Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

There have been cases with GI problems, but it's not common enough to add to the list of actual symptoms. 

It's most likely because I've been taking cold/flu tablets every 4 hours since Sunday, sometimes with ibuprofen in between, and not really eating anything for 2 days and then scoffing a Papa John's pizza. 

That'd do it.

EDIT: I can't believe this has already turned into a Steve Justice Shitting thread.  We just can't help ourselves.

Edited by Loki

I think working from home is inevitable in the coming weeks. The tube etc. are absolutely hives for shit like this and it only takes one person in an office or a building for this to be an issue. It seems the UK at the moment has it relatively well contained, but chances are its going to become more prominent. Our office has already made us check we can so I assume its a matter of time.

One positive, a lot of people have discovered that they should be washing their bloody hands the dirty bastards.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Briefcase said:

It's bad enough using public transport at the best of times, but couldn't imagine how awful it is now looking at everyone who sneezes/coughs. 

My better half has developed a cold since yesterday and happened to be on a one-off work visit in London yesterday and today. She said it was agony trying to hold in a cough on the Tube for up to an hour at a time to avoid stares. I've since picked her up and she's working at home now coughing to her heart's content. The little pleasures in life.

• Awards Moderator

My dad flew in from Kuala Lumpur this morning. After landing at Heathrow there was a long delay, followed by an announcement asking for anyone feeling ill, to let an attendant know. Cue one passenger being walked to the back of the plane, and everyone else in the rear being moved to a safe zone at the front. 

He was delayed on the tarmac 90 minutes. Given he gets huffy when he has to hard-boil an egg, he was fucking livid. 

I can see the news media tiring of reporting this with its current fervour before cases have even slowed down. Make no mistake, I am taking it as seriously and pragmatic as necessary - with the associated common sense hygiene measures - but at the end of the day unless the actual mortality rate starts shooting up too I can't see a way out of this just becoming a regular part of the flu season now.

The silver lining there is that the panic will go down immeasurably, some of the more unsavoury "GIVE ME THE ADDRESSES OF THE CHILDREN WHO WERE INFECTED AND CANCEL THE ECONOMY" lunatics will fuck off, and we'll all get on with it a whole lot better. Again not making light of it - and the current awareness levels we have around it are useful - but this isn't the apocalypse. The most miserable thing for the vast majority of us about it is the constant shroud of doomsday coverage.

As crazy as it might seem right now, I can see people tiring of this mid spread and moving on to something else. That's social media for you. My hunch is that we'll get bored of it before it gets bored of us. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

That's what it wants, the bastard. Right now it's a pair of eyes looking out from a drain while helicopter search lights circle overhead. But they're not panicked eyes, no. They're smug, confident, patient eyes, under a speech bubble reading "SOON..."

The NHS have been rolling out presentations on the virus for their staff. I know two people who have been on them already, and from the information they've shared it's worse than the media are reporting (possible government media control to stop widespread panic?), and it's going to get worse across April and May. 

They've actually both said that the details that were presented to them have worried them more than when they had similar presentations regarding SARS, Ebola etc.

• Paid Members

in Jersey, a local politician Tweeted out a photo from the emergency planning meeting at the hospital - accidentally including a picture of the slide with the worst case scenario mortality rates on it. So that's fun, and pretty much tells everyone who sees it that we're woefully ill-equipped to deal with it.

I've had a sore throat and dry cough all week, which is nothing new for me, I'm pretty much always run down and under the weather, and at this time of the year everyone in the office has a cold anyway. But now I'm just extremely self-conscious of it, which is weird.

Compounded it by coming to work with a bastard of a hangover this morning. 

• Paid Members

What gets me about it all, is that everyone is jazz handing and their pots are gone, scrambling to buy and wear masks, shops are running out of hand sanitisers which are being pumped by the second, yet on - let's say - Saturday night, some of these very people are going to be hoovering shite up their noses via banknotes of mysterious origin and journey, followed by barebacking strangers and tonguing their bumholes.
Madness.