistically still a far higher chance they'll catch the flu and die from that, so it's daft to be worried about them getting the coronavirus if you wouldn't normally be overly worried about them catching a flu.

I think it'll be like any other outbreak. Mass panic at first, infected numbers charts shooting up at an alarming rate, but a vaccination or whatever found before it gets too out of control. 

Edited by Undefeated Steak