Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

The've cancelled GDC in San Fransisco (Games Development Conference).  So yeah, I'd be thinking about not booking overseas travel for the next couple of months, or making sure you've got ROCK SOLID travel insurance.

I realise I might sound a bit tinfoil-y in this thread.  If you're careful and take precautions I'm sure we'll all be fine.  My main worry is for my elderly parents.  If they were to catch it, I would imagine it'll be serious.  So giving up a few social engagements for a few months seems a small price to pay.

46 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Indecently, middle of last week, I put a notice on my desk stating that due to the current issues with various viruses, I would not be participating with handshakes at the moment (especially not with relatives at home time, waits for cheap pop, doesn’t happen, carry on), and no offence intended.  Was told to remove it this morning as it was “promoting panic”.

I was planning to ask my manager if we could put up similar signs in my office but I have a feeling it won’t go down well

• Awards Moderator

Well this has helped:

But more seriously, I’m with Loki on this one. We’ve had a confirmed case in the hotel next door to my flat and whilst I’m alright with it, my family have reacted differently. Telling me not to go to work, stay indoors etc.

I’m meant to be at a funeral next Friday - an old family friend who, like the vast majority of the mourners who’ll be there, was 70+ so there have been subtle suggestions I don’t go. I’m not symptomatic in the slightest, but the worry is there. 

So one of my pals who's been teaching over in China for the past couple of years decided he'd had enough last week (conditions over there sound horrendous at the moment) and told us he was coming home.  We all told him he'd have no chance of getting back into the country from China without being quarantined but he was undeterred.  He told us he was due to fly in to London on Friday and then on to Glasgow later that night but we assured him there was no way he was getting past London and to try to get a refund for the Glasgow flight.  Much to our surprise we got a message from him that day saying he was in London waiting for the flight to Glasgow.  That's odd, we thought.  Why would they let him get on another plane just to quarantine him in Glasgow instead?  Didn't think any more of it and woke up the next morning to a message saying he'd been spotted walking into the local McDonalds in town.  Turns out he walked right through multiple customs/security with not a single question being asked and jumped on the first bus home!  Unsurprisingly none of us took him up on the offer of meeting for a pint that night.

No idea to be honest.  I just know we have multiple people at my work quarantined over the past couple of weeks (some at home, some in actual facilities) after flying back from Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore and even places in Europe so the fact our pal managed to get right through from China with zero intervention was pretty astounding. 

Not everybody coming in from China is being quarantined are they?, its just people from the High Risk areas (Wuhan etc) same with people coming in from Italy and other areas identified as High Risk 

I'm guessing he wasn't coming in from a High Risk area 

So what does it mean when you suddenly wake in the middle of the night with the most intense stomach cramps I've ever experienced, and then immediately follow it up by covering the bed with pure concentrated brown evil? 

I've had diarrhea before. This wasn't watery spluttery brown liquid. I can only describe it as poo puree. 

Fortunately for my wife I'm currently sleeping in the spare bed, which I'll now have to douse in petrol and set alight. 

I'm now trying to sleep on the sofa and worrying about what will happen when I sneeze. 

6 hours ago, Steve Justice said:

So what does it mean when you suddenly wake in the middle of the night with the most intense stomach cramps I've ever experienced, and then immediately follow it up by covering the bed with pure concentrated brown evil? 

I've had diarrhea before. This wasn't watery spluttery brown liquid. I can only describe it as poo puree. 

Fortunately for my wife I'm currently sleeping in the spare bed, which I'll now have to douse in petrol and set alight. 

I'm now trying to sleep on the sofa and worrying about what will happen when I sneeze. 

Were you sleeping on your front or your back?